Author Topic: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]  (Read 73219 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]
« Reply #540 on: July 18, 2023, 04:03:54 PM »
Its not just the role, what most are ignoring is the lack of polish is there a bigger fumbling small fwd in the game atm.
Its this lack of polish that has me thinking he won't make it.

To look for a good example of an all round small fwd look no further than the name Rioli. In this case Cyril.
He was not a huge goal kicker but he kicked enough to keep defenders more than honest and he sure had running defenders looking over their shoulders, he not only applied pressure he consistently laid big tackles to go with it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #541 on: July 20, 2023, 04:47:47 AM »
Young Tiger finds out 'football is an emotional game'

Andy Krakouer's heartfelt message to Maurice Rioli Jr. after the young Tiger's strong reaction to being subbed out

WATCH HERE: https://www.afl.com.au/video/982406/yokayi-footy-e19-finals-race-unpacked-andy-s-advice-for-tiger

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #542 on: July 20, 2023, 11:46:14 AM »
Its not just the role, what most are ignoring is the lack of polish is there a bigger fumbling small fwd in the game atm.

no there isnt, is well out on his own in that regard

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #543 on: July 20, 2023, 11:53:13 AM »
Serious question
If a Noah Cumberland refused to take the call
What would the reactions be?
Is there a difference in how this is being handled in the media because he’s a young aboriginal/indigenous/first owner or whatever I should say to not offend anyone .. I would suggest the media would be a lot tougher on a white kid

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #544 on: July 20, 2023, 11:59:57 AM »
Serious question
If a Noah Cumberland refused to take the call
What would the reactions be?
Is there a difference in how this is being handled in the media because he’s a young aboriginal/indigenous/first owner or whatever I should say to not offend anyone .. I would suggest the media would be a lot tougher on a white kid

100% They would as would a few on here :shh :shh

also i wonder if he would have done that to Dimma? I suspect NO.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline HKTigerB

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #545 on: July 20, 2023, 01:52:07 PM »
Except he took the call.  Footage about 15 seconds later shows him on the phone.  Selective editing/cutaway creates an issue.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #546 on: July 20, 2023, 02:25:07 PM »
Was petulant initially regardless. Probably took it after Maric smashed him over the head with the phone
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #547 on: July 20, 2023, 03:07:26 PM »
RIOLI JR APOLOGISES TO MCQUALTER OVER A COFFEE AFTER REFUSING COACHES’ BOX CALL

Lachlan Geleit
SEN
20 July 2023

Richmond coach Andrew McQualter caught up with Maurice Rioli Jr after the small forward expressed his displeasure after being subbed out of Sunday’s win against West Coast.

Footage of Rioli Jr caught the attention of fans after he refused to take a phone call from the coaches’ box after being taken out of the game during early in the fourth quarter.

While the 20-year-old was frustrated in the moment, McQualter said Rioli Jr apologised on Monday over a coffee with the coach describing the incident as “not a big deal”.

“I caught up with Maurice for a coffee the next day,” McQualter told reporters.

“We just spoke through it and he's a young kid trying to make his way.

“I think I said it after the game. I understand that he was disappointed.

“We spoke the next day and he apologised and said his behaviour on the bench, he could have done it better, but we move on.

“It's not a big deal.”

McQualter was asked whether Rioli Jr will keep his spot in the side after he was taken out of the game with six disposals to his name.

While the Tigers caretaker refused to guarantee his selection, he did admit that he loved the passion the youngster showed even though it may not have come across in the right way.

“Again, we haven't trained yet, so we'll train this morning and do our match committee this arvo,” McQualter said.

“I think everyone loved that (his passion), right?

“Like we spoke about, you know, the fact that he cared and he's passionate and wants to make it and wants to do well for our team.

“You’ve got to love that part of him.”

The father-son draftee has played 25 games for the Tigers since making his debut in 2021.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/07/20/rioli-jr-apologises-to-mcqualter-over-a-coffee-after-refusing-coaches-box/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #548 on: July 20, 2023, 04:38:12 PM »
Rioli's coach snub not a droppable offence, Lions great says

By Martin Smith
afl.com.au
20 July 2023

BRISBANE legend Chris Johnson says Maurice Rioli jnr should not be dropped for his boundary-line refusal to accept a phone call from his coaches last Sunday as Andrew McQualter revealed the young Tiger has apologised to the senior coach for his behaviour.

The incident drew criticism from Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd, who told Access All Areas it "wouldn't sit well" at the club and that Rioli had "made it about himself".

Former Richmond forward Andrew Krakouer agreed Rioli's actions were "not a great look", but empathised with the young forward and believes he will be better for the experience.

"There's been times I didn't want to talk to the coach when I'd been dragged or come to the bench," Krakouer told Yokayi Footy.

"Everyone is quick to jump on the young man's back, but we've got to understand he is just a young man. AFL footy is an emotional sport, you've got to be able to ride the waves and ride the ups and downs. I know it's not a great look, but you've got to take these other factors into account.

"They'll understand and think, 'If you had your time again, obviously you'd grab the phone'. But you've just got to look at it as a learning curve. This is a point in time where you're going to be able to learn and be able to control his emotions going forward."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/982507/rioli-s-coach-snub-not-a-droppable-offence-lions-great-says

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #549 on: July 20, 2023, 04:45:54 PM »
Chris is correct, it isnt if he has runs on the board. MRJ has no runs on the board except his name.

He shouldn't get dropped so lets see what he brings in the next month, but especially against the tougher opponents.

Offline PoppyTige

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #550 on: July 20, 2023, 06:24:34 PM »
He shouldn't get dropped...
[Ron Howard 'Arrested Development' voice] He was dropped.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #551 on: July 20, 2023, 06:33:50 PM »
Dropped because he's going about as good as my grandma. Not because he didnt answer a phone call

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #552 on: July 20, 2023, 07:49:09 PM »
He was sub off which usually means your not in the best
The refusal is just an added cross.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #553 on: July 20, 2023, 08:02:13 PM »
didnt think they would, but rightly dropped. As damo said he is dropped because he is playing garbage no matter what anyone says.

Really glad mcqualter had the balls to do it.  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #554 on: July 20, 2023, 10:27:11 PM »
Jack Riewoldt says Maurice Rioli Jr is 'just a young kid who gives a crap about his career.'

WATCH HERE: https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1681967803253784577

----------------------------------------------------------------

‘Kid who gives a crap’: Tigers champ’s defence of young gun’s ‘blown up’ incident

Fox Sports
July 20th, 2023 8:54 pm

Richmond champion Jack Riewoldt has come to the defence of teammate Maurice Rioli Jr after bench incident, saying it’s been “blown up” and emphasising that footy is a “raw and emotional game.”

Tigers caretaker coach Andrew McQualter revealed Rioli apologised to him after the small forward waved away a phone call from him on the interchange after the youngster was subbed out of the club’s win over West Coast in vision that got the footy world talking.

Rioli has now been dropped for Richmond’s must-win clash against Hawthorn in its bid to keep its finals hopes alive, however Riewoldt insists it has nothing to do with the 20-year old’s phone call rejection.

And the three-time premiership Tiger empathised for Rioli over his act of “built up frustration”.

“I think Andrew McQualter’s a fantastic person to have the conversation with Maurice, because he’s lived the sub role and been dropped as a player and had to go through that journey,” Riewoldt said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360 Plus.

“It’s obviously an emotional time and you know when you’re not playing great footy. There is a little bit of the cloud of the sub that comes over your head.

“Unfortunately for Maurice, he didn’t have a great game on the weekend and there’s a built up frustration.”

Riewoldt has his historical own act of defiance when he infamously — and bizarrely— crawled up the stairs during the Tiger’s clash with St Kilda in 2011 after being concussed in the first quarter in a bid to re-enter the game.

The three-time Coleman medallist reiterated how emotion can sometimes can take over.

“I’m probably nearly one of the best people to talk about that because I had an incident — granted, it was after a head knock — where I sort of made a fool out of myself out on the bench and it’s been played to me every now and then,” Riewoldt added.

“But footy is a raw and emotional game. Yes, we would love for everyone to act in what we would deem an appropriate manner on the bench in all minutes of the game.

“Things just boil over. He’s a young kid who gives a crap about his career and gives a crap how he’s playing.

“Unfortunately that’s been blown up I think, the fact that it’s the last game of the week and all eyes are on it ... we learn, we move on and we grow.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-2023-jack-riewoldt-on-maurice-rioli-bench-snub-of-phone-call-to-andrew-mcqualter-video-reaction-response-latest-news/news-story/9cd5cfcf6c402f4f9ec0d21bd9008ecb