Author Topic: Judson Clarke [merged]  (Read 19285 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Judson Clarke [merged]
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2022, 04:22:22 AM »
‘Red wine’s everywhere’: Rookie’s family go nuts at debut double

Tigers debutant Judson Clarke has had a stunning start to his AFL career after brilliant first quarter double put him in rare company.

Andrew McMurtry
news.com.au
June 10, 2022

The Richmond Tigers have unearthed another star as 18-year-old wunderkind Judson Clarke booted two goals with his first two kicks in the AFL in the side’s 11.11 (77) to 10.5 (65) win over Port Adelaide.

The left-footed small forward was nabbed with pick 30 of the 2021 AFL Draft and did not have to wait long to land his first AFL major.

The Tigers had gone down by two goals early before fighting back, kicking six straight, including two for Clarke.

With 10 minutes left in the first term, Clarke was taken high and had his first set shot from about 40 out, sending his family into hysterics.

“You can’t help but smile and be excited,” Hamish McLachlan said in commentary.

“I feel really good for him. Got the handball away, I was pleased he did, then suddenly 15 seconds later, his first goal in AFL football. Brilliant stuff.”

Clarke had reportedly received 30 tickets for his debut and his family were going nuts.

Five minutes later, Dustin Martin put in a perfectly weighted kick as the youngster set up — and kicked — his second.

His family again went up, and it appears as though his nan may have sprayed the area in wine as she celebrated the score.

“Red wine’s gone everywhere – everyone is excited,” McLachlan said. “Kicked two goals, got Dustin Martin’s arm around him … life’s OK!”

While he was no Clen Denning, who had six goals with his first six kicks back in 1935, it was a dream debut for the teenager.

He joined a select group of 41 players who have kicked multiple goals with their first kicks and the first since Sam Weideman in 2016.

At quarter time, Hawks legend Jason Dunstall

“This young man is now two for two and there’s something about left footers, they just look like they’re really good kicks,” he said. “He had a hand pass and a couple of kicks for a couple of goals and there’s every reason to be excited.

Clarke’s dad Jarrod spoke on the ABC of the nerves as the rookie lines up the shot and said: “He’s a pretty good kick, so I knew he was going to kick it.”

Fans were happy for the teenager to get his career off to the perfect start.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/red-wines-everywhere-rookies-family-go-nuts-at-debut-double/news-story/f73894b6e72a54d1fbb8b10870213471

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2022, 06:27:12 AM »
You can see the class is there in this kid.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2022, 09:32:34 AM »

Indeed
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2022, 10:28:20 AM »

Yep, I strongly believe talent finds a way regardless of age. This is why I am confident that guy's like Miller, Nyuon, RCD, Martyn, Cumberland etc will all amount to nothing or at best C grade role players who can do one thing only.

Given that our tall stocks aren't great there's an argument to keep Miller and Nyuon but the rest can be cut loose.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2022, 12:46:19 PM »
Of that list only Miller is worth keeping.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2022, 10:16:18 PM »
Juddy Clarke copying and learning off Lambert.

Getting the win on debut

“Definitely was a slog, tough fight, but super-stoked to get away with the four points in the end . . . just over the moon.”

Lining up for the set shot to kick his first goal

“I was just trying to stay confident within myself. Don’t want to over-think it too much. It’s just another game. That’s all I was trying to put through my head. So, I didn’t want to over-complicate things . . . Just happy with the way it landed. It was pretty special, all the boys getting around me. I don’t think there’s any other feeling quite like it. Pretty surreal. It’s a moment you dream about as a kid and for it to finally come true is just amazing.”

The transition from VFL to AFL football

“It’s definitely another level up. The game moves a lot faster. I think I was a little bit slow into it at the start, but as the game rolled on I kind of got used to it and got to that speed level.”

Support from his teammates

“It was unreal. Everyone was so encouraging, even if I made a mistake, like when I kicked that one out on the full. Jack Riewoldt was just talking to me, saying it’s alright, which helped me move on from it really quickly and then get back into what I needed to do next.”

Following Kane Lambert’s lead

“I just try to follow behind him . . . Trying to get my professionalism and work-rate up there with his.”

