Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 272523 times)

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #2625 on: June 11, 2023, 10:27:04 AM »
I have come to accept this is the current state of the game. Gil (Hocking) and the rest of the people involved (boys club) have absolutely ruined this great game- nothing more to say really. How many times players throw the ball away is astonishing. the interpretations are a joke which shadows the current leadership in AFL headquarters. The sad part is it will not get any better as the apprentice will take over next year and continue the poo show :banghead

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2626 on: June 11, 2023, 10:34:57 AM »
Was that Bazil Zempless commentating tonight?

Yep

Thought so even commentators were bias..

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2627 on: June 11, 2023, 10:59:29 AM »
Its time for the umpires to be held responsible for not blowing the whistle when its obvious that a tackle has nailed the player in possession.  The longer the tackler has to wait for a decision (90% likely the only decision that could be made) the more likely he is to sling the player into the ground.  Even deciding to call a ball up with an early whistle is better than having a player flung into the ground. 

Removing the sling tackle from the game is simple - Just blow the F%$#ing whistle!!
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2628 on: June 11, 2023, 01:18:21 PM »
Correct JP. Umpires give way too much leeway for player with ball. The classic was last night when Freo guy had ball for an hour and Graham swung him around and down - was called sling. Was actually holding the ball! Call it earlier umps - before the sling starts.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2629 on: June 11, 2023, 02:34:30 PM »
There was one play in our forward 50 I think it was in the third quarter where one of the freo defenders collected the ball, was tackled but had both arms clear above his head. I know he was tackled more or less straight away but he had both arms free and could have easily shot a handball out to get rid of the footy but instead he just kept possession of it over his head. Could not believe that wasn’t called holding the ball.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2630 on: June 11, 2023, 04:34:23 PM »
The AFL has ticked off on last night's Ethan Hughes score review.

AFL Edge was used, but was ultimately deemed 'insufficient evidence'.

@FOXFOOTY

https://twitter.com/DavidZita1/status/1667720672062353409

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Fremantle goal review: Nathan Broad 'compromised the system' (7news)
« Reply #2631 on: June 11, 2023, 06:29:42 PM »
AFL reveals killer detail in controversial Richmond-Fremantle goal review: Nathan Broad ‘compromised the system’

A crucial piece of information was lost in Nathan Broad’s game-saving moment.

Shayne Hope
7news
11 June 2023

The AFL has confirmed its highly touted Edge technology was not used in the goal review that helped Richmond hold off Fremantle because Nathan Broad’s contact with a post compromised the system.

Dockers wingman Ethan Hughes’ long shot at goal could have dragged the home side back within four points late in Saturday night’s contest at Optus Stadium.

The goal umpire believed the ball had touched the goal post but called for a review, which found the available evidence was inconclusive. That meant the decision fell back on the umpire and the behind stood.

Richmond’s lead was cut to nine points and they hung on to win a thriller, giving their finals hopes a massive boost in the process.

The Edge technology - used to determine whether a ball has hit the post - was not shown on the television broadcast.

Tigers defender Broad tracked Hughes’ kick back towards the goal line and ran into the goal post, compromising the Edge system.

With Edge unavailable, there was insufficient evidence to determine whether the ball hit or missed the goal post.

An AFL spokesperson on Sunday told AAP the league had ticked off the goal review process.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-reveals-killer-detail-in-controversial-goal-review-compromised-the-system-c-10945891

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2632 on: June 11, 2023, 07:48:34 PM »
The AFL has ticked off on last night's Ethan Hughes score review.

AFL Edge was used, but was ultimately deemed 'insufficient evidence'.

@FOXFOOTY

https://twitter.com/DavidZita1/status/1667720672062353409

Well it was either a behind or it made up for that Walters bollocks so gagf

Offline Thrasher97

• Future Richmond star
Re: Fremantle goal review: Nathan Broad 'compromised the system' (7news)
« Reply #2633 on: June 12, 2023, 11:36:16 AM »

Tigers defender Broad tracked Hughes’ kick back towards the goal line and ran into the goal post, compromising the Edge system.

With Edge unavailable, there was insufficient evidence to determine whether the ball hit or missed the goal post.

This is the part I don't get, Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but the ball hit the post/went near the post before Broad touch the post?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Fremantle goal review: Nathan Broad 'compromised the system' (7news)
« Reply #2634 on: June 12, 2023, 01:07:33 PM »

This is the part I don't get, Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but the ball hit the post/went near the post before Broad touch the post?

Correct but for reasons only the AFL can explain as soon as Broad touched the post it is supposedly compromised

Absolute nonsense from my perspective. Would hate to have a GF decided by that
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2635 on: June 12, 2023, 01:20:01 PM »
I saw someone say that it hit the umpires flag as well which is considered as part of the post anyway. I didn’t know that was a rule so wasn’t looking at that at all.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2636 on: June 12, 2023, 04:56:21 PM »
Its time for the umpires to be held responsible for not blowing the whistle when its obvious that a tackle has nailed the player in possession.  The longer the tackler has to wait for a decision (90% likely the only decision that could be made) the more likely he is to sling the player into the ground.  Even deciding to call a ball up with an early whistle is better than having a player flung into the ground. 

Removing the sling tackle from the game is simple - Just blow the F%$#ing whistle!!
Correct JP. Umpires give way too much leeway for player with ball. The classic was last night when Freo guy had ball for an hour and Graham swung him around and down - was called sling. Was actually holding the ball! Call it earlier umps - before the sling starts.
When you watch the replay Johnson's arms weren't pinned either by Graham. Arms free, being spun around by more than 360 degrees and making no attempt to get rid of the ball, should be HTB. 

https://twitter.com/VeteranDave/status/1668069934788923394

As you say JP, the ump (O'Gorman) caused the tackle to go to unnecessarily go to ground because he didn't blow his whistle when he should have.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2637 on: June 14, 2023, 01:54:56 PM »
About time someone in the media finally called out how Richmond was/is shafted by the umps.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/13/overreactions-positives-negatives-and-undroppables-for-all-18-afl-teams-in-13/

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2638 on: June 17, 2023, 07:44:12 PM »
Why don’t they pay free kicks for us

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2639 on: June 17, 2023, 08:05:45 PM »
Bolton tripped.
Samson held.
Kmac's arms chopped.
Jack tackled high.

It's as usual the ones they don't pay us.

Meanwhile, Auskick rules apply to Max King and the Saints.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd