Author Topic: Best NON richmond games you have seen?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Best NON richmond games you have seen?
« on: January 11, 2006, 03:29:28 AM »
What's the best NON richmond games you guys have enjoyed?

One for me was in the late 80's (might have been 89) at Princes Park between Hawthorn and Geelong where there was something like around 50 goals kicked between them in a shootout with Ablett and Dunstall as the respective FFs. The Cats got away to a big lead in the first half before a second half comeback from the Hawks pinched the win late on in similar fashion to what we've done to them a couple of times in the past 3 years.

More recently the 2002 GF. Anytime the Pies lose a GF narrowly and blame one single umpire's decision for it is always fun to watch  ;D.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

Re: Best NON richmond games you have seen?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 09:04:09 AM »
Probably the 1989 Grand Fiinal - Hawkers v Cats - was like Days of our Lives - so many twists and turns.  Brereton going down  :clapping, Ablett, Dippa.  Fantastic match and i had a great view on the wing in the old Southern Stand.

Also liked an interstate game - Vic v SA (can't remember year) - pretty low scoring affair, and i think it ended with some Ablett brilliance kicking the ball over his head for a goal and we won.  I think - can't remember much about it, just that i enjoyed it a lot.

Offline adelaidetigerfan

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 09:31:01 AM »
2 GAMES COME TO MIND
1) 1989 GRAND FINAL HAW V GEEL
2) 1997 PRELIMINARY FINAL ADEL V WB - DARREN JARMAN TURN AROUND IN LAST QUARTER

Moi

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 12:41:21 PM »
2) 1997 PRELIMINARY FINAL ADEL V WB - DARREN JARMAN TURN AROUND IN LAST QUARTER
I was at that game too.  I left in the third quarter (a bit bored because the Doggies were miles in front and i was suffering from the sun or something lol).  Didn't listen to it in the car on the way home and amazed when i got home that the Crows had got up.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 04:27:10 PM »
Also add the 94 PF b/w Geelong and North where Mick Martyn had held Ablett all day only for a quick snap from the boundary line to float over his head and straight into Ablett's arms for the winning goal after the final siren.

Also liked an interstate game - Vic v SA (can't remember year) - pretty low scoring affair, and i think it ended with some Ablett brilliance kicking the ball over his head for a goal and we won.  I think - can't remember much about it, just that i enjoyed it a lot.

Yep one of most unbelievable goals ever! Ablett kicked that over his head right by the point post and it floated straight through the middle landing on the other side of the goal line dead centre :o.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 05:01:35 PM »
Sydney vs Bummers at the SCG in 97.

1st date with my future wife in the pouring rain, and with Paul Kelly playing an inspiration blinder to kick 2 in the last 5 minutes for the Swannies to get up by less than a goal.

Still feel privileged to have seen Paul Kelly at his best.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 07:20:05 PM »
I remember going to a Essendon -v- Bulldogs back in 2000. Only game the Bombers lost that year. But gee the Bulldogs played smart footy
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 07:37:22 PM »
Off the top of head head

- Last years GF
 - When the Doggies beat Essendon in 2000 - invention of the flood
 - Carlton/Collingwood (Semi final?) when Brown tackled Welmann to save the game, brillant. '99 I think.

I hate Essendon as you can see. Im sure there'd be many stand outs if I gave it a good think.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 02:26:52 AM »
I remember going to a Essendon -v- Bulldogs back in 2000. Only game the Bombers lost that year. But gee the Bulldogs played smart footy

They must have had a smart coach  ;D.