Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 906156 times)

tony_montana

Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #3510 on: June 03, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »
He's looking slow though. Seeing him get pinged for holding the ball more times this year than ever before.

Perhaps bc he's working harder and therefore more fatigued?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3511 on: June 03, 2014, 12:51:33 PM »
Anyone hear those comments from Hinkley a few weeks ago regarding Wingard wanting to come off the ground during the showdown and Hinkley making him stay on? Said something along the lines of Wingard too easily showing his tiredness and wanting to make hi, learn about playing through & really busting a gut and what level of effort was required at AFL level.

I wonder if Hardwick was listening as I noticed on Saturday night Martin -who seemingly gets rotated every 5 minutes- running towards the interchange after kicking a goal, expecting to come off and being sent back, looking quite stunned & bemused, almost as if he was suffering from culture shock.

It's all about the standards you create and the standards you accept.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3512 on: June 03, 2014, 12:53:03 PM »
Gets a lot of wraps for his offensive work but doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.
One way footballer with a poor work ethic who we should look to trade for something better and I don't care if he's leading the JDM or not.
You can count on two fingers the number of AFL standard players we have on our list and Martin is one of them but you want to trade him ? LMFAO Congratulations on winning ' dumbass post of the year award '
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3513 on: June 03, 2014, 12:55:48 PM »
Gets a lot of wraps for his offensive work but doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.
One way footballer with a poor work ethic who we should look to trade for something better and I don't care if he's leading the JDM or not.
You can count on two fingers the number of AFL standard players we have on our list and Martin is one of them but you want to trade him ? LMFAO Congratulations on winning ' dumbass post of the year award '

+1

If anything our basic strategy for next year's draft should be "more kids similar to Dustin Martin onfield". (well that and pace anyway)
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3514 on: June 03, 2014, 01:32:30 PM »
He's looking slow though. Seeing him get pinged for holding the ball more times this year than ever before.

I've noticed that too. I don't think it's a pace thing though. In all fairness there are a number of times he'll get a handball receive when there is an opponent(s) <3m from him. What is something he needs to work on is that I do see him go for the don't argue instinctively (like against Joel Selwood) and it's not always the best choice. He doesn't have the vision Scott Pendlebury does in high traffic but I much rather him at least run and try to take the game on when there is no other option than to bomb it forward blindly.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3515 on: June 03, 2014, 02:01:17 PM »

that would be because he is getting his own ball this year & is playing great football. You will see every player get nail who gets leather poisoning  ;D

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3516 on: June 03, 2014, 05:34:50 PM »
His recent form has been very good.

tony_montana

« Reply #3517 on: June 03, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »
Anyone hear those comments from Hinkley a few weeks ago regarding Wingard wanting to come off the ground during the showdown and Hinkley making him stay on? Said something along the lines of Wingard too easily showing his tiredness and wanting to make hi, learn about playing through & really busting a gut and what level of effort was required at AFL level.

I wonder if Hardwick was listening as I noticed on Saturday night Martin -who seemingly gets rotated every 5 minutes- running towards the interchange after kicking a goal, expecting to come off and being sent back, looking quite stunned & bemused, almost as if he was suffering from culture shock.

It's all about the standards you create and the standards you accept.

I did hear hinkley say that and I saw that incident with martin last week too against GWS

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3518 on: June 03, 2014, 05:53:24 PM »
His disposal is still very ordinary
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #3519 on: June 03, 2014, 07:26:37 PM »
I just remember that breakout game against Nought in 2011 and what we have now.
Whilst I recognise that raw talent we had then was not going to be the same player now there is no flair in his play either and someone who is inclined to have flair and brilliance should not be stifled.
All we have now is a solid citizen of a footballer and as someone said the other night he was a clearance machine a few years back now he's a handball receive machine which whilst not 100% right it does happen regularly in games.

Back then he was a could be anything footballer and the sky was the limit I just think the coaching gameplan or whatever have just stifled his bullishness, creativity and brilliance much to the detriment of player and RFC.

The way he's playing show he's got an appetite for the game but clearly to me from my vantage point he has been told to curb his aggressiveness.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3520 on: June 08, 2014, 11:25:40 PM »
3. Dusty's first-half masterclass

There would be few in the league who boast the same skillset as Richmond's Dustin Martin and it was a pleasure to watch him put it all on show in the first half against the Kangaroos. The 22-year-old kicked four goals to go along with 19 first-half possession as he almost singlehandedly propelled his side to a 35-point half-time lead. The star Tiger was quieted a little in the second half as the Roos took charge of the game, but he was still his side's best player as he finished with 28 disposals and four goals. In a disappointing year for Richmond, Martin's performances have been something for suffering Tigers fans to applaud.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-08/five-talking-points-north-melbourne-v-richmond

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3521 on: June 08, 2014, 11:46:11 PM »
Absolute star. Thank stuff he didn't leave!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3522 on: June 08, 2014, 11:48:12 PM »
The bad things he does in games are so costly
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3523 on: June 08, 2014, 11:50:34 PM »
Only bloke doing anything either end of the ground. That's why his mistakes looked so costly IMO.

Mile ahead of the pack tonight.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #3524 on: June 09, 2014, 01:43:32 AM »
That first half was as best a half I've seen from a mid/forward type player all year. :thumbsup