Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 214727 times)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #780 on: June 01, 2009, 04:53:55 PM »
Has there actually been any real complaints over this?

From family groups or politicians or anyone??
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #781 on: June 01, 2009, 09:26:18 PM »
Andy D has told Cousins he should apologise and Cousins will probably cop a fine. Bucks said tonight he reckons the AFL will come down heavy on Cousins with a $5000 fine because "they don't like him".

Benny said on Nova today that a cameraman friend of his was freelancing at the ground and he thought he might have been doing the rotating camera in the changeroom so he flicked the bird as a joke.

http://www.nova100.com.au/site/shows/hughesy_and_kate.aspx

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #782 on: June 01, 2009, 09:39:26 PM »

No its the AFL perceiving that people care and keeping those soccer mums happy in the hope their kids will take up AFL as the ethics are what they should be. Those middle class conservative types who are shocked at the sight of someone giving the bird but when they don't indicate and change lanes in their Honda CRV'S BMW 4WD or Ford Territories and you beep at them are more than happy to give you the bird and give you the f word and engage in a small dose of road rage in full view of their three kids under 9 in the back. :whistle
Tonight these type of people are sleeping easier knowing Andy D has acted so swiftly on it.

Ramps

« Reply #783 on: June 01, 2009, 10:11:02 PM »
We dont have enough of the Ben Cousins type. The type that is "up yours" in your face and can back it up. Deledio and Tambling and afew others could learn abit of arrogance as well. Must keep for 2010 atleast.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #784 on: June 02, 2009, 04:57:16 AM »
Cousins faces heavy fine for 'salute'
Samantha Lane | June 2, 2009

SHOULD Ben Cousins offer the AFL today the same breezy explanation for his pre-match one-finger salute that he did to the public yesterday he can expect a fine of $5000 — possibly more.

The league's head of football operations, Adrian Anderson, has given Cousins until this afternoon to provide an account for his actions on Saturday night in Perth where, in the changerooms before a match, Cousins raised a middle finger at a television camera.

Anderson will review Cousins' response before determining a sanction, possibly by late today. AFL boss Andrew Demetriou has already made it clear, however, that he was disgusted by Cousins' rebellious display, branding it "totally unnecessary" and "unwarranted".

Anderson will use the league's fining of former Eagle Michael Braun in 2007 as a reference point in the Cousins case. Braun swore in a post-match interview that was broadcast on national television and after the club proposed to fine him $500 the AFL multiplied the sanction by 10.

That sum was considered to be on the lenient side by the AFL, that factored in Braun's clean record, which would suggest Cousins — suspended for the 2008 season for bringing the game into disrepute through his drug use — could be in line for a greater penalty.

Speaking at a medal presentation after he had been voted best on ground early in the 2007 season Braun said: "Thanks to all the fans for sticking by us through the tough times. Now let's have a great f ---ing year."

Richmond does not intend to fine Cousins and issued a short statement on Sunday night that quoted him as saying: "It was never my intention to cause any offence. However, I appreciate that my actions could have caused offence to some people, and for that I apologise."

However on his regular radio appearance yesterday, Cousins showed minimal remorse. He said the footage, which he said he saw for the first time before yesterday's radio interview, was "quite humorous".

"What did it make me think?" he said. "I thought it was still quite humorous, but I guess I'm somebody that doesn't find that offensive.

"Now if there's people out there that do, I apologise … it wasn't meant to do that in any way," Cousins said.

To the suggestion that his action was a bad example to children, Cousins laughingly replied: "You'd like to think parents would have steered their children away from me a long time ago."

Cousins said he thought a friend was working in Network Ten's editing van at Subiaco on Saturday night and that he hoped that friend might have seen his gesture and found it amusing.

"… (he) was freelancing that particular day, he's a mate of mine who worked on the documentary. I thought, on the off chance he may have been sitting in the van, it might have got a bit of a giggle about it," Cousins said.

Channel Ten was yesterday unaware of who Cousins was talking about and the network's head of AFL coverage, David Barham, stood by his decision to air the footage.

In a newspaper column yesterday, Cousins urged people not to be too precious about something he estimated he had done about half a dozen times over his career as a means of joking with staff in the TV broadcast vans who were monitoring the cameras.

The matter is being handled by the AFL's football operations department rather than the match review panel because, like the Braun case, it relates to an incident that occurred out of play.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/cousins-faces-heavy-fine/2009/06/01/1243708401229.html

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #785 on: June 02, 2009, 05:01:21 AM »
Ben Cousins's D-day to explain
Bruce Matthews | June 02, 2009

VIDEO footage will force Richmond's Ben Cousins to explain his pre-game one-finger salute ... while a lack of evidence has allowed him to avoid a possible charge for high contact in the match against Fremantle.

Today is the deadline for Cousins to reply to an AFL letter over his obscene gesture, captured on camera in the dressing rooms, before Saturday night's game in Perth.

He's liable to a $1200 fine, reduced to $900 for admitting guilt, if cited for the gesture.

The match review panel yesterday assessed his clash with Byron Schammer after the incident was referred to it by an umpire, but decided to take no action because of insufficient video evidence.

Richmond football manager Craig Cameron said officials and senior players would meet Cousins today to discuss his gesture.

"I spoke to the leadership group this morning. We'll all sit down and have a chat with Ben and deal with that all in the appropriate manner. But you can rest assured we're actually going to deal with the process," Cameron said.

