Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 214698 times)

Ramps

Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #1230 on: August 14, 2010, 10:02:41 PM »
what's to effin decide,seriously?

Do u keep the best gut runner,grand final star,brownlow medalist who clearly has another season in him or do u keep the hislops,thomsens,mcmahons,polos,etc.

This is bull poo.

:clapping

And the worst thing is some are only looking at 4 or 5 changes lol - you gotta be stuffen kidding me!

Ox

« Reply #1231 on: August 15, 2010, 01:53:14 AM »
THE LIST.

* Astbury, David
    * Browne, Andrew
    * Collins, Andrew
    * Connors, Daniel
    * Cotchin, Trent
    * Cousins, Ben
    * Dea, Matthew
    * Deledio, Brett
    * Edwards, Shane
    * Farmer, Mitch
    * Foley, Nathan
    * Graham, Angus
    * Griffiths, Ben
    * Grimes, Dylan
    * Hislop, Tom
    * Jackson, Daniel
    * King, Jake
    * McGuane, Luke
    * McMahon, Jordan

* Martin, Dustin
    * Moore, Kelvin
    * Morton, Mitch
    * Nahas, Robin
    * Nason, Ben
    * Newman, Chris
    * Polo, Dean
    * Post, Jayden
    * Rance, Alex
    * Riewoldt, Jack
    * Simmonds, Troy
    * Tambling, Richard
    * Taylor, Troy
    * Thomson, Adam
    * Thursfield, Will
    * Tuck, Shane
    * Vickery, Tyrone
    * Webberley, Jeromey
    * White, Matt

Players that would serve the clubs development in the next twelve months far less than Cousins.

* Polo, Dean
    * Rance, Alex
    * Simmonds, Troy
    * Thomson, Adam
    * Thursfield, Will
    * Hislop, Tom
    * McGuane, Luke
    * McMahon, Jordan
    * Moore, Kelvin
    * Farmer, Mitch
    * Tambling, Richard

Unfortunately,as i stated per-per season-we have no back line.
Other than Newman,who has only recently come good and played a handful of inspired games(sorry WP-I DGAF what you say :lol) and now Lids using his talent to fill a void in the team (a void due to no backline-go figure) we have nothing.
Even Newman chokes on kick ins and has the negate his turnovers by kicking a goal.

I also worry about our midget brigade.
Are we trying to start an oompah doompah appreciation society?

Nahas
Nason.
Hicks
Webberly
White

All good but get bitch slapped aside.
Nason cops a beating every week and if he persists and remains injury free could be great
Foley is just a liability.why keep another cogs on the list and probably only get 6 games a year out of him because his body is stuffed.
When will this club ever learn...
Polo

not to mention our stick figure boys

Thursfield
McGuane
Edwards -although I'm pleased with his season and think he has a great natural talent but another one too tiny.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1232 on: August 15, 2010, 02:05:43 AM »
There's plenty who should go before Cuz from that list Ox. If Craig Cameron believes Hislop should get another year while Cuz gets the chop then he has no idea.

If it's purely football based then he has to play on
At this stage he's still easily in our Top 10 players and arguably our Top 5
Spot on Infamy.

According to Jon Ralph, Gary March said the timing of the doco is Ch 7's decision and will have no bearing on Cuz's future. The media are all betting Cuz is gone but based on all the public statements from the Club then he's every chance of going on next year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1233 on: August 15, 2010, 05:20:48 AM »
Truth is stranger than fiction
Caroline Wilson
August 15, 2010

SOMETIMES AFL football provides storylines even the most imaginative scriptwriter would shy away from. And in boardrooms and at match committees, decisions are made that render hindsight at times quite brutal.

Can it really be almost two whole seasons since the St Kilda board met one evening in late spring and voted against recruiting Ben Cousins?

No one really blamed the Saints at the time for deciding that Cousins' baggage wasn't worth carrying even though it seemed for a brief few weeks to be a career-ending choice dictated to a degree by sponsors and corporate concerns.

