Author Topic: Jack Ross [merged]  (Read 85428 times)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Re: Jack Ross [merged]
« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2022, 10:52:36 PM »
I think Graham is a solid player. Was poor last year.

Talk of him captaining the club one day has been around since his first season. For mine, regardless of his capabilities to be a leader, I'd want significant improvement from him as a player before that ever occurred. Be a bit embarrassing if your captain wasn't in your best 22 every week
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2022, 08:50:59 AM »

Talk of him captaining the club one day has been around since his first season. For mine, regardless of his capabilities to be a leader, I'd want significant improvement from him as a player before that ever occurred. Be a bit embarrassing if your captain wasn't in your best 22 every week

I would think the fact Graham was picked for round 1 without having played any footy in the end up games by the coaches says that 8n their eyes he is easily in our best 22.

Should he have played round 1, IMHO; NO! But that was the call they made and even Dimma admitted they got it wrong

As to the question as to what basis there was talk of Graham being Captain. It is because he Captained the SA under 18 state team as well as his club...he is a natural leader like Cotch was

Claw, as to what " I perceive Graham's rile to be"? Not perception but what has been said by the coaches at many functions I've been too or pre match briefing I get as part of my membership.

TBH I can't see the point of explaining as it won't suit narratives or the stats
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #227 on: March 21, 2022, 01:33:20 PM »

I would think the fact Graham was picked for round 1 without having played any footy in the end up games by the coaches says that 8n their eyes he is easily in our best 22.

Should he have played round 1, IMHO; NO! But that was the call they made and even Dimma admitted they got it wrong

As to the question as to what basis there was talk of Graham being Captain. It is because he Captained the SA under 18 state team as well as his club...he is a natural leader like Cotch was

Claw, as to what " I perceive Graham's rile to be"? Not perception but what has been said by the coaches at many functions I've been too or pre match briefing I get as part of my membership.

TBH I can't see the point of explaining as it won't suit narratives or the stats
  I'm not saying he isn't best 22. When he's healthy and being used the right way, he is. Tough nut, great tackler and has reasonably tidy skills generally. But he's not and will probably never be in the top level of players at the club. Personally I want my captain to be a player who is impossible to ever consider dropping to the 2s. Graham in my mind has played poorly enough on plenty of occasions to warrant demoting. Bloke has my respect forever for being a premiership player and what he did for us in that preliminary final though
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2022, 01:51:46 PM »
We can talk about the Ross' & the Grahams' for weeks on end but it is ignoring the elephant in the room.  The bigger problem we have is that our preferred midfield (Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Lambert, Edwards) are going over the hill but we keep them in the team out of sentiment.  Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely loved what each of these guys have done for us over the years, but most of their best form is in the rear view mirror. 
With Dusty going forward & staying there, we can play Ross as an inside mid.  With Cotch going (err ... interchange ...) we bring in RCD, then rotate using Baker, Graham & Bolton.  Inject some youth & pace into the middle & take some pain that comes with it, but we will be better for it in good time.  We need to change the old guard & we need to do it now. 
Many, many thanks to the old guard, but the time is now .... 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #229 on: March 21, 2022, 02:04:53 PM »
Agree JP. Good post.

We will obviously need to target some top-end midfield talent in the upcoming draft too.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #230 on: March 21, 2022, 03:35:55 PM »
We can talk about the Ross' & the Grahams' for weeks on end but it is ignoring the elephant in the room.  The bigger problem we have is that our preferred midfield (Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Lambert, Edwards) are going over the hill but we keep them in the team out of sentiment.  Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely loved what each of these guys have done for us over the years, but most of their best form is in the rear view mirror. 
With Dusty going forward & staying there, we can play Ross as an inside mid.  With Cotch going (err ... interchange ...) we bring in RCD, then rotate using Baker, Graham & Bolton.  Inject some youth & pace into the middle & take some pain that comes with it, but we will be better for it in good time.  We need to change the old guard & we need to do it now. 

Spot on to be honest that's stating the obvious change needs to come champions or not we need to inject the new blood.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #231 on: March 21, 2022, 04:50:56 PM »

Supported!!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #232 on: March 21, 2022, 05:25:19 PM »
Hardwick & the Match Committee will likely rotate the youngsters throughout the year while playing most of the veterans every week but they really should be doing the opposite of that.... :shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #233 on: March 21, 2022, 08:02:03 PM »
This is a great post respectful to the oldies but clearly acknowledging its time to play the kids.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2022, 08:26:30 PM »

:clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2022, 08:29:06 PM »

Poty

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #236 on: March 27, 2022, 07:29:32 PM »
Usual jack Ross game today, albeit slightly better than last week given he laid 3 tackles and not much else.

What was his game time?
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #237 on: March 27, 2022, 07:32:32 PM »
He will be passed by the likes of Sonsie, Brown, Banks and Clarke. Its unfortunate but thats how I think it will work out.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #238 on: March 27, 2022, 07:38:17 PM »
I’m not seeing anything from him to be honest. All the talk about him being an inside mid and being played out of position well he didn’t win a clearance that I saw. Had opportunities when swapping with Dow in the guts but no good in there either.  :thumbsdown

I think he’s a bust dime a dozen player that isn’t clean nor does he offer anything as a two way runner as he’s always slow to contests. Could really see his deficiencies today.
The club that keeps giving.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #239 on: March 27, 2022, 08:00:33 PM »
He was a bit fumbly for my liking today.

Has a dig for sure but I don't think he has what it takes unfortunately.