Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 903775 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #1440 on: March 22, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »

Got to love Cotchin tho what champion bloke and great footballer.Were in good hands with him there.

Totally agree  :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1441 on: March 24, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »
I've moved the Dustin Martin discussion from the footy show thread to here.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1442 on: March 24, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
Cotchin backs Martin
By Matt Thompson
afl.com.au
Sunday, March 24, 2013

RICHMOND captain Trent Cotchin has brushed aside off-field concerns about Dustin Martin, declaring the controversial midfielder is in excellent shape for 2013.

The 21-year-old has at times been in the spotlight for his off-field behavior, which saw him hit with a club-imposed suspension last season and also the subject of inflammatory social media chatter over summer.

But Cotchin has backed the star midfielder to fire like never before in 2013.

"He's flying. He pulled up a little bit sore from last weekend's game but he's ready to go," Cotchin told AFL.com.au. 

"He's had the best preparation he's had since being at the club."

Cotchin said a big part of the summer has been spent building structure into Martin's life, plus tutelage from new Richmond assistant coach Mark Williams.

"He's got his house set up exactly how he wants it now, he said he's more than comfortable just to sit on the couch whereas he's been a little bored at home before," Cotchin said. 

"He's working with Linfox once a week, so he's learning a lot both footy-wise and off-field wise."

"'Choco' Williams has been fantastic in helping him set up a lot of it and I think we'll see a lot of benefits from what he's been doing off-field and away from the club come footy time."

Cotchin's strong support from Martin comes after Garry Lyon warned the Tigers would look to trade Martin if he didn't get his off-field act together.

Lyon told AFL.com.au's Footy Focus he had no doubt Martin's issues continued to concern Richmond.

"Make no mistake, there are some issues with Dustin at Richmond," Lyon said.

"People can deny all they want, but his off-field stuff remains an issue for the Richmond Football Club."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-24/cotchin-backs-martin

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1443 on: March 24, 2013, 03:38:31 PM »
I wonder if Gaaaadeee has allegedly taken anyone boating this weekend, lovely weather out there
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ox

« Reply #1444 on: March 24, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »
Really, y&b !!

Forecast is for flakes on the bay....
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:46:16 PM by WilliamPowell »

Ox

« Reply #1445 on: March 24, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »
meteorologically speaking of course

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1446 on: March 24, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »
meteorologically speaking of course

Yes, yes - it's his free base
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ox

« Reply #1447 on: March 24, 2013, 08:32:13 PM »
I love how Lyon is clearly part Anglo Indian but "can't go there, sister!!"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1448 on: March 24, 2013, 11:33:02 PM »
Tigers back Dustin Martin to shine in AFL
WWOS.ninemsn.com.au
Sun Mar 24 2013

Richmond captain Trent Cotchin and president Gary March have backed star midfielder Dustin Martin to enjoy the best season of his AFL career.

The 21-year-old is one of Richmond's top players, but there have been concerns about his off-field behaviour.

He received a two-match suspension from the Tigers last season for missing a team recovery session.

Cotchin and March said on Sunday they were rapt with Martin's pre-season and his attitude.

"He's had the best preparation he's had since being at the club," Cotchin told the AFL website.

Martin now has a part-time job and new assistant coach Mark Williams had helped him settle into his new home.

"'Choco' Williams has been fantastic in helping him set up a lot of it and I think we'll see a lot of benefits from what he's been doing off-field and away from the club come footy time," Cotchin said.

"He said he's more than comfortable just to sit on the couch whereas he's been a little bored at home before."

March, who once had Martin living at his home, also said on Channel Nine's Footy Show he was excited about how the midfielder was shaping up.

The Tigers open their season on Thursday night with their traditional round-one blockbuster against Carlton at the MCG.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8631562

Ox

« Reply #1449 on: March 25, 2013, 02:51:27 AM »
stuff u gary lyon,

The secret is out.

You better STFU,Bhundi boy.

ps - call the tax department too

Ox

« Reply #1450 on: March 25, 2013, 04:01:35 AM »
LMAO

Cant say snow

roflmao

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1451 on: March 27, 2013, 09:57:05 PM »
The man behind the mask

Date March 28, 2013
Emma Quayle
Football writer with The Age

Dustin Martin is not the only person at Richmond looking forward to the football season starting, and the 21-year-old spending the next five (or more …) months doing the thing he knows best and loves the most. No one at the club has bothered counting the number of media calls it has taken over summer, but they could count on one hand the times their No.4 hasn't been asked after, in one way or another.

People are fascinated with Martin. It's probably what happens when you make such a bold, adventurous debut, show up for your second season with neck tattoos and get in trouble for taking a sleeping pill and missing a training session. Look around the Tigers' cheer squad during the Carlton game: if the people behind the Tiger Tatts website have done their job there will be replicas everywhere.

They love him, yet so many people seem so determined to cut him down. It wasn't only the number of untrue rumours that were rehashed on social media every second week throughout summer that was disturbing, but the delight people seemed to take in them. It was almost as if people were barracking for them to be true, for him to meet some sort of crashing end, the more blazing the better.

Why? Richmond has had some genuine and serious concerns for Martin, the company he keeps and the things he does or doesn't do while away from the structure and sense of purpose that a training schedule gives him. The club's been honest about that. But rather than wanting him to fail, why aren't we celebrating what he is actually achieving in his life?

Martin has had very little handed to him. Not that he'd tell anyone. In the two years before he was drafted he lived with his mother in Castlemaine, having dropped out of school two years earlier. He moved to Sydney's western suburbs and worked long days for his father's transport company.

He came back, started playing for the Bendigo Pioneers, took up a personal training course and moved in with one of his teammates and his mother. Somehow he got himself drafted at No.3 that year. Almost immediately, he was in the Richmond team.

He's growing up in front of everyone, and there's no way he would be doing it at the Tigers if they didn't love him as a person. His teammates talk about the same things: his extreme shyness, how he's almost introverted. How he loves to be around people in spite of this. How he wants to do things right and follow the people around him, but can get directionless and follow the wrong people, if they're the ones around. The tattoos have been misleading: they are to acknowledge his Maori heritage, not to make him look tough.

The other thing they know is he is genuine. That, while other players have been caught out trying to find ways around the rules, his mistakes are just that, errors he doesn't realise he's making. How he needs direction, but it won't help to give him too much. ''We can't tell him who to hang out with, he needs to decide that for himself, but it's hard,'' said one player.

Martin lived for a few weeks over summer with Trent Cotchin, who can read people and their motivation with insight far beyond his 22 years. He wouldn't have invited him in if he thought Martin didn't care. Martin has become close with Mark Williams, who recently sent him home from a family dinner with a baked cake. The next day, Martin wanted to know what sort of cake he liked, so that he could return the favour. He has started working one day a week for Linfox, learning more about the transport industry, having something new to do. He's said things that have made it clear how grateful he is to know that so many people want to help him be good.

They're sure he will be, and it says a lot about Richmond that it has got him to a point where the club is now being asked about his improved endurance, his even greater power, the way he has been dominating training sessions.

Martin is only 21. He deserves credit for what he's done, and encouragement for what he could still achieve from here.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-man-behind-the-mask-20130327-2guq7.html#ixzz2OjixitzN

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1452 on: March 27, 2013, 10:02:29 PM »
Excellent piece by Emma Quayle she is an outstanding writer

They love him, yet so many people seem so determined to cut him down. It wasn't only the number of untrue rumours that were rehashed on social media every second week throughout summer that was disturbing, but the delight people seemed to take in them. It was almost as if people were barracking for them to be true, for him to meet some sort of crashing end, the more blazing the better.

Never has a truer word been written. It was disgusting how so many people seemed to want the rumours to be true

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1453 on: March 27, 2013, 10:07:52 PM »
Finally a genuine, honest and positive story about Dusty without any over dramatization regarding his potential or off field behaviour.

He's just a kid with talent.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1454 on: March 27, 2013, 10:10:34 PM »
More than anything it offers perspective for change  :clapping