Author Topic: Ben Miller [merged]  (Read 42498 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Ben Miller [merged]
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2022, 11:13:35 AM »
Personally think we keep it. Can't have clubs avoiding concussion protocols to avoid being disadvantaged also Port with Butters. That was ridiculous.

Some adjustments I'd make. If a team makes a medical sub. The opposition are allowed to sub a player out for any reason. This should avoid any advantage a medical sub gives regardless whether it legit reason or not.

So a bloke tears a hammy off the bone and the opposition gets a free sub? Doesn’t stack up.

It's not a free sub. If an team has a player who gets injured and is allowed to come off for fresh legged sub (Miller for Rioli), I think it's only fair that then triggers the opposition to be allowed to use their sub for any reason to balance out the advantage the injured club gets. They don't have to use it and save it for a genuine injury, or concussion or they can choose to not use it and wait for an injury to occur.

I mean thats the core of the issue with Rioli and Miller is that regardless of Miller being injured or not we had a fresh speedy player come on in dying stages. Now its up for debate whether it was a grey area or not but I think we'd all agree it was advantageous to us. Cut the grey area and have a rule that would allow us to use our sub cause Freo had already used theirs and got Coyler on which, fresh legs was advantageous for them at the time.

I think it would be fairer to unlock the sub
Go Tigers!

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2022, 12:09:45 PM »
Very simple
If someone is subbed off they shouldn’t be available for selection the following week

Not that this would deter shenanigans in a GF .. but during the season it might

FooffooValve

« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2022, 12:45:16 PM »
Very simple
If someone is subbed off they shouldn’t be available for selection the following week

Not that this would deter shenanigans in a GF .. but during the season it might

Don't like it - what if you're subbed off in a prelim because of a bad migraine? Sorry mate, you're perfectly fine, but you miss the GF.

Just make the sub activatable at any time for any reason, and once one team activates a sub, the other team can also. Of course that leads to tactical selections, but that's not bad IMO.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2022, 02:55:06 PM »
Just get rid of the sub altogether. If a player can’t take any further part in the game and a team is left down 1 rotation then that’s unfortunate but that’s footy. It wasn’t a problem for decades and now with more rotations allowed and players fitter than ever I don’t see the need for it.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2022, 03:28:09 PM »
Just to get this thread back on track our club should be sugning Ben to a 2yr or 3yr deal. I think hes getting better with games played. I wouldnt risk losing a 197cm key back whose 22yo. Theyre bloody hard to find.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #170 on: July 27, 2022, 03:31:45 PM »
Just to get this thread back on track our club should be sugning Ben to a 2yr or 3yr deal. I think hes getting better with games played. I wouldnt risk losing a 197cm key back whose 22yo. Theyre bloody hard to find.

Ben is currently on the rookie list & has been since November 2020

I agree , need to keep

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #171 on: July 27, 2022, 03:52:52 PM »
With all the retirements they should put him on the main list with a new contract.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #172 on: July 27, 2022, 04:46:37 PM »
Absolutely, he looks very promising and will only develop with senior games.

We should have Gibgus spend the pre-season learn the forward structures so he can be a swing man too, plenty of comparisons to Peter Knights.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #173 on: July 27, 2022, 05:41:49 PM »
Richmond subs used 2022

Prestia subbed R1 missed next 2
Dow subbed R2 played next week
Grimes subbed R3 missed next 3
R4 no sub used
Ralphsmith subbed R5 missed next 3
Dow subbed R6 missed next week
Prestia subbed R7 missed next week
R8 no sub used
Balta subbed R9 missed next 2
Lambert subbed R10 missed next week
R11 no sub used
R13 no sub used
R14 Balta subbed missed next 3
R15 Prestia subbed missed next week
R16 Martin subbed hasn't played since
R17 Lynch subbed hasn't played since
R18 Gibcus subbed played VFL next week
R19 Miller subbed ???? for R20

So Thomson Dow & Gibcus are the only 2 Richmond players who was subbed out of a game that played the following week, yet Richmond are the ones that are being branded as cheats and bending the rules to advantage.

https://twitter.com/P_T_Ager/status/1552167143289933824

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2022, 04:30:15 AM »
Quote from: Mitch Cleary
Quote from: 7news Melbourne
The AFL has cleared the air on one of footy's most controversial issues from round 19. Live now is @_AMcCormack7 with all the details. #7AFL #7NEWS

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1552216524706181120
Brad Scott to @7NewsMelbourne on Tiger Ben Miller being available for this week after he was subbed:

“AFL Chief Medical officer has reviewed with Richmond’s club doctor and is comfortable with his explanation and clinical diagnosis.”

https://twitter.com/cleary_mitch/status/1552228487909363713

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2022, 05:34:37 PM »
Dimma was asked about Miller today:

"Not too sure [he will play] yet. He did a little bit of a run through on Tuesday. He'll be limited in some aspects today. So we'll have to wait and see how that goes. What I will say though ... we find it quite challenging at stages that a medical practitioner is challenged with respect to the sub. Ben had an incident in the first quarter; he had pain management before the game; he had pain management during the game; and the fact of the matter is we make the decision that either Ben can try and push on and possibly end up missing two weeks or we can get Ben off. So our personal decision is we prefer that player to play the next following week. I don't know why it became a bit of a Richmond thing but the fact of the matter is there's lots of players that got subbed off last week that will possibly play this week. So from our point of view it's a non issue."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1182987/hardwick-previews-brisbane

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #176 on: August 06, 2022, 10:37:45 PM »
I’m really liking this second ruck role for Miller. Competing well in the ruck contest and good when the ball hits the deck. Can also move into defence or the forward line (although yikes at that set shot) should the game dictate it or we cop an injury to one of our kps.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #177 on: August 06, 2022, 10:56:45 PM »
He shanked it. Normally a very good kick.

Looking very versatile. No reason to play a guy like Grimes if we win some finals.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2022, 05:44:03 PM »
Yeah he's normally a great kick at goal. Versatile and aerobic moves well always been that.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2022, 09:48:40 AM »
Two year extension signed!