Author Topic: Round 1, 2022: Richmond vs Carlton @ the MCG, Thurs. March 17  (Read 33367 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Round 1, 2022: Richmond vs Carlton @ the MCG, Thurs. March 17
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2022, 07:16:03 AM »
Did Bolton attend a centre bounce in the last quarter?
Yep, Bolton attended 4 centre bounces in the last quarter.

Like his teammates he didn't win a centre clearance either  :-\.

Centre Bounce Attendances after Bolton's goal (our last):

Rucks: Nank 4, Soldo 2, Balta 1.

Mids: Cotch 5, Baker 5, Bolton 4, Graham 3, Dusty 2, Edwards 2.

1. Nank  Cotch Dusty Graham  ..... Dusty gathers but kicks into Cerra. Stoppage (ball up).

2. Nank  Cotch Edwards Graham .... Free against Edwards (paid kicking in danger). 50m against Graham.

3. Nank  Cotch Edwards Baker ..... Cotch gathers but kicks into Hewett. Cripps clearance kick.

4. Soldo Cotch Bolton Baker ...... Carlton first hands via all 3 mids. Cripps hands to Hewett hands to Kennedy clearance kick.

5. Soldo Graham Bolton Baker ..... Carlton first hands.
                                                   Tigers all drawn to Cripps but gang tackle fails to stop overhead handball.
                                                   Hewett clearance kick.

6. Balta Dusty Bolton Baker ...... De Koning grabs ball out of ruck and gets the clearance kick.

7. Nank  Cotch Bolton Baker ...... Baker and Nank both chance of first hands but both fumble and are pressured out of it.
                                                De Koning clearance kick.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

FooffooValve

« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2022, 09:07:50 AM »
Yeah interesting. Dusty and Shedda only 2 bounces when we were getting routinely smashed in there. Cotch in at every bounce. We missed Prestia of course, but he is a non-factor now so we have to look closely at what we do in there.

FooffooValve

« Reply #302 on: March 18, 2022, 09:48:42 AM »
Pickett is another that could go to centre bounces. He's clever with his hands and isn't afraid to lay a big tackle.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #303 on: March 18, 2022, 11:23:19 AM »
The biggest issue with our tackles is we don't pin arms. I lost count in 2nd half of how many times we'd tackle without pinning arms and Carlton were able to get a quick handball out.

This non pinning of the arms has been going on a while now.

And just on another issue I hate Carlton as much as the next person but I am not ashamed to say I was really happy for Sam Docherty especially after he kicked that goal.

Bloke's been through hell and to come back, well; is bloody good footy story

Very similar all those years back against N0rt when McCartney came back after the Bali bombings...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 02:48:25 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #304 on: March 18, 2022, 12:28:25 PM »
We often got first hands on it in the centre bounces but gave it straight back...also another area affected by our peeweak tackling....Carlton win the ball we tackle them straight away but the either shrugged it off or still got the ball away...even with multiple tacklers on them....been killing us all over the ground for the last 12 months...also worth noting how many Carlton goals were either directly or indirectly from errors....  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

FooffooValve

« Reply #305 on: March 18, 2022, 12:31:48 PM »
The biggest issue with our tackles is we don't pin arms. I lost count in 2nd half of how many times we'd tackle without pinning arms and Carlton were able to get a quick handball out.

Agree, I raised that earlier in the thread. It goes back to having bigger bodies around stoppage - not sure what the fix is there, we just don't have the personnel. And bloody Cerra sucked in the umps about three times with this in the back while lying on the ground rubbish. Drives me crazy.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #306 on: March 18, 2022, 12:42:45 PM »
Still staggers me that we don't/can't pin the arms in tackles....or watch the hips... :shh

Also annoying to see to two Richmond supporters in Cerra & Kennedy carving us up in Scum jumpers...horrible flashbacks to Wayne Harmes.... :help
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #307 on: March 18, 2022, 04:03:11 PM »
Voss and a couple of Carlton players (Jack Martin was one) who played last night have tested positive for covid.

Source: 7news.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2022, 04:05:52 PM »
They had it before the game but carlton are scum and theyve put every plsyer on the field at risk.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2022, 07:44:40 PM »
Has any in the media asked when and what the test were the day before the game

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2022, 08:03:00 PM »
Has any in the media asked when and what the test were the day before the game
on ch7 news said all yesterday's results were negative
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2022, 11:12:45 PM »

We often got first hands on it in the centre bounces but gave it straight back...also another area affected by our peeweak tackling....Carlton win the ball we tackle them straight away but the either shrugged it off or still got the ball away...even with multiple tacklers on them....been killing us all over the ground for the last 12 months...also worth noting how many Carlton goals were either directly or indirectly from errors....  :shh
Both posts spot on. We've gone from being one of the best tackling teams to one of the worst. Technically we're ordinary, we're reactive and the intensity and hunger at and in the contest over 4 quarters is no longer there. Carlton mids wanted it more. They went in harder and lower, worked harder off the ball as a group and most of their tackles stuck.

ps. I mentioned our last main training session was sloppy and we weren't switched on properly. You often play as you train. It feels like standards have slipped over the past 12 months. 

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #312 on: March 19, 2022, 03:23:09 AM »
Straight back in 2020 form I see. Just can’t understand how we can be wildly inconsistent within the 1 game. Q1 good, Q2 bad, Q3 good, Q4 horrible. We got smashed in the middle in Q2 and I thought without Prestia that would be the case for the rest of the night but then we came right back in Q3 only to not show up in Q4  :banghead Ahhhh well onto next week.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #313 on: March 20, 2022, 05:16:55 PM »
Straight back in 2020 form I see. Just can’t understand how we can be wildly inconsistent within the 1 game. Q1 good, Q2 bad, Q3 good, Q4 horrible. We got smashed in the middle in Q2 and I thought without Prestia that would be the case for the rest of the night but then we came right back in Q3 only to not show up in Q4  :banghead Ahhhh well onto next week.
A mixture of fatigue, rule changes  :thumbsdown, ill-discipline, age and hunger?

I felt we dominated Q1 when we were fresh, the first half of Q3 after the longer half-time break and we got the first goal of the last in the first 5 mins. We also played differently in Q3 with a more tempo style controlling possession. Carlton had more of the territory in the latter periods of Q3 and of course dominated Q2 & Q4. Yes our side is getting older but our ability to run out games has fallen away over the past 18 months as has our ability to stop opposition run ons. The Geelong (R8), West Coast and Collingwood games last year and now Carlton this year. Losing Rob Inness to the Swans was a big loss in hindsight.

Dumb costly yet preventable errors don't help either with giving the opposition the momentum of the game back and run ons which we are making more and more of. 5 of Carlton's 7 goals in the last quarter were off our own unforced errors  :help. Two from 50m penalties (both by Graham although the first should've been a free to Sheds  ::) ); Two from Ross turnovers in the back half; and then Gibcus' lose arm high contact free [first game and his only real mistake on the night so I'll cut him some slack]. They must have got at least 4 if not 5 goals from our 50m penalties across the night. That's the final margin right there.

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #314 on: March 20, 2022, 05:22:18 PM »
Playing 9 talls instead of the usual 7 means 1 or 2 less runners/mids , i wonder how much of an affect that had..
plus playing slow average players like aarts and ross on the wing..
Need a better structure , like melbourne