Author Topic: ‘Three would be nice, wouldn’t it?’ - Jack Riewoldt on 2020 (Herald-Sun)  (Read 684 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘Three would be nice, wouldn’t it?’

Nick Smart
Herald-Sun
1 Oct 2019

Richmond star Jack Riewoldt says he is far from satisfied, admitting he already has one eye on 2020 and the opportunity to become a triple premiership player.

The Tigers are still basking in their premiership success after their 89-point thrashing of GWS Giants in the Grand Final.

But Riewoldt, speaking on Fox Footy’s AFL 360 on Monday night, said two flags in three years has only whetted the appetite at Punt Rd.

“I feel fulfilled, I definitely feel that winning a flag is a great achievement,” Riewoldt said,

“But there’s always the (feeling of), ‘I wouldn’t mind another one’.

“It’s that reason that you play, that in two weeks’ time we start running again to get ready for season 2020.

“We enjoy this one and we celebrate, but you always have one eye looking forward thinking, ‘Three would be nice, wouldn’t it?’.

“If I finish my career as a two-time premiership player, I’ll be definitely fulfilled, but I’m always searching.”

Riewoldt, who kicked five goals in the Grand Final, described debutant Marlion Pickett’s goal in the third quarter as his “favourite moment of the Grand Final, hand down.”

“I was borderline crying when he kicked that goal, just through pure emotion,” Riewoldt told AFL360.

“The ability for arguably the best player in the competition, who was on the verge of winning his second Norm Smith Medal, to go out of his way to get it to a bloke in his first game, I’m so proud of the club just for that reason.

“No individual sees themselves above anyone else.”

The Tigers spearhead said he had made a concerted effort to get around the Richmond players that missed out on playing in the Grand Final.

“Post the game the celebration straight away is so euphoric, but this year I’ve done more reflecting in knowing there are guys that have missed out,” he said.

“The ability got for the club to try and get everyone involved that has played a part, whether they’re a player or a staff member or whoever, has been the sole focus of the leadership group to make sure there is no stone unturned and everyone understands it’s a whole club cup.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond/jack-riewoldt-already-thinking-of-2020-and-the-chance-to-win-a-third-premiership/news-story/eac17a3cfd0b2a0b632422117d7c53b6

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
And 4 would be better than 3. Got to make this count. Great coach. Great team. Superstar players like Martin. Have got to get 3 or 4 or even 5 flags out of this groupm

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
All about succession planning.

Cotchin + Jack in the twilight. Rance, Houli + Edwards not far off.

Need to manage their workloads throughout the year and make sure we have the cattle to take over.

Need another KPF to replace Jack (structure looks better with 2 tall fowards) and it wouldn't surprise me if Dusty became a semi-permanent forward in a year or two when Jack retires.

Cotchin is close to surplus talent for me, it's his leadership we need most. Enter Vlastuin, Grimes + Graham.

Rance needs to be replaced. Could Balta do it?

Houli needs to be replaced. Stack, Baker, Short, DES?

Edwards needs to be replaced. Pickett is the man.

Then there's Dusty... well, he simply cannot be replaced. We just need him to get as many ladies pregnant as possible.