Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 272508 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #2280 on: July 17, 2022, 04:41:44 PM »
Agree with this
Go Tigers!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2281 on: July 17, 2022, 06:14:19 PM »
Watching the replay I think we were given a lot of grace by the umps and the handful of north supporters there had good reason to be angry with their interpretation.

From the top of my head we were caught with the ball atleast 5 times and play on was called finally a team got to feel our frustration.  :rollin

I thought Aarts was done htb in the dying seconds myself

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2282 on: July 23, 2022, 05:19:42 AM »
Not blaming the umps. Just stating what was mentioned on Fox Footy post-game.

Garry Lyon and Jonathan Brown reckoned we should have received a HTB free against Brendan Cox 20m out from our goal in the last minute. Cox had the ball with both his arms up in the air free and then made no attempt to dispose of it when he was tackled by Cumberland. Just brought it back down to his chest hoping for a ball-up (which is what the ump decided it was).

It was the same contest where Jack turned to the ump to say he was pushed in the back and the ump replied that it was his own teammate who did it (Cumberland).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 02:01:12 PM by one-eyed »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2283 on: July 23, 2022, 09:23:58 AM »
Outside of that one you've mentioned MT and the HTB against Cumberland where he actually got it out to Graham I thought the umpiring was pretty good last night. Yes they missed a few but overall they were consistent

Certainly better than we've witnessed the last 6 or weeks
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2284 on: July 23, 2022, 01:45:15 PM »
Agree on this, I hardly noticed the umpires last night which is a first for a very very long time.

Thought that the holding the ball vs Jack near the end was stiff but other than that didn't notice them.
Go Tigers!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2285 on: July 23, 2022, 09:56:52 PM »
Was ok up until the last part of the last quarter when they started finding a free kick for Freo everywhere
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2286 on: July 24, 2022, 02:27:04 AM »
Outside of that one you've mentioned MT and the HTB against Cumberland where he actually got it out to Graham I thought the umpiring was pretty good last night. Yes they missed a few but overall they were consistent

Certainly better than we've witnessed the last 6 or weeks

Unless I’m thinking of a different contest, that was clearly incorrect disposal by Cumberland and was a correct call. My issue was one of the free kicks against Soldo(?) for a fair bump..

Broadsword

« Reply #2287 on: July 29, 2022, 08:44:28 PM »
Umpires killing Melbourne at the moment.

Melbourne player gets down to pick the ball up near his defensive goal square and a passive Fremantle player falls over the top of him to win a free kick for the Melbourne player apparently taking out the legs. Goal to Freo.

Next center bounce, Freo player takes on the tackle and gets caught HTB, not paid, ball up, goes forward, goal to Freo.

For anyone not watching, you might have guessed--Melbourne were dominating, now the scores look a little more even at quarter time and we may be "in for a classic."

Just atrocious understanding of the game from the umpires. No feel. They need to get this garbage out of the game. No one wants to notice the umpires. Just let me drink beer and watch footy unperturbed by the incessant bureaucracy going on around me. They're even infringing on my escape leisure activities now.

If I could rouse my fellow beer-swilling, couch-inhabiting crew to do something about it I would, but I don't think we have it in us.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2288 on: July 29, 2022, 10:00:28 PM »
Salem down after a head knock and the game is immediately stopped by the umps. Prestia and us say where was this 5 weeks ago  ::).

The new high tackle rule like all the new rules is just a nightmare. Toss of a coin stuff.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Broadsword

« Reply #2289 on: July 29, 2022, 10:05:50 PM »
Salem down after a head knock and the game is immediately stopped by the umps. Prestia and us say where was this 5 weeks ago  ::).
Yep, noticed that too. So inconsistent it's not funny.

Broadsword

« Reply #2290 on: July 29, 2022, 10:11:01 PM »
Also, for all his plaudits, Max Gawn must have one of the worst set shot routines in the AFL. Just awful in every conceivable way.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2291 on: July 29, 2022, 10:17:53 PM »
Ruckmen are usually ungainly and uncoordinated with their set shot goalkicking. The ball has further to drop from hand to footy.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2292 on: July 31, 2022, 05:23:20 PM »
Most over umpired game  :banghead

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2293 on: July 31, 2022, 06:36:27 PM »
Debacle. Can't wait to watch the replay where the push in back was paid yet a score review was asked.
Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2294 on: July 31, 2022, 06:40:33 PM »
Debacle. Can't wait to watch the replay where the push in back was paid yet a score review was asked.
Yep, sums up how clueless the umpiring was today. No one had a clue what was going on. Absolutely ridiculous.