Author Topic: Rookie Promotion - The Big O and The Human Wrecking Ball  (Read 4752 times)

tony_montana

Re: Rookie Promotion - The Big O and The Human Wrecking Ball
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 08:46:10 PM »
I ultimately think this was the wisest choice.

What happens if Hampson does a hamstring and is out for a month?

No Maric for 6 weeks.  No Hampson for 4.

That would mean our only rucks would be Vickery and Griffiths neither of who are bona fide ruckmen. We would have to start the year against reasonable opposition at a huge disadvantage.

Yes, I would have loved to see Miles and to a lesser extent Banfield, but they will get their chance if we have a long term injury.

Good thinking 99……….as they say!

The thing is by the time Maric is recovered enough to get back into full training he will have missed nearly 3 months of training so there is no chance he'd be close to selection before round 7 or 8 anyhow imo. Will need 2-4 weeks of full training to get conditioning back up. Hence why I would have put Maric on LTI, elevated Miles and bring in big O only if Hampson or Griff go down. Even if Griff goes down I seriously doubt Dimma would play Big O in the side anyway, with the cap on interchange you need players who can contribute around the ground, don't think he can

I think you are making an error here.  The 5 to 6 weeks listed INCLUDE recovery to full training.  Why are you adding further weeks?  If that was the case the club would have already put him on the LTI.

Even so, 5 or 6 weeks to recovery to full training means he'll start full training in 5-6 weeks. He's already missed 3 weeks and prior to that was not training anywhere near capacity due to recovery from groin op so his base will be non existent, hence why I am adding the extra 2-4 weeks after he resumes full training as I believe he will need those weeks to build up some sort of base.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2014, 08:48:46 PM »
I reckon people getting a bit over board with the miles love
agree. Was ordinary in VFL the other day. I only saw part of the Sandy VFL game but Thomas was better at that level from what I saw. I also think he's slightly ahead of miles at afl level.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2014, 08:49:05 PM »

That would mean our only rucks would be Vickery and Griffiths neither of who are bona fide ruckmen. We would have to start the year against reasonable opposition at a huge disadvantage.

Yes, I would have loved to see Miles and to a lesser extent Banfield, but they will get their chance if we have a long term injury.

The thing is by the time Maric is recovered enough to get back into full training he will have missed nearly 3 months of training so there is no chance he'd be close to selection before round 7 or 8 anyhow imo. Will need 2-4 weeks of full training to get conditioning back up. Hence why I would have put Maric on LTI, elevated Miles and bring in big O only if Hampson or Griff go down. Even if Griff goes down I seriously doubt Dimma would play Big O in the side anyway, with the cap on interchange you need players who can contribute around the ground, don't think he can

I think you are making an error here.  The 5 to 6 weeks listed INCLUDE recovery to full training.  Why are you adding further weeks?  If that was the case the club would have already put him on the LTI.

Even so, 5 or 6 weeks to recovery to full training means he'll start full training in 5-6 weeks. He's already missed 3 weeks and prior to that was not training anywhere near capacity due to recovery from groin op so his base will be non existent, hence why I am adding the extra 2-4 weeks after he resumes full training as I believe he will need those weeks to build up some sort of base.
To be fair Tony, if that is the case, why didn't they just put him on the LTI list and promote 3 players including Stephenson?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2014, 08:50:15 PM »

theyll want him to play VFL during that period to get match fitness. LTI means he can't.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2014, 08:53:13 PM »

theyll want him to play VFL during that period to get match fitness. LTI means he can't.
Are you sure of that?

I thought you could play VFL but not AFL. 

No you are correct.  Just looked it up. Cannot play in the AFL competition or a State body competition whilst on the LTI. :thumbsup
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »

To be fair Tony, if that is the case, why didn't they just put him on the LTI list and promote 3 players including Stephenson?

Exactly, that's my point, I just don't see the logic in not doing just that(my reasons are in previous post). Look if he comes back in round 5 and is raring to go, I'll happily admit I got it wrong, but I have yet to see the player that can be anywhere near their best on the back of a seriously interrupted preseason. We have hammer now, put Maric on ice and get him a serious fitness base and sufficient recovery time so he can be fresh and fit for the 2nd half of the year

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 09:04:40 PM »
The big O is a bit surprising for me, I thought Griff and Vicks could of picked up the slack. When you look at it though we now have two tap ruckman that are massive and will give our kids first use of the ball at set plays. I wonder if they will play them both?
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2014, 09:07:26 PM »
if O ends up not playing this season, seniors, its a very good sign...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:28:45 PM by Judge Roughneck »

tony_montana

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »
it O ends up not playing this season seniors its a very good sign...

:yep

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
Big O's ruck work is very good. He competes well around the ground and has a real crack. Good enough for me from a promoted rookie.
If he was 25 he would definitely be on a senior list.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2014, 09:28:08 PM »
Lmao@ our most important player, structurally, missing 8 weeks because of dimwit medicos
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2014, 10:38:36 PM »
I reckon people getting a bit over board with the miles love
agree. Was ordinary in VFL the other day. I only saw part of the Sandy VFL game but Thomas was better at that level from what I saw. I also think he's slightly ahead of miles at afl level.
Was plenty to like about both miles games at the level before going back to vfl, no rush with him though, Thomas can step right into where tucky left off, Milesy can play his way into the side, I'd say he'd be waiting for foley or Edwards to drop off
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2014, 10:41:29 PM »
VIDEO: Thomas speaks with Richo about his elevation off the rookie list ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-03-11/thomas-on-elevation

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2014, 11:02:04 PM »
Amusing that some here are now apparently giving more weight to Miles' one poor reserves matches than his two good senior performances.

Agree people were going off prematurely and getting carried away with Miles but he's still clearly a class above Turnover Thomas whose entire AFL career thus far has been woeful with the sole highlight of bullying the Carlton midfield off the park once in 2012 - the almost exact same claim to fame btw, right down to the year but minus the broken Carrazzo collarbone, that he shares with Sam Lonergan... and let's face it, winning a McGoo Medal is probably something even Tambling could have a fair crack at.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 12:10:27 AM »
Amusing that some here are now apparently giving more weight to Miles' one poor reserves matches than his two good senior performances.

Agree people were going off prematurely and getting carried away with Miles but he's still clearly a class above Turnover Thomas whose entire AFL career thus far has been woeful with the sole highlight of bullying the Carlton midfield off the park once in 2012 - the almost exact same claim to fame btw, right down to the year but minus the broken Carrazzo collarbone, that he shares with Sam Lonergan... and let's face it, winning a McGoo Medal is probably something even Tambling could have a fair crack at.
thomas has played 2 good games of AFL and 1 of VFL.