Author Topic: “Did you used to play?“: Former Richmond captain draws blank looks (SEN)  (Read 787 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
“Did you used to play?“: Former Richmond captain draws blanks

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
2020-03-25

Former Richmond captain Wayne Campbell admits it is not easy to be recognised nowadays despite a quality playing career that only ended in 2005.

The 297-game Tiger, four-time Jack Dyer Medallist and recently departed GWS head of footy found that out when he had a kick with a youngster down at a local park.

Despite his standing in the game, the Richmond Hall of Famer only attracted blanks from his new-found kicking partner.

Andy Maher was talking up Campbell’s CV when introducing him as a guest on SEN’s Bob and Andy which prompted the anecdote.

“Speaking of the CV, I did have to explain it to a young fella just before,” Campbell said.

“I went for a run at a park nearby and I saw this young fella, he was probably 22 or 23, having a kick of the footy by himself. We’ve all done that and it’s terrible, it’s boring.

“I’ve never done this before but I went over to him and said, ‘Do you want to have a kick mate? Do you want a partner?’

“He said, ‘Yeah, no worries at all’.

“So I started having a kick and he said, ‘Did you used to play back in the day?’

“For a start I thought, ‘Back in the day’, do I look that old? But I said, ‘Yeah, yeah’, he said, ‘Who for?’, and I said, ‘Richmond’.

“He said, ‘What’s your name?’

“I thought as I explained the name his face might light up, but it didn’t.

“I said the name and it was still blank. It put me back in my box.”

Asked how he was hitting them, Campbell responded in humble fashion.

“Ok. I did my left hamstring two weeks so I wasn’t belting them with my left,” he added.

“I ran him around a little bit, the young fella. He got a bit of a sweat up so it was ok.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/03/24/did-you-used-to-play-former-richmond-captain-draws-blanks/#

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
There so many references kids don't get these days like dial tone etc