Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 214619 times)

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #885 on: July 16, 2009, 08:03:15 PM »
so lids doesn't get any hard ball , again show some knowledge of footy or get off.

Jackstar is back

« Reply #886 on: July 16, 2009, 08:13:07 PM »
If any or you know ANYTHING about football, Clinton King was one of the many reasons we played finals in 2001. FACT. Had gun year.
Pity he broke his leg, was never the same

Ox

« Reply #887 on: July 16, 2009, 10:46:26 PM »
Don't try and tell pole-lord about footy jak.He's knows more than anyone  :wallywink

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #888 on: July 18, 2009, 03:55:01 PM »
Cuz now on the speakers circuit...

Cousins reveals ups and downs
Herald-Sun | Sat 18 July 2009, Page 100
By Fiona Byrne, Alice Coster and Katherine Firkin

BEN Cousins will be part of the Sports Success Panel at the Herald Sun Melbourne Career Expo. Cousins will speak about the ups and downs of fame.

After reaching the highest levels of AFL football with the West Cost Eagles, Cousins battled drug addiction and stepped out of football before resurrecting his career at Richmond.

Cousins can talk from first-hand experience about overcoming adversity, confronting problems and getting your life back on track.

He will take part in the panel at the Herald Sun Career Expo, at the Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre next Friday.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #889 on: July 18, 2009, 04:46:43 PM »
Jack come on lets be realistic there were many reasons we played finals in 2001, if you believe Clinton was one of them then so be it. I'll happily agree that one of the biggest things in helping teams play finals is the form of the lower tier of players. Clinton was the lower tier and in some fans eyes may have seen as playing well.

2001 Stats:         G    Av.K   Av.H  Av.D  Av M  Av G  Av B
Home & Away     13     8.9     9.7     18.6      2.9       0.6    0.5

Serviceable prob at best. For his standards had a good year.

Was certainly not immune from the odd mega clanger.

As far as the hypocrite call, there is a difference between being genuinely abusive in a public manner, spamming disgusting profanity for eyes of all to read and simply implying someone should be off the ground.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #890 on: July 19, 2009, 04:22:33 AM »
Cuz set to lift the lid
By Tony Sheahan
Sunday Herald-Sun 19 JUL 2009, Page S14

RICHMOND star Ben Cousins is set to reveal never-before-heard tales of his troubled past in an exclusive tell-all in Perth on August 30.

Cousins has joined forces with Tigers legend Kevin Sheedy, with the pair set to bedazzle Perth's public at a $200-a-head fundraiser lunch at the Perth Convention Centre.

Convention centre management confirmed the booking to the Sunday Herald Sun via phone on Friday.

The event is believed to be a one-off and will be held in the Convention centre's ballroom, which can hold up to 1500 people.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #891 on: July 19, 2009, 10:29:10 AM »
Cogs for Cuz today?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #892 on: July 20, 2009, 03:38:20 PM »
Cousins has swine flu scare
Tim Clarke
July 20, 2009 - 12:41PM

Ben Cousins has revealed he was prescribed a course of Tamiflu last week as a precaution against a possible dose of swine flu.

The Eagles turned Richmond superstar was a late scratching from the dramatic drawn clash with North Melbourne yesterday, having been laid low with illness all last week.

Speaking on Nova 937 in Melbourne this morning, Cousins refused to say whether his bout of illness had been the influenza A(H1N1) virus strain, but said he had been prescribed the treatment.

"This flu virus I have had all week has worn me down, and it is a case of be careful what you wish for because a couple of weeks ago I thought it would be great to get that swine flu," Cousins said.

"A nice week in quarantine, a bit of quiet time would not have to talk to anyone - I was hanging out at the airport on my day off.

"But this has absolutely wiped me - and they have given me some of the Tamiflu tablets just as a precautionary."

Cousins said he will definitely be well enough to return for Richmond against Essendon next week, with the Tigers still reeling from giving up a seven goal lead to the Kangaroos on Sunday to end in draw.

The former Eagles skipper said extra time should be considered to resolve tied results, despite the AFL rejecting the idea again today.

"It is an empty feeling and perhaps there should be a concept of extra time to get a result," Cousins said.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cousins-has-swine-flu-scare-20090720-dqdo.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #893 on: July 21, 2009, 02:24:50 PM »
Cousins Tigers' missing inspiration
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen Tue 21 July, 2009

RICHMOND caretaker coach Jade Rawlings says he is prepared to be considered over-zealous in his views on Ben Cousins because every bit of praise is warranted.

After an injury-destroyed start to the season, Cousins has improved with every game and Rawlings is rapt with the former Eagle's contribution on and off the field.

"He is a very impressive bloke," Rawlings told afl.com.au. "We've scratched the surface a little bit of what he's dealing with, moving interstate and the history, and we have a good open discussion once a week, he and I.

"Whether it starts with footy and goes elsewhere, I really look forward to those chats because he's a terrific guy.

"I rate him hugely and if it means I'm going over the top with my praise for him, I don't really care because I think he deserves it with how he's gone about it."

Cousins injured his hamstring in round one and returned through Coburg in the VFL, where Rawlings was coach at the time.

He flirted with his form of old when collecting 35 possessions against Carlton in round 15 and Rawlings said the 31-year-old had been outstanding at both levels.

"He's a beauty. He's been absolutely sensational for me, both when he played one game at Coburg – he was brilliant, and our Coburg-listed players just loved the experience – and in the four games I've coached him at AFL.

"He will try and carry out the instructions that have been put forward to him, but he plays so much on instinct.

"I've challenged him twice in-game, and the response I've got both times has been profound. He loves being challenged, because most of the time he knows he goes about it the right way.

"But if he's challenged, it seems there's something sub-conscious within him that he wants to prove someone wrong or try and correct it for you and do something about it. I don't know which one motivates him, but he's been excellent."

Rawlings is not the only one at Richmond who has been captured by Cousins and he added that the Brownlow Medallist had now found his place within the team.

Midfielder Brett Deledio said last week that the club had to keep Cousins on because of how much his hard work inspired his teammates.

"I don't know if revere him is too strong a word but I think he feels comfortable and they treat him as one of the boys now, where early in the piece that wasn't the case because of his star factor," Rawlings said.

"But he's having contributions in meetings, he's got strong opinions and I think he sees the game well.

"For someone coming back in to the game, trying to restore their reputation and influence games of footy – to still do what he does for his teammates, and the energy that he shows in the rooms before a game, trying to rev his teammates up – I think that's lacked a little bit in this group over the years.

"They don't have someone who can really get them going spiritually. He's brought that to the table."

Ahead of Rawlings' first game in charge, against West Coast, Cousins gave a powerful speech to the other midfielders before the Tigers took to the field for a first quarter that set up the victory.

"I wasn't privy to it, but I got a bit of feedback about what it was about, and people just wanted to capture it, what he was able to say and how he worded it," Rawlings said.

"The feedback from the midfielders, and also Wayne (Campbell, assistant coach), was that if we could bottle it up and retain it, it will put us in good stead and serve us well in the future.

"He's got a very good understanding of the game and what's required to be successful."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/81043/default.aspx

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #894 on: July 21, 2009, 03:27:04 PM »
Can't be said enough - we have to keep leaders like Cousins on next year to help our younger players develop not only skill-wise and strategy-wise but most of all mentally - pushing themselves, playing for each other, demanding excellence.

Benny will have a hugely positive influence on our future success regardless of how long he performs on-field himself. A born leader and most probably, coach too.  :thumbsup

Stripes

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #895 on: July 21, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »
Ben will be the unofficial captain of the RFC for the rest of his playing career.
Unleash the tornado

Ox

« Reply #896 on: July 21, 2009, 04:04:38 PM »
He wants to stick around too. :shh

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #897 on: July 21, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »
He wants to stick around too. :shh

You can tell. He looks pretty keen out there.

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #898 on: July 21, 2009, 10:04:42 PM »
we'd probably lose quite a few new members if we didn't resign him.
love his influence on the team, plus makes rfc an attractive destination for gun players.

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #899 on: July 21, 2009, 10:14:51 PM »
perhaps he will end up having a profound effect on this club in the future, could be one of our better moves in recent years.