Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 290036 times)

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #2400 on: November 14, 2022, 04:09:05 PM »
This doesnt surprise me whatsoever, would explain a lot and I reckon it is wide spread amongst the maggots and intot he games as well

https://www.9news.com.au/national/afl-news-police-arrest-four-over-illegal-brownlow-medal-betting/ed23a051-b596-4e76-bbfe-d188dd1d1b8d

AFL umpire among those arrested over alleged suspicious betting on Brownlow Medal

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2401 on: November 14, 2022, 04:30:50 PM »
Umpires and the AFL are quite clearly corrupt, you only have to see the free kick differential ladder every year to figure that out

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2402 on: November 14, 2022, 04:44:54 PM »
AFL Statement

The AFL confirms it has been informed that the Victoria Police Sporting Integrity Intelligence Unit have arrested four people in relation to an investigation into suspicious betting activity linked to round-by-round betting on this year’s Brownlow Medal count.

The suspicious betting activity, on bets placed on round-by-round vote getters, triggered a response and notification by one of the AFL’s betting agency partners.

Upon receiving this information, the AFL Integrity unit worked with the AFL’s betting partners to gather further information and in conjunction with Sports Integrity Australia and Victoria Police undertook an investigation.

The AFL and Victoria Police have no information to suggest that the awarding of match day votes was impacted in connection with the suspicious betting activity, as the allegations relate solely to the distribution leaking or improper communication of the 3,2,1 voting outcomes post some specific matches during the season to unauthorised persons.

"In the days following the 2022 Brownlow Medal count, the AFL was made aware of potential suspicious activity by one of our betting agency partners and the AFL Integrity unit immediately gathered further information," AFL EGM Football and General Counsel Andrew Dillon said.

"Given the nature of the alleged activity we engaged Sports Integrity Australia and Victoria Police to assist with the matter.

"I want to stress that neither Victoria Police, nor the AFL have information to suggest that the outcome of the Brownlow Medal was impacted as the allegations relate solely to the leaking or improper communication of the 3,2,1 voting outcomes of some specific matches during the season.

"Post-game, the Brownlow votes are sealed and stored in a secure off-site location and not opened until they are delivered on stage on Brownlow night. The sealed vote cards are audited throughout the season by KPMG."

Brownlow Medal round-by-round betting markets only open post the home and away season.

Victoria Police has informed the AFL that one of the four persons arrested this morning is an AFL umpire.

The AFL will continue to assist Victoria Police with the on-going investigation.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/865950/afl-statement-brownlow-medal

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2403 on: November 14, 2022, 04:48:03 PM »
This doesnt surprise me whatsoever, would explain a lot and I reckon it is wide spread amongst the maggots and intot he games as well

https://www.9news.com.au/national/afl-news-police-arrest-four-over-illegal-brownlow-medal-betting/ed23a051-b596-4e76-bbfe-d188dd1d1b8d

AFL umpire among those arrested over alleged suspicious betting on Brownlow Medal
Umpires and the AFL are quite clearly corrupt, you only have to see the free kick differential ladder every year to figure that out

First question is - has this umpire officiated any Richmond matches and if so which ones?

Second question is - has this umpire been involved in any ARC decisions and if so in which games?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2404 on: November 14, 2022, 07:35:09 PM »

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2405 on: November 14, 2022, 07:39:06 PM »
On the odd occasion I get the inkling that certain umpires are not just looking for the 'free kick of the week', or the 'SHocking told me to' ruling, sometimes they are going with another specific agenda that seems to affect their decision making ... 
Like Prestia getting KO'd against ... umm ... that team I keep forgetting ... while the game is allowed to continue for several minutes until a goal is kicked & THEN the game is stopped, is one of those inklings. 

2 great questions MT, I'd like to see them answered too. 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2406 on: November 14, 2022, 07:41:34 PM »
Michael Pell named as the umpire in question on the HeraldSun website.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/probe-into-brownlow-count-amid-betting-scandal/news-story/e7491e676ca07973770c6b40229ae681
Hmm ... Pell ... nope, nothing pops to mind regarding any Pells' ...      :P
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2407 on: November 14, 2022, 07:54:38 PM »
Pell umpired 3 of our games out of curiosity.

Result                 Free kick count
R21, 2021 vs North      Won by 33                18 - 15 ....... this was Pell's AFL umpire debut.

R4, 2022 vs Bulldogs    Won by 38                15 - 25

R18, 2022 vs North      Lost by 4                   21 - 18 ..... Nank copped 6 frees against in the ruck and none for.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/umpires/Michael_Pell.html
https://afltables.com/afl/teams/richmond/allgames.html

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2408 on: November 14, 2022, 08:14:49 PM »
There’s been no allegations as to him umpiring games corruptly so far has there? I mean it’s obviously possible but all I’ve read unless it’s be missed something is that he’s leaked who he’s given 3, 2, 1 votes to in the games he’s umpired.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2409 on: November 14, 2022, 10:43:12 PM »
Well hopefully it's a major wake up for the AFL commission and executive. They have created an environment devoid of any critiqued accountability for umpiring performance. While this situation is not actully based on "performance", the risk is to great to operate with an environment free from criticism. Any sport that has betting must operate high and consistent standards.

2022 certainly was not high standards....  Actually it was a absolute 💯  disgrace, disaster and a disappointment for all fans. A year when an Umpire has been caught in a gambling scandal.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2410 on: November 15, 2022, 01:16:19 AM »
Games Michael Pell umpired -  Who I expected to get the 3 votes as well as their probability against who actually got the 3 votes and what I expected their probability to be.

I don't know if you can draw any conclusions here, I probably wouldn't but interesting nonetheless

https://twitter.com/SgtButane/status/1592089378876428288

Need to do the same/something for other umps if you want to do anything quantitative

https://twitter.com/MatterOfStats/status/1592090961769037828

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2411 on: November 15, 2022, 07:53:11 AM »
I wonder if the AFL should or would consider a steward system like horse racing codes?

Stewards that oversee players and umpiring..

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2412 on: November 15, 2022, 10:27:43 AM »
I wonder if the AFL should or would consider a steward system like horse racing codes?

Stewards that oversee players and umpiring..

Yeah like that works!  Any place you can make money for little work will mean crooks are involved.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2413 on: November 16, 2022, 01:28:57 AM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2414 on: November 23, 2022, 10:44:58 AM »
The AFL will soon announce four field umpires for matches in 2023.

There won’t be any emergency field umpires so if there’s an injury, they’ll revert back to three.

Nine field umpires have been promoted ahead of next season, AFL will have a senior list of 40-42.

https://twitter.com/cleary_mitch/status/1595180783643152384