Author Topic: Should we have taken Franklin?  (Read 4087 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Should we have taken Franklin?
« on: January 07, 2006, 11:15:32 AM »
Although Tambling was a good pickup at 4 (I rated him as the 2nd pick in that draft), i'm starting to wonder if Miller and co. will be regretting passing on Franklin at pick 4. I know that Tambling (unlike Franklin) has had an injury-interrupted year so we haven't been able to see his full potential whereas we have been able to see Franklins potential. Although there are question marks over Franklins positions as he appears to be a flanker type. I see no reason why he can't be a CHF, because IMO he and Riewoldt are similar in their style of play, and Riewoldt is holding down CHF in one of the most talented lists in the AFL!

Sure we needed Tambling's pace and midfield talent, but Franklin could have (potentially) been our next 10+ years class CHF to succeed Richo.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Should we have taken Franklin?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 11:39:53 AM »
Franklin is too enigma for my liking, the raw talent is definetly there, but is the mental application and work-ethic?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 01:06:23 PM »
Franklin is an exciting player. Definitely a flanker/wingman, from what I've seen of him anyway.
I don't recall him taking a pack mark at all. For some reason I think of him as a tall version of Greg Tivendale from a couple of years ago. A good player but I don't reckon he'll be a CHF as long as his bum points to the ground.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 03:56:16 PM »
IMO - yes, we should have taken Franklin at 4.

Whilst I don't think he will ever be a powerful, beast like CHF, at best he will develop into a Nick Riewoldt type new age key forward.
Likly he will end up being a Adam Goodes type flanker/wingman or even a Jeff White type ruck.

The Greg Tivendale comparison is laughable and bitter.

Franklin is a cracking prospect. Tambling would want to be a very good player to justify taking him @ 4 allowing Franklin to be picked up @ 5. Sadly I fear another Fiora/Palvich situation.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 06:24:30 PM »

I thought the "couple of years ago" bit would have made it self-explanatory that I meant when Tivendale was playing well. And, he was playing well.
Speaking of bitter, perhaps Tambling should don gold and brown vertical stripes for a while so you can talk him up. :)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 06:56:28 PM »
No Franklin for me. Talent yes but he seems to go missing a lot. In the round 21 game of 2005 when the crucnh wa son Tiges coming back and Hawls needing to hold - he seemed IMO to go missing - didn't chase a few times when he needed to. What I mean there is he got a bit of the sulks when he didn't get a couple of frees and he stopped rather than going in for the second efforts.

Tambling - will be very very good  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 07:06:34 PM »
No Franklin for me. Talent yes but he seems to go missing a lot. In the round 21 game of 2005 when the crucnh wa son Tiges coming back and Hawls needing to hold - he seemed IMO to go missing - didn't chase a few times when he needed to. What I mean there is he got a bit of the sulks when he didn't get a couple of frees and he stopped rather than going in for the second efforts.

Tambling - will be very very good  :thumbsup

I agree 'Buddy' seems to have workrate/attitude problems at current but you need to be abit aroggant to be the very best. Im sure we'd carry that kind of attitude (Limbach?) if it came with such raw talent.

I also remember being at the games against Hawthorn this season and his pace, goals got the crowd to its feet.

I hope bling is very very good.

I thought the "couple of years ago" bit would have made it self-explanatory that I meant when Tivendale was playing well. And, he was playing well.
Speaking of bitter, perhaps Tambling should don gold and brown vertical stripes for a while so you can talk him up. :)

Greg Tivendale comapred to Franklin; past, present or future is just silly. IMO Tivvers has played few good games and always has been a below average footballer.

I think Tambling will be good. I just fear Franklin will be better and more - sutied our needs better than a small winger/forward pocket.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 07:07:01 PM »
As long as we get Thorp next year, i won't mind that we passed on Franklin @ 4

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 07:10:46 PM »

Good year to tank next year me thinks.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 07:15:40 PM »

Definitely, but i hope RFC doesn't go down that path because IMO it is no good for club culture

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 07:17:44 PM »

Definitely, but i hope RFC doesn't go down that path because IMO it is no good for club culture

I ment in terms of the 2006 draft is sposed to be outstanding.

Been a few whispers for 2/3 years now that its a ripper.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 07:21:41 PM »
Recruiters will be drooling with talents like Gibbs, Thorp, Hansen, Selwood and Sellar running around  :thumbsup

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 07:27:01 PM »
Recruiters will be drooling with talents like Gibbs, Thorp, Hansen, Selwood and Sellar running around  :thumbsup

Indeed.

Myself - I have only heard of these lads via people like yourself and not had the honour it seems of watching them myself. If we had pick 1 (at the present) and had to use it now, who would you most like us to pick up?

I notice you said Thorp but Gibbs is sposed to be a freak.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 07:34:59 PM »

Indeed.

Myself - I have only heard of these lads via people like yourself and not had the honour it seems of watching them myself. If we had pick 1 (at the present) and had to use it now, who would you most like us to pick up?

I notice you said Thorp but Gibbs is sposed to be a freak.

CB i haven't seen Gibbs play much, but i've seen plenty of Thorp. IMO Gibbs would be the standout talent, apparently he is now not only a midfield prospect but a KPP prospect. But if i had pick 1 it would definitely be used on Thorp, can play all FB and FF, is going to be an absolute gun of the future IMO!

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 07:39:34 PM »
CB, if you wanna know more about next years prospects maybe you should ask Ramps, i think he is better informed about them than me