Author Topic: Where to now? (afl)  (Read 646 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Where to now? (afl)
« on: August 29, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »
Nothing beyond the obvious from Plough ...

Where to now?
By Terry Wallace
Mon 29 Aug, 2011

AFTER the results of the weekend, the top eight is set, and with only one round to play before September, it is time to analyze why these bottom nine teams missed the finals and what their direction should be for 2012.

11th - RICHMOND

Another unusual year, one that was topped and tailed with great expectation, but losses of sold home games to the 16th and 17th teams hurt. This club has more dynamic and match-breaking youngsters than most but have they got the depth?

Improvement came from Vickery and Rance which makes the future brighter.

Expectation should be breaking into the eight in 2012. A senior ruckman would help.

In closing, list planning over many years will normally be the catalyst of a team on the rise. Decisions that were made four or five years ago impact your chances in the current environment. Some trade and draft calls at the end of the year might help in 2012, but in reality, most clubs' destines are already set.

Read all bottom 9 side summaries at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/122129/default.aspx

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Where to now? (afl)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:50:46 PM »
but in reality, most clubs' destines are already set.

Terry don't give me that crap. You had alot of picks so some of them was going to work out but its a matter of success rate and you failed. Don't try and rewrite history and make out you recruited a finals team(if we ever make them)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 12:53:35 PM »
11th - RICHMOND

but losses of sold home games to the 16th and 17th teams hurt.

Yeah they did but the 2 everyone forgets is the draw against the Saints and round 1 after being 4 goals up - win those 2 and we play finals  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 02:13:38 PM »
11th - RICHMOND

Yeah they did but the 2 everyone forgets is the draw against the Saints and round 1 after being 4 goals up - win those 2 and we play finals  ;D

Agree. With our current form and confidence we would win that round 1 game. Belief and confidence was not there in round 1.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 02:34:59 PM »
11th - RICHMOND

Good point WP, although the losses to the top 5 sides aside, there were many games we should have won.
eg: bulldogs- let them get out to a 30 point lead- played catch up all day and lost by the opening margin as a result
melbourne, first game similiar story
sydney, close in the end and didnt capitilise on 3 scoring shots in last couple of minutes to win the game, sydney's kicking wAs poor and we should have burnt them for that.

Experience and confidence will go along way in 2012, as will a senior ruckman to guide gus and browne
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 03:40:52 PM »
Don't forget the return match against the Bummers...

We should have finished top 4 in reality... ;D
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
sorry was gonna type that one after melbourne by got sidetracked, yep that probably hurts the most cos they are in the mix now, and at the stage we had the hatchet to their throat and fell away
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S