Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 289215 times)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1365 on: August 19, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
I thought the idea was to stop idiots karate kicking people in the head and front on dangerously like Toby "jackoff" Green, which is legit, but common sense on legit Marking contests
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1366 on: August 19, 2019, 08:22:18 PM »
Rule changes after we cop the bad decisions......go figure.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1367 on: August 19, 2019, 08:37:54 PM »
Disgusted. What a joke of a governing body.

Need to admit they F'd up!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1368 on: August 19, 2019, 10:35:56 PM »
Greene was receiving a handpass and raised his foot at Dahlhaus' head as an act to avoid being tackled. It was a free kick under the old rules as a high fend off. We didn't need another AFL overreaction to one incident and another new rule that gets misinterpreted.

In both of Jack's cases, they were leaps to mark a ball that had been kicked towards him (it wouldn't be a marking attempt otherwise). Happens dozens of times in every AFL match. The ump got it wrong ... twice! It was a dud rule anyway but just spineless and dishonest for the AFL to claim they were the right calls under that rule. Otherwise, where's the video examples they present to the umpires and clubs preseason showing such a call in a marking contest as being the correct decision?!
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1369 on: August 19, 2019, 11:34:48 PM »
Greene was receiving a handpass and raised his foot at Dahlhaus' head as an act to avoid being tackled. It was a free kick under the old rules as a high fend off. We didn't need another AFL overreaction to one incident and another new rule that gets misinterpreted.

In both of Jack's cases, they were leaps to mark a ball that had been kicked towards him (it wouldn't be a marking attempt otherwise). Happens dozens of times in every AFL match. The ump got it wrong ... twice! It was a dud rule anyway but just spineless and dishonest for the AFL to claim they were the right calls under that rule. Otherwise, where's the video examples they present to the umpires and clubs preseason showing such a call in a marking contest as being the correct decision?!
There was an example shown tonight on the news where Toby Green basically kicked an opponent then took the mark. I can’t remember who it was against though. Sydney maybe??

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1370 on: August 19, 2019, 11:51:01 PM »
Yes it was against Sydney, player he kicked was Newman.. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hocking explains why AFL relaxed studs-up interpretation (SEN)
« Reply #1371 on: August 20, 2019, 05:55:45 PM »
"It's gone too far": Hocking explains why AFL relaxed studs-up interpretation

By SEN
20 Aug 2019

AFL football operations boss Steve Hocking has explained why the league decided to relax the interpretation of the studs-up rule.

The rule came under fire on Sunday when Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt was penalised twice for using his studs in a marking contest against West Coast.

Hocking was at the game and admits Riewoldt should’ve been paid both marks.

“After sitting there watching the game on Sunday and being an administrator but also a footy fan, it just didn’t feel right,” Hocking told SEN’s Whateley.

“Looking at Jack and also Jacob Mollison, the umpire, it really felt like as an administrator, I put the umpire in a bit of a situation there.

“It’s gone too far. We want to see those marks paid. That’s why the decision was made.”

Hocking says the rule initially came in to protect players, but Sunday’s calls made him want to take action on the grey area surrounding the interpretation.

“What we did at the start of the year was introduce that (rule) to really take care of the players and get a shift in behaviour,” he said.

“We feel like we’ve reached that point with it.

“Having a look at that game on Sunday, it was quite clear that what Jack’s doing, there was no intent to harm the player.

“The intent was to take the mark. I think those fans, particularly me being a fan sitting there watching that, you can’t walk past that.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/08/20/its-gone-too-far-hocking-explains-why-afl-relaxed-studs-up-interpretation/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL should be applauded for immediate studs up rule change: Jack Riewoldt (Fox)
« Reply #1372 on: August 21, 2019, 01:48:05 AM »
AFL ‘should be applauded’ for immediate studs up rule change

August 20, 2019 9:26pm
FOX SPORTS

Richmond star Jack Riewoldt believes the AFL should be applauded for immediately making a change to the divisive ‘studs up’ free kick rule.

After two free kicks paid against Riewoldt in Sunday’s win over West Coast drew scorn, including from Riewoldt himself, the AFL moved on Monday to change how the penalty was given.

The reigning Coleman medallist told AFL 360 he didn’t expect the league to make a move so quickly, with AFL footy operations boss Steve Hocking saying he didn’t want any issues with the rule during the finals.

“The AFL should be applauded for this. There’s probably a bit more room for it as well,” he said on Fox Footy.

“He’s new to the game in that area, Steve Hocking, and to jump on it straight away - you saw my reaction then. If that’d happened on Grand Final day, I don’t know how I or another player would’ve reacted.

“I was as surprised as I think a lot of people (by the change). I thought maybe, these sorts of things get drawn up at the end of the season.

“It just happened really. Someone texted congratulating me and I was like oh, what for? And then I had a quick flick through the socials.”

Riewoldt revealed he texted umpire Jacob Mollison, who made the calls and copped some choice language from the Tigers forward in response.

Umpires boss Hayden Kennedy in fact had to call Riewoldt because Mollison wasn’t sure if he was being pranked when he received the apology.

“I’m going for the ball. Pure as it is, just trying to get the ball,” Riewoldt explained.

“I think the two examples with me on the weekend, and when I looked at the Jeremy Howe one at mid-season. The essence of AFL football - people come from other countries to watch our game, or they’re from other countries and they watch our game, and they love the high-flying capacity of it.

“There’s no malice in me kicking Tom Barrass in the back of the hammy - not even kicking, really pushing off. It was brought in for the incidents with Toby Greene who kung fu’d a couple of people. They’re completely different examples.

“And the wording (using studs in a manner likely to cause injury) ... thousand to one that I’m going to cause injury.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-richmonds-jack-riewoldt-applauds-league-for-quickly-changing-studs-up-free-kick-rule/news-story/50e0b2f0b439324d757c457d28d6ea2d

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1373 on: August 23, 2019, 03:33:49 PM »
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has applauded the AFL for its change to the interpretation of the studs up rule.

Tigers' forward Jack Riewoldt was twice penalised by umpires in last Sunday's clash against West Coast for illegally using his boot studs in marking contests against Eagle Tom Barrass.

Hardwick slammed the decisions post-match and the controversial rulings came under fire from the wider AFL community.

There was a swift reaction from league headquarters on Monday, with the interpretation to be changed from this weekend.

League football operations boss Steve Hocking said the rule had not been brought in to penalise marking actions such as Riewoldt’s, but the penalties against the Tiger were adjudicated correctly under the previous interpretation.

Hardwick said he was pleased common sense had prevailed.

"What else can I get changed this week?" Hardwick joked to reporters on Friday.

"I think (it's) common sense. I think we're all in the same boat with regard to why the rule was bought in.

"But I don't think we quite got the interpretation right. But it was pleasing to see that it did get overturned.

"Decisions are made sometimes and credit where credit is due, I'm really happy the AFL took it on board and decided to implement the change, smart move."

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-rolling-footy-news-from-friday-august-23/live-coverage/ece3fd0c4c70b8bb0c927f495a16e955

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1374 on: August 25, 2019, 08:07:23 PM »
IF YOU DON'T MIND UMPIRE

Richmond's fans gave the umpires a hostile send-off at half time after a series of controversial Lions free kicks. Lynch was pinged for fending off Andrews in the chest before taking a mark and moments later Prestia was nabbed for deliberate out of bounds after hooking a kick 40 metres up field at half forward. But the penalty that most raised Tiger ire was when Lynch, leading back towards goal, pushed off Andrews and was penalised. Lynch then drew a 50-metre penalty for abuse.

Source: The Age

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #1375 on: August 25, 2019, 08:11:00 PM »
Don’t forget Zorko blocking Lynch in the goalsquare in the first.

A tremendous advantage to them in a few weeks if theyre allowed to blocks Lynchs movements (and indeed draw free kicks) like they did today.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1376 on: August 25, 2019, 10:00:28 PM »
Beyond abysmal...
I am now convinced after the last 2 week's that the AFL influence games to conceive a result that benefits their agenda.

Towards the end of that first quarter we looked like we were going to blow the lid off the joint and the umps did everything they could to assist Brisbane.

Don't bother looking at the free kick count it says nothing.
The reason why the lions were up and about in the third is because even they knew they could do no wrong

I've never been so disgusted with the umpiring and the AFL's agenda
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 06:11:36 AM by Eat_em_Alive »
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1377 on: August 25, 2019, 10:04:08 PM »
Brisbane were applying blocks in marking contests for first half without even bothering to disguise em, not just that one on Lynch

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1378 on: September 21, 2019, 06:28:08 AM »
'Razor Ray' isn't afraid to make a big call on the big stage

Just before half-time Geelong led by 15 points and could easily have been five goals up. A Jason Castagna set-shot conversion had broken a run of five successive goals by the Cats when umpire Ray Chamberlain made a courageous decision. After a marking contest 50 metres from Geelong's goal, Chamberlain blew his whistle to award a free kick to Geelong superstar Patrick Dangerfield. However, Tiger defender Bachar Houli believed he was the beneficiary and beckoned his skipper Trent Cotchin to give him the ball, and Cotchin obliged. Chamberlain's whistle sounded again and he delivered a 50-metre penalty and the easiest of goals for Dangerfield to the boos of Tigers fans. Late in the third term Chamberlain again incurred the wrath of the yellow-and-black army when he failed to award an apparently obvious 50-metre penalty when Tiger Tom Lynch was lining up from the arc.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-20/five-things-we-learned-lynch-thrives-on-big-stage

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1379 on: September 21, 2019, 07:49:59 AM »
Razor "can't help myself" Ray