History relates that Richmond took a chance - Cousins' last in AFL terms - on the 2005 Brownlow medallist in a decision that has provided its peaks and troughs but ultimately provided some redemption for both parties.

St Kilda went on to play a season of football punctuated by sheer brilliance and consistency only to be denied a premiership by what in reality boiled down to one kick. We will never know whether Cousins and his quite extraordinary will to win combined with the Saints' devastating midfield would have made the difference.

Either way, Ross Lyon and his team knew they needed to inject that midfield with speed and one year after denying Cousins, the club turned to another troubled player in Andrew Lovett along with disgruntled Docker Brett Peake. The popular former captain and a face of the Saints in Luke Ball could see he was being moved to the outer and got himself to Collingwood.

The threads of all of the above came together over the past week - a week in which the game has been forced to suck up some very unattractive headlines. It began on the MCG eight nights ago where Ball once again demonstrated the key piece he has provided in a jigsaw that has elevated Collingwood to firm premiership favourite.

On the same night on the other side of the country, West Coast - Cousins' football home from the age of 17 - was relegated for the first time to the dreaded wooden spoon.

It cannot be denied that this wealthy and once formidable outfit has not recovered from the drug and other social problems that saw Cousins sacked. So many decisions taken since then relate back to that dark time and the ensuing AFL and political scrutiny. By playing it safe, the club has shed more than it intended.

The release of parts of a documentary that show the devastation Cousins' drug addiction wreaked on his family and the gravity of an illness that nearly killed him, and for which the AFL and West Coast cannot escape some blame, has put the league at odds with host broadcaster Channel Seven.

And several versions of the dreadful detail of a night which ended Lovett's brief and unhappy tenure at St Kilda and saw him committed to stand trial for rape were also made public. Every senior industry figure who has watched the incomplete but engrossing Such is Life has recommended it to parents and teenagers alike but there are many lessons too in the details of the Saints' night out that went horribly wrong.

This is a cautionary tale involving alcohol, celebrity, sex and race which resulted in two rape charges. St Kilda believes it can withstand the public glare as it continues to push for a second successive tilt at a premiership and that on the evidence made public this week is satisfied its players who were there on Christmas Eve behaved responsibly despite the admitted excessive alcohol intake of some.

The Saints rate their on-field leadership group as high as any in the competition and believe it would have handled the challenge of Cousins.

Instead, one year later, they took Lovett probably without sufficient due diligence and were challenged beyond their worst fears. Like Cousins, Lovett is ultimately responsible for his football downfall, but you have to wonder whether his former club Essendon and the players' association did enough to address his demons.

The AFL cannot have enjoyed seeing the lifestyles of some of its players so exposed this week, but I disagreed with Andrew Demetriou when he slammed Seven for advertising Cousins' documentary midweek during Packed To The Rafters while urging families to watch it.

Certainly Channel Seven's decision to flog Such Is Life was all about maximising promotion and sensationalising some more excruciating moments from the two-part documentary. But Rafters was the perfect environment in which to do that.

This is not your classic light family show. There has been plenty of darkness over the journey and the program's first serious storyline involved a graphic and often disturbing scenario of drug addiction, filmed sex, and associated violence and alcohol abuse.

I also disagreed with one commentator's assessment that Cousins has had to endure some nasty criticism over the past two years. The football public and the media - apart from some disproportionate tabloid scrutiny - has been generally, and overwhelmingly at times, supportive of his remarkable journey back to the AFL.

Cousins and Richmond have erred at times along the journey, but both are better for the experience. Having applauded Richmond for backing itself and its structures to take a fallen hero, I would say those structures at Tigerland are much stronger now having benefited not only from the experience but from the new personnel in the organisation.

I have also questioned in this column whether Cousins was worth the risk and still believe there have been plenty of times in which he demonstrated he was not. Drug addiction by its very nature is a life-long condition, but cannot excuse every misdemeanour where a club is concerned, and after what Richmond has been through over three decades the club must come first.

Still, the Tigers have indicated they are prepared to weather whatever comes their way via Cousins should the match committee deem him deserving of another season. And whatever the decision, that in itself says plenty for Richmond. Not to mention the player it handed - albeit nervously - one final chance.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/truth-is-stranger-than-fiction-20100814-12467.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1234 on: August 15, 2010, 05:22:53 AM »
Cousins' D-Day is at hand
Martin Boulton
August 15, 2010

Hardwick confirmed Cousins would meet with him and other club officials tomorrow to reach a decision on whether the Brownlow medallist played on next year.

''We'll have a meeting with Ben … then make an informed decision later in the week,'' Hardwick said.

''There's a number of factors that come into it. We'll sit down with our recruiting staff, our list management, decide how many draft picks we need to have, decide what our talent base is and make an informed decision from there.

''There'll be a number of people making a decision … it will be an informed one and later in the week we'll make [it].''

There is speculation the Tigers will not offer the former Eagle another one-year contract, ending his tumultuous playing career.

Speaking earlier on 3AW, Hardwick said: ''He is infectious at the club. You love to be around him. He is one of those guys you flock to, to hear him speak. He is very, very good on the advice he gives young players.

''Whether coaching is for him, I am not sure. I'd probably say not. I think he is the guy that loves the training aspect. If he is ever going to get involved, I think it will be more from a training point of view, like a fitness guy.''

Cousins' father Brian was in Melbourne and watched his son play yesterday, but Hardwick said there was no connection between that visit and tomorrow's meeting.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cousins-dday-is-at-hand-20100814-1245o.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1235 on: August 15, 2010, 05:34:23 AM »
Ben Cousins terrific to have at a footy club
Kevin Sheedy
Sunday Herald Sun
August 15, 2010

BEN Cousins will be one of the first guest speakers I'll have at my club. He would be a terrific person to have around a group of kids learning the game.

I would like to catch up with Ben before the season ends. I want to talk to him about his thoughts on where the game is going.

He could pass on a lot to me given I haven't coached for three years.

I'd also like to glean how he is going in life and what he has planned for the future.

No matter what comes up in his TV documentary, the most important thing is Ben is still alive.

Growing up in my life I've seen so many superstars drop off the planet.

Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe and Michael Jackson to name a few.

AFL players are just as human as anyone else.

What we are set to see will probably be a good lesson.

Everyone was shocked when they watched the Grim Reaper advertisement.

It showed people that there are problems in the world. It highlighted HIV, while Ben's documentary is about drugs.

You might not like it but you'll certainly remember it.

I was filmed for the documentary about six months ago.

I did two sessions and was asked why I wanted to help Ben and whether it was a risk for my reputation.

The least of my worries was reputation. I was just wanting someone to get his life together and I've done it in all walks of life with charity, business and sport. That's what being a real person is about.

I wouldn't know a drug if it was in my hand. I know they are out there, but if you can't enjoy the simplicity of life and you've got to whack a substance in your body then you do need help.

Some players believe they need it to retain fitness or keep skin folds down.

Even when they know what's in it they still take it, which I find amazing.

It's not right and it's not the healthiest thing.

So maybe instead of worrying about 150 rotations a game, we should worry more about this issue.

I'm sure Ben has regrets, but moving to Melbourne wouldn't be one of them.

I'd love to see the Tigers keep Ben on their list - and we'll know soon enough.

By all accounts he's enjoying his time there and the players like him and have benefited from his knowledge.

James Hird won the best-and-fairest at Essendon at 34.

People in Perth are always thankful for Richmond giving him another chance.

But if the Tigers don't retain him there's a whole life ahead of him.

He could be a great actor. He could be brilliant in other areas. He might settle down and have 10 kids.

Whatever the case I think Ben would be a terrific person to have around a football club.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ben-cousins-terrific-to-have-at-a-footy-club/story-e6frf9jf-1225905371911

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1236 on: August 15, 2010, 05:35:53 AM »
Tigers ready to make call on Ben Cousins
Tony Sheahan
Sunday Herald Sun
August 15, 2010

BEN Cousins will know his future as early as tomorrow with the club confirming it will meet the 32-year-old to decide his future.
"We'll have a meeting with Ben on Monday," Hardwick said after yesterday's 89-point loss to Carlton.

"We'll meet with Ben on Monday and make an informed decision later in the week, whenever that may be.

"There are a number of factors that come into it.

"We'll sit down with our recruiting staff (and) our list managers, and we'll work out how many draft picks we need to have, decide what our talent base is and make an informed decision from there.

"So there will be a number of people making a decision on that.

"It'll be an informed one and later on in the week we'll make a decision."

A Richmond official, who declined to speak on the record, said it was as much Cousins's decision to play on as it was the club's.

"He may not want to go on," the source said.

Adding to the intrigue surrounding Cousins's future is that his father, Bryan, and brother Matt are in town.

Bryan Cousins looks after his son's playing affairs.

Hardwick laughed off the speculation and said Cousins Sr he was in town to check on his horse Go West You Terror, which ran last at Melton on Friday night.

"His dad's got a trotter," Hardwick said.

"Ran last, did it?" The coach said.

"Bit like the Tigers today, unfortunately."

Before the game, Hardwick told 3AW he was unsure if Cousins would be offered an off-field role with the club should he decide to hang up his boots.

"Look, he is fantastic, no doubt. He is infectious at the club. You love to be around him," Hardwick said.

"He is one of those guys you flock to him to hear him speak.

"He is very, very good at his advice he gives to a young player.

"Whether coaching is for him, I would say not.

"I think he is a guy that loves the training aspect. I think if he is ever going to get involved it will be more from a training point of view, like a fitness role.

"He does train hard, but he is not the most attentive in my meetings, that's for sure.

"And the word structure to him (means), 'You're getting in the way of how I play'."

Cousins went down in the second quarter of yesterday's match with what some initially feared to be a fractured leg.

He hobbled from the ground and had to be assisted into the rooms by Richmond doctor Greg Hickey.

But, almost miraculously - as Cousins has a habit of doing - he reappeared five minutes later, bouncing along the boundary line.

He returned to the field and continued for the rest of the match, even managing a goal.

"It is nothing major, so nothing to really worry about," Hardwick said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-ready-to-make-call-on-ben-cousins/story-e6frf9jf-1225905334404

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1237 on: August 15, 2010, 04:35:28 PM »
If it's purely football based then he has to play on
At this stage he's still easily in our Top 10 players and arguably our Top 5

Yeh that's the thing isn't it?

If it's a purely footy decision then there really isn't a decision to be made because simply he stays

If they chose to chop him then to me they aren't making a purely footy decision

I thought Jim Hird's article the other day was spot on

One of the things we were discussing yesterday and one of the questions was "would Ben be prepared to play at Coburg if the Club said that's what he has to do?" because it is likley that it could be required. My answer was that there isn't a doubt in my mind he would and even that's got to be good for the Cubs.

When it's all said and done I can see at least half a dozen (and I being conservative) that should go before Ben Cousins

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:21:24 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1238 on: August 15, 2010, 04:45:46 PM »
I've wondered if he would play for coburg if he was delisted?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1239 on: August 15, 2010, 04:53:56 PM »
I've wondered if he would play for coburg if he was delisted?

Nah I reckon he would go home
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1240 on: August 15, 2010, 08:38:22 PM »
I reckon he will play on or will stay as a development coach -  if he wants to.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #1241 on: August 15, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »
mail around is that he might retire tomorrow?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1242 on: August 16, 2010, 02:08:02 AM »
Player union to support Cousins
Jon Pierik
August 16, 2010

THE AFL Players' Association has promised to help Ben Cousins adjust to life outside of the sport should Richmond not re-sign him.

Cousins, 32, today will meet with Tiger officials, expected to be coach Damien Hardwick and general manager of football Craig Cameron, to discuss whether he will be given a new one-year contract.

Cousins, who began talks last week, is keen to play on but the likes of Tigers great Matthew Richardson, former teammate Nathan Brown and former Geelong captain Tom Harley believe he won't be given that opportunity.

