Author Topic: The End Of The Characters  (Read 1361 times)

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
The End Of The Characters
« on: April 05, 2008, 07:42:07 PM »
 With the recent "banning" of Akers handstand on the back of it being an individual act and not "part of the team" how do others feel about the demise of the characters of the game?
Love them or hate them the individuals of the game...the Richos, Fevs, Akers, Llyods etc seem to be going the way of the torpedo and the screamer, a part of VFL/Afl history.
What are others' views on this?
For mine, I think it depersonalises a team, makes it more robotic....but then robots win Grand Finals so maybe its for the best?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: The End Of The Characters
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 12:36:27 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if Aker was told to cut out the handstand as away to tell him to leave his Brisbane days behind. He was still talking about Lethal tonight on BTG.

But you're right 2JD, the characters in the game are dwingling in number. You'll never see dinosaurs like Justin Madden or Mark Jackson acting like a looney next to Kelvin Moore ever again. The professionalism in the modern game and requirement for highly athletic footballers means only the likes of a Franklin will be rare characters left in terms of people going to the footy to watch a certain footballer. Also the high rotations means the best players spend time on the bench or on different opponents as the game becomes a 22 player team game rather than 1 or 2 superstars getting teams across the line.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Little Jackie

Re: The End Of The Characters
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:22:18 AM »
Had breaky with Mark Jackson on the gold coast a few weeks ago, good bloke is Jacko, Reckons the tiges are going no where as they lack mongrel he reckons. he is a mountain of a bloke