Read more here: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1146589/judson-clarke-on-debut-in-his-own-words

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2022, 10:32:18 PM »
Agreed.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2022, 12:09:47 AM »
Excellent role model to have is lambo.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2022, 10:05:28 AM »
Excellent role model to have is lambo.

Yep. Should keep him on as some sort of coach and development role.

Agreed.

Also agree with this. He's ahead of biggy in the eyes of an overwhelming majority.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2022, 05:53:55 PM »
Looks unnervingly like fiora, hopefully he doesn’t play like him
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2022, 05:58:46 PM »
Problem was fiora was coming into a bad cultured club. He may have been better at a successful club back then. We dont know. He was highly rated. Clarke has tools to become a good player. He showed some on Thursday night

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2022, 07:56:14 AM »
Like the look of this kid has skill and smarts.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2022, 09:00:10 AM »
Looks unnervingly like fiora, hopefully he doesn’t play like him

Thats it, he seemed so familiar but i couldnt place the link, but yeh Fiona for sure
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 02:53:19 PM by Chuck17 »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2022, 05:51:43 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2023, 04:03:06 PM »
Hard work driving emerging Tiger

By Tate Spiteri
Richmond Media
2 February 2023

Judson Clarke wants the ball in his hands.

At home, training, and most notably, when the game is on the line.

"I always had a footy in my hand growing up; I still have them in my room, on my bed, and everywhere really, ready to pick up," Clarke explained.

So it is no surprise that the exciting youngster has already shown Richmond fans his silky finishing ability, offering a glimpse of the future in his three senior AFL matches last year.

The left-footer popped up with a crucial goal in the fourth term against eventual premiers Geelong at a heaving MCG in Round 15, and also, with all eyes on him, made no mistake from consecutive first-quarter set shots, as he debuted in front of Friday night lights a fortnight earlier.

Off-Broadway at VFL level, with the Tigers needing to win their Round 22 clash against Frankston to be a chance at a finals berth, Clarke's third goal from 19 disposals was a miraculous match-winner from the boundary line.

"Without pressure, I know I am a good kick at goal, so even if I am under pressure, I just need to carry the same process out," the youngster told Richmond Media.

"I like feeling that pressure and am confident in my skills and execution - so if the game was on the line, I'd love that situation."

Such finishing ability is no fluke for Clarke, with the youngster's innate love for football helping him to develop an excellent self-driven work rate.

"I love getting in and training every day; it makes me feel good and has been how I have lived my life from a very young age,” he said.

"Ever since I can remember, it has been my dream to play AFL footy; I basically live and breathe it and am always at the Club."

Clarke said his high work rate developed through his junior football days stemmed from the same simple desire - to touch the football.

"Running was a way for me to get more of the ball at training (because) I just could not be waiting on the back of the cone," he said.

"I did it to get my touch up, but I think that ended up teaching me to work hard because that is how you improve ultimately."

The 19-year-old was speaking to Richmond Media from Apollo Bay and his second pre-season camp, where he was continuing to lay claims for senior selection come the start of the season.

"I definitely set goals because it's something to look forward to," he said.

"Mine are to play as many (AFL) games as I can, and hopefully more than last year (three). Every week I will be working at it week-by-week and trusting that process."

Clarke hopes that Richmond fans learn to appreciate him “as a player that excites them” and will continue to work on his forward craft while also developing other aspects of his game on the training track.

"I have definitely been working hard on a forward role and also expanding my game to give me more versatility for the coaches to give them confidence I can do the job in multiple spots," he said.

"Kane (Lambert) has been a huge help, I see him every day, and there is nothing I can't ask him, and he is always there - he is unreal.

"Other young boys too, like Sam Banks, Maurice (Rioli Junior), and Jase (Castagna) as well, I lean into them and their knowledge of their own roles (to help me)."

Clarke who has committed to the Club until the end of 2025, added that being drafted among a crop of five had been beneficial for him.

“The bond and relationship that we all share is pretty good, and I am really excited that the other four boys I was drafted with have signed on until 2025 as well,” he said.

“I am really excited that our journey will continue to go through (together) and am really glad it has happened like that.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1266971/hard-work-driving-emerging-tiger