Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 902585 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5100 on: January 15, 2021, 01:29:05 PM »
If we're talking finals then it would be Martin, Johnson, Ayers -  KB '80 was the best singe finals series performance I saw until Martin '19 . . :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5101 on: January 15, 2021, 05:07:16 PM »
If we're talking finals then it would be Martin, Johnson, Ayers -  KB '80 was the best singe finals series performance I saw until Martin '19 . . :shh
I would also add Darren Jarman (when at Adelaide especially in 1997).

KB possibly would have more than one Norm Smith if they existed before 1979. Best in 1973 and would have been also in the running for 1969 along with Barrot and Sheedy. Barrot was BOG in 1967 and Sheedy was BOG in 1974.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5102 on: January 17, 2021, 12:01:10 PM »
Andy Mcleod.
Ablett’s ‘89 series was sublime with 27 goals but he didn’t do much after that in finals
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5103 on: January 17, 2021, 01:25:12 PM »
Neo Japanese style Dusty illustration

https://www.instagram.com/realizm_au/?hl=en

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5104 on: February 05, 2021, 03:29:34 PM »
Another slow news day.

AFL star Dustin Martin divides fans as he proudly shows off his VERY questionable footwear in an edgy mirror selfie

By Chloe-Lee Longhetti
Daily Mail Australia
5 February 2021

AFL star Dustin Martin showed off his edgy and eclectic style on Thursday.

The 29-year-old posed up for a mirror selfie in his walk-in wardrobe and modelled his outfit for the day.

But his post quickly divided fans, thanks to his rather bizarre choice of footwear.

What do YOU think? AFL star Dustin Martin divided fans on Thursday when he proudly showed off his VERY questionable footwear in an edgy mirror selfie

The Richmond Tigers star was wearing a pair of white socks paired with white thongs and the bizarre combination caused a stir among his followers.

'No Dusty, no! Thongs and socks! No!!!!!' one remarked.

'But socks with sandals???' another said, while one user added, 'WTF?' 

Just no: The Richmond Tigers star was wearing a pair of white socks paired with white thongs and the bizarre combination caused a stir among his followers

But one user loved the look, remarking: 'Bringing back socks and thongs,' adding the '100' emoji.

'Comfy szn (sic),' Dustin wrote as he promoted his new partnership with the footwear brand, Archies Footwear.

'They have heaps of cool colours and are super comfortable, but most of all they are really good for your body,' he added.

The brand is known for their 'arch support' thongs.

Dustin is one of the most prolific players in the AFL.

Hailing from Castlemaine in Victoria, Dustin made his big AFL debut in 2010 and has won three premierships with the Tigers. He also won the Brownlow Medal in 2017.

He made headlines in 2019 when he famously ditched his car at the Melbourne Cricket Ground car park for 65 days while celebrating Richmond's 2019 grand final win.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9225317/Dustin-Martin-divides-fans-proudly-shows-questionable-footwear.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty showing no signs of slowing down after outstanding preseason (Australian)
« Reply #5105 on: February 08, 2021, 08:32:09 PM »
Dustin Martin showing no signs of slowing down after enjoying another outstanding pre-season

By JAY CLARK
NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA
FEBRUARY 8, 2021

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin will start the season in excellent condition after showing on the training track this summer he was hungry for more success.

And even as Martin prepares to turn 30 this year, Burge said the champion ballwinner had enjoyed another outstanding pre-season campaign and was showing no signs of slowing down.

“He’s been pretty impressive, ‘Dusty’,” Burge said.

“He would hate for me to be talking him up, but for someone who has achieved so much in the past few years you could excuse someone maybe for just taking their foot off the pedal.

“But he has done the opposite.

“He doesn’t miss training, he is always looking to do more, and he’s just really impressive.”

Martin, 29, cemented his reputation as one of the greatest big game players in AFL history in the Tigers’ third premiership win in four years, taking out his third Norm Smith Medal.

Burge said even after a decent session on Monday at Punt Rd Oval, Martin was keen to do more.

“He asked me afterwards if he could do a (extra) fartlek (interval running) session,” Burge said.

“I said ‘Mate you don’t need to do it today, you’ve got a pretty heavy session coming up’, but quite often he will do something anyway because he likes to maintain that high standard.

“He’s older and he’s more mature and he really enjoys being around his teammates given COVID and all of the restrictions.

“He gets a real lift coming in to the club and training. It’s his outlet and he loves it.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2021-dustin-martin-showing-no-signs-of-slowing-down-after-enjoying-another-outstanding-preseason/news-story/637ea413eb17dfab6a494fbd091266a7

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5106 on: February 09, 2021, 11:28:19 PM »
Andy Mcleod.
Ablett’s ‘89 series was sublime with 27 goals but he didn’t do much after that in finals
Lol so his 16 goals averaging 4.0 a game in 92 and 16 goals in 94 averaging 4.0 a game is just to be ignored yep Ablett was a real spud.
In his 16 finals games he played in he averaged 4.0 a game.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 11:46:51 PM by the claw »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #5107 on: February 10, 2021, 12:23:57 AM »
Yeah forgot about Senior - was sