Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 272504 times)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1275 on: April 20, 2019, 09:57:20 PM »
The state of umpiring for the want of a better word is.  poo. 

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1276 on: April 20, 2019, 09:58:22 PM »
Our ratio of tackles made to free kicks awarded must be the lowest in the competitions history. There are clearly two interpretations of HTB, one for us and one for every other team.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1277 on: April 20, 2019, 10:08:18 PM »
Our ratio of tackles made to free kicks awarded must be the lowest in the competitions history. There are clearly two interpretations of HTB, one for us and one for every other team.
I don’t understand it. If a player gets tackled and doesn’t correctly dispose of the ball it’s supposed to be a free kick. The umps just won’t pay them  :banghead
The club that keeps giving.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1278 on: April 20, 2019, 10:14:13 PM »
The difference between our game up against Brisbane V Gollywood couldn't be greater.  The filth got every single soft free kick under the sun & then  few more to make sure, but we couldn't buy a free kick if we had a fist full of gold nuggets!  It is hard to watch two games over a weekend & have them umpired so differently!  Get a clue AFL!    :thumbsdown
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1279 on: April 20, 2019, 10:15:14 PM »
Funny how the rules and interpretations change into just two days from Thursday night when Collingwood plays  ::).

Our mistakes stood out more in the second half but that first half of umpiring was a joke as far as holding the ball. It didn't exist! When we tackled Swan players they just dropped the ball all night and got away with it. Even when they had a heap of prior opportunity or it was chase down tackle, the umps still waved their arms and called play on  ::).

Edit: Beat me to it, JP  :clapping.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1280 on: April 20, 2019, 10:15:57 PM »
With the amount of throws the Swans did I thought I was watching league

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1281 on: April 22, 2019, 04:36:23 PM »
This was paid a free kick to Buddy against Grimes:

And here's Buddy pushing Astbury in the back of the head yet called play on:

Watch here: https://twitter.com/TasoKatsionis/status/1120107927539335168

Source: BF, TasoKatsionis.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1282 on: April 22, 2019, 05:31:56 PM »
With the amount of throws the Swans did I thought I was watching league
Was about to put my Storm’s guernsey on at the game!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1283 on: April 25, 2019, 08:15:04 AM »
Well we probably came level with frees and possibly in front but that umpiring was shocking. Some of the lowlights were;
* Tom Lynch being victim of the new non mark Tom Lynch rule
* Multiple throws and drops by them in a row then I think Balta gets pinged for doing exactly what they done about five times in a row
* A clear 50 not paid

Even though we’re winning I hope the RFC is being loud about this to the AFL as it will
cost us in close games

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1284 on: April 25, 2019, 08:31:48 AM »
No such thing as Incorrect disposal when being tackled by Richmond players.
In compensation to butt hurt opposition supporter general Richmond Jealousy, All opposition players with have an extra five seconds after Lynch marks to attempt to spoil and or tackle him without a mark/free being paid.  Play on will be called unless Lynch is caught with the ball at which time a free will be paid to the opposition for holding and 50m if he complains about not being paid the mark.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1285 on: April 25, 2019, 02:32:21 PM »
Every full forward cops a non-mark decisions like that every now & then...but only a Richmond one would cop it twice in the same match within a few minutes of game time... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1286 on: April 25, 2019, 07:20:39 PM »
It was a farce in today's game. Aside from the typical Collingwood charity, twice all the players stopped in the last quarter expecting a clear HTB to be paid and it wasn't. Bomber fans lost it post-game over the umpiring which carried on to booing Pendlebury.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1287 on: April 25, 2019, 07:31:25 PM »
It was a farce in today's game. Aside from the typical Collingwood charity, twice all the players stopped in the last quarter expecting a clear HTB to be paid and it wasn't. Bomber fans lost it post-game over the umpiring which carried on to booing Pendlebury.
Last nights and today’s game!

I’m starting to think there are some umpires that don’t actually know the incorrect disposal rule.

How can someone who is tackled and doesn’t correctly dispose of the footy by either hand or foot not be penalised for incorrect disposal? 

It’s a bloody joke.

And that free to Cox for “blocking” against Hooker was mind boggling. But I’ve got to say that I don’t think most umps actually understand the rule. You’ve got to dispose of the footy in a legal way.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1288 on: April 25, 2019, 07:40:21 PM »
Yep, I dislike both Collingwood and Essendon equally but watching the game Collingwood was on the best end of the umpiring.....Again.
The numbers don’t really say that but it was pretty clear for me as a neutral observer.
Again, like in our game last week, it wasn’t the free kicks that were paid but the free kicks that weren’t paid.

I’m not a boo-er but I can understand why the Essendon crowd pooed at the end.

We as supporters all pay good money to go and watch our teams play, all we want is a fair game, win lose or draw, and the umpiring in the last couple of years has be “pro” Collingwood from all the games I have seen them play.

It’s time teams spoke up IMO.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1289 on: April 25, 2019, 07:42:10 PM »
Last nights and today’s game!

I’m starting to think there are some umpires that don’t actually know the incorrect disposal rule.

How can someone who is tackled and doesn’t correctly dispose of the footy by either hand or foot not be penalised for incorrect disposal? 

It’s a bloody joke.

And that free to Cox for “blocking” against Hooker was mind boggling. But I’ve got to say that I don’t think most umps actually understand the rule. You’ve got to dispose of the footy in a legal way.
I thought over the offseason, Hocking and co. said they were cracking down on illegal disposal. The umps seemed hot on their HTB interpretation during the preseason. It's now gone back to "knocked out in the tackle" or "he got a toe to it" when the tackled player is run down and just drops it.

As for the two Lynch marks that weren't paid  ::). That is clueless umpiring :facepalm.