It's understood today's meeting will form part of the closing stages of his documentary, Such is Life, to be aired on Channel Seven next week.

A recovering drug addict, Cousins is tested three times a week by the AFL. He admitted earlier this year that this testing had been somewhat of a protective blanket in what he said was a daily fight to remain clean.

''That will take a little bit of adjusting to [once he finished playing],'' Cousins said.

The AFLPA last night said it would help the former West Coast champion in any way possible should this safety net end.

''The AFL Players' Association provides a range of services to current and retired players, including health support, financial counselling, workplace rights advice and career support,'' a spokesman said.

''When, and if, Ben does retire he will be offered the same wide range of support options as any other player leaving the game.''

Cousins has said he subscribes to the view that once an addict, always an addict.

''It would be nice to wipe my hands of it but all the life experiences I am getting post rehab and what I have gone through are holding me in good stead for life after football,'' he said.

''Sure, I think the transition for life after footy is tough for all players. It's been 15 years, it's been a huge part of my life but I am looking to tackle whatever it is with the same sort of devotion or application that I have put to my football career.''

Cousins was among the Tigers' best in a heavy loss to Carlton on Saturday but other factors will play a key role in the final decision.

Hardwick, who has regularly flagged that the impending cut in interchange rotations would impact on Cousins, said emotion won't play a part in the final call.

''It will be a really informed decision, it won't be an emotional one,'' he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/player-union-to-support-cousins-20100815-12568.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1243 on: August 16, 2010, 02:15:57 AM »
D-Day as Ben Cousins meet with Tigers
Mark Stevens
Herald Sun
August 16, 2010

FORMER teammate Nathan Brown has predicted Ben Cousins is entering the final fortnight of his career as D-Day for the controversial veteran approaches.

Cousins' future will become clearer today after a meeting with Tigers coach Damien Hardwick and it is understood the final two minutes of his upcoming documentary have been left free to record what could be an emotional week.

Brown, who still has strong ties at Tigerland, believes the popular clubman will not play on.

"The fact of the matter is, he won't go on again," Brown told radio Triple M yesterday.

Brown praised Cousins' poise and class, and his ability to provide intelligent input as a team leader, but said the feeling was the Tigers would push ahead with youth.

Hardwick on Saturday said an "informed decision" would be made on Cousins late this week, but confirmed he would be meeting the controversial veteran today.

The Tigers have constantly stressed it would be a "list management" call based on Cousins' football alone and the messages coming out of Punt Rd suggest a tough call will be made.

As speculation about Cousins' future reaches fever pitch, Channel Seven is pushing to extend its documentary deal with Cousins.

The confronting Cousins story Such Is Life will run in two one-hour parts next week, but Seven is also keen to lock Cousins in for a tell-all interview.

It is understood that no mention of an exclusive interview was made when Seven agreed to pay a significant six-figure sum for the documentary.

Now, Seven may be prepared to pay extra to get Cousins, his father Bryan and perhaps a drugs specialist to feature in a round-table interview.

If talks are successful, Seven would show an hour of Such Is Life from 8.30pm on Wednesday, August 25, but treat viewers to a two-hour blockbuster the next night.

The second part of the documentary would screen from 8.30pm, followed by another hour of Cousins reflecting on the documentary and his career.

Under that scenario, the second hour would run into first hour of The Footy Show on rival Channel Nine.

Sources have confirmed the Michael Gudinski-produced documentary is still being massaged, with the final two minutes likely to be filled by the events of this week.

The documentary is an in-your-face look at Cousins' battle with drugs.

Cousins was among Richmond's best against Carlton on Saturday, winning 26 disposals as the Tigers were thumped by 89 points.

The Brownlow medallist suffered a corked calf against the Blues, but managed to play out the game.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/d-day-as-ben-cousins-meet-with-tigers/story-e6frf9jf-1225905600814

jackstar is back again

« Reply #1244 on: August 16, 2010, 05:55:43 PM »
mail around is that he might retire tomorrow?

And he wanted to retire at the start of the year, thus his lack lustre pre season