Channel 10 yesterday was puzzled by Cousins' claims that he was joking with a mate in the outside broadcast van who had worked as a cameraman on his documentary.

"Ben's claims are news to us. We use a freelance crew in Perth and no one on the night put up their hand to say they were a mate of Ben's or had worked with him on his documentary," a spokesperson said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25572357-19742,00.html

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #786 on: June 02, 2009, 03:46:21 PM »

No its the AFL perceiving that people care and keeping those soccer mums happy in the hope their kids will take up AFL as the ethics are what they should be. Those middle class conservative types who are shocked at the sight of someone giving the bird but when they don't indicate and change lanes in their Honda CRV'S BMW 4WD or Ford Territories and you beep at them are more than happy to give you the bird and give you the f word and engage in a small dose of road rage in full view of their three kids under 9 in the back. :whistle
Tonight these type of people are sleeping easier knowing Andy D has acted so swiftly on it.
Yeah like these kids have never seen their parents or the kids at school do the same thing ::)  Why isn't stupid Andy D asking Channel 10 to "please explain" and the other media outlets for constantly showing the footage?

bushranger

« Reply #787 on: June 02, 2009, 03:51:29 PM »
That what I think to. It was a bloody disgrace what the channels have done seeing it was well and truely behind closed doors.
And those dopey pricks on the footy classified like lyon said he would have shown it to if it was at 9.
Just goes to show they want to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
It is something that should never have been aired but oh no they just couldn't hold back.
Morons.  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #788 on: June 02, 2009, 06:12:55 PM »
3aw whisper is the playing group have fined Ben $5000 for showing the 'bird' with half of it suspended on a one year good behaviour bond.

It's up to the AFL now to determine whether they think that's a strong enough punishment.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #789 on: June 02, 2009, 07:42:42 PM »
3aw whisper is the playing group have fined Ben $5000 for showing the 'bird' with half of it suspended on a one year good behaviour bond.

It's up to the AFL now to determine whether they think that's a strong enough punishment.

Ch 7 news reported that the Club had fined Benny $5,000 and the AFL had also fined him $5,000. But the AFL ones is suspended for 12 months
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #790 on: June 02, 2009, 08:03:33 PM »
If it wasn't Cousins or some other player who has a 'bad boy' reputation like Didak or Kerr you'd doubt Ch 10 would have shown it given Ch 10 were off-air at the time and it happened an hour before the game. The cameraman in the van was probably following Ben everywhere around the changerooms for a long time to get a reaction and Cuz flipped the bird to tell him where to go.

Cuz probably now has a title and opening scene for his doco being an ex-Eagle and former drug addict - "flipping the Bird".
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #791 on: June 02, 2009, 09:11:38 PM »
AFL website saying

RFC fine $5k with half suspended for 12 months

AFL fine $5k all suspended for 12 months as long as Benny's a good boy ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #792 on: June 02, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »
'Sorry' Cousins fined $10,000 by Tigers, League
afl.com.au
Tue 02 June, 2009

RICHMOND midfielder Ben Cousins has been fined a total of $10,000 for his offensive gesture to a TV camera in the rooms before Saturday night's clash with Fremantle at Subiaco Oval.

The club and AFL have both sanctioned Cousins $5000 for the incident, however, half of his penalty from the Tigers has been suspended for 12 months.

The League's fine has also been suspended in full for that period, provided Cousins pays his club penalty and doesn't re-offend.

A statement was released by the AFL on Tuesday night, with football operations manager Adrian Anderson confirming that a written explanation had been received from Cousins along with his apology for the incident.

"Mr Anderson said the AFL had taken into account the Richmond Football Club’s decision to impose a financial sanction, his apology and his explanation and decided to impose a sanction of $5000," it read.

Within his explanation to the League, Cousins also noted his column in a Melbourne newspaper was written before he had seen the footage and agreed he had not been contrite enough.

"I met with the club this morning and have accepted their fine," Cousins said in a statement released by Richmond, also on Tuesday night.

"I apologised for raising my finger and explained that it was not a gesture I ever thought would go to air.

"I hadn’t seen the footage until yesterday (Monday) afternoon and wasn’t aware of my facial expression. Once I viewed the footage I realised why the public, the AFL and the Richmond Football Club were offended by my actions."

Richmond's general manager of football Craig Cameron said Cousins' action was "a breach of our standards".

"We have key behaviours and standards that the playing group are supposed to uphold," he said. "...that is why it was important that Ben apologised and was also fined.

"As far as we are concerned the issue has been addressed by the club, we have told Ben we were disappointed with his actions and we are all ready to move on from this topic."

Cousins said on Melbourne radio station Nova 100 on Monday morning that, "one of the cameramen is a mate of mine … I thought on the off chance he might've been sitting in the van, he might've got a giggle out of it."

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said on ABC Radio on Sunday that he was disappointed with Cousins' action and warned he would receive a 'please explain' about it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/78115/default.aspx

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #793 on: June 02, 2009, 10:18:58 PM »
Gee wonder if the AFL will fine the Chief and Quaters for their immature carry on on the radio that they replayed on Footy Classified.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #794 on: June 02, 2009, 11:26:13 PM »
How much did Richo and Browny cop for their "bird"s?

Cuz could have crashed Heath Shaw's car twice and lied about it for that fine amount  :whistle
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd