Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 272497 times)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1920 on: March 19, 2022, 03:15:49 AM »
Yes some of the 50s were soft but geez how long is this stupid undisciplined trend gonna be allowed to continue. I don’t know if there is a way to see 50m penalties conceded over the past few seasons but I’d safely bet that we are leading it by some distance. We were always giving away the most free kicks during 2017-2020 but atleast those were for in-game discretions. This arguing with umpire, wrestling with opponent, not giving the ball back garbage needs to be dealt with. Not sure why Dimma hasn’t made it a point to address it, it’s an absolute momentum killer and the players that constantly do it need to be dragged to the bench and given a spray.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1921 on: March 19, 2022, 01:24:06 PM »
I'd be dropping blokes for this undisciplined crap which players have been getting away with for years. 
Starting with Graham this week. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1922 on: March 22, 2022, 04:17:13 AM »
Last night on On the Couch they showed a replay of the Cameron Zurhaar play on call where he was about 15m forward of where he took the mark and across the boundary in row Z  :huh.

https://twitter.com/Donno79/status/1505702322508206083

So it now seems as long as it means an attacking play the umps no longer care about the rules anymore :huh3 :help.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 04:36:38 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1923 on: March 28, 2022, 06:07:32 PM »

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1924 on: March 28, 2022, 06:17:33 PM »
Goal!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1925 on: March 28, 2022, 07:16:57 PM »
Impossible to tell from the two camera angles they showed. The third angle in the left goal post was useless as it wasn't pointing down to where Haynes was. It looks like the ball was marked/touched before the whole ball crossed the goal line but there's no definitive way of knowing.

ps. Did love Dimma's little dig in the presser after the game.

"Adjudication has dropped away a little bit since we last played ... Dissent was glaring [last week] but now you can do this [waves arms]. Not too sure where we're at. Good that it's settled down a bit which is a good result."

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1926 on: March 28, 2022, 07:33:56 PM »
There was so much crap over the weekend that was a 50m last week against us and let go.

Maybe the AFL know it was way ott.

Last week felt like we were the chosen guinea pigs again despite not being the first cab off the rank.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1927 on: April 07, 2022, 10:01:55 PM »
Has anyone noticed the demons players clearly move off the mark prior to the umpire calling play on yet get away with it every time? 

We would get pinged for 50 every time

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1928 on: April 07, 2022, 11:45:30 PM »
Has anyone noticed the demons players clearly move off the mark prior to the umpire calling play on yet get away with it every time? 

We would get pinged for 50 every time
I notice the Dees don't stand where the mark is. They stand 5m behind it so they can still move. We did the same against the Giants but then seemed to go back to standing on the mark last week. Standing on the mark just leaves you down a defender. Might as well fall back so you're at least still in the game.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1929 on: April 07, 2022, 11:46:07 PM »
I am seriously worried about the way the game is going right now.  The rules are just so full of loopholes & waivers that the umpires can pay anything they feel like paying & it will still be a correct decision.  Conversely, every decision can be seen as an equally wrong decision & the rules will still back you up.    :-\ 

Currently the rules are a double-think nightmare worthy of George Orwell ...   :help

I don't blame the umpires entirely, but I do blame the AFL for screwing it up so badly .... 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1930 on: April 08, 2022, 12:14:39 AM »
I am seriously worried about the way the game is going right now.  The rules are just so full of loopholes & waivers that the umpires can pay anything they feel like paying & it will still be a correct decision.  Conversely, every decision can be seen as an equally wrong decision & the rules will still back you up.    :-\ 

Currently the rules are a double-think nightmare worthy of George Orwell ...   :help

I don't blame the umpires entirely, but I do blame the AFL for screwing it up so badly ....
SHocking and Gill have a lot to answer for bringing in idiotic rules by decree that make the game now so bland, limited, repetitive and predictable. It is now mostly bruise free circle work where the only three ways to score are via centre clearances, bad skill error turnovers and roulette wheel frees/50m. Read today where someone described the game now as basketball on grass and it's hard to disagree. Once one team gains possession in their D50 everyone runs down to the other end just like basketball. Teams are flooding back due to the Stand rule and so scoring in most games is kept low. Last night's game was the perfect example of that. Take out Melbourne's 5 goal burst during the 2nd qtr and the rest of the game generated just 9 goals combined  :sleep.   

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1931 on: April 08, 2022, 12:35:30 AM »
#rebelcompnow :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #1932 on: April 08, 2022, 09:56:48 AM »
Stand the mark is giving me the shxts.

If the player fakes a hand ball it should be play on

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1933 on: April 08, 2022, 10:48:33 AM »
The stand rule is the worst rule ever to be introduced to football and it's got to go. Period. 
Last night the Demon player on the mark after being told to stand would just move as soon as the player with the ball moved off the mark without the umpire calling play on.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1934 on: April 08, 2022, 12:26:37 PM »

Last night the Demon player on the mark after being told to stand would just move as soon as the player with the ball moved off the mark without the umpire calling play on.

then it should be 50. Under the stand rule if a player on the mark moves without plat on being called it is a 50 metre penalty

It is a stupid rule that is ruining the game

Just wish the umpires were consistent in applying it  >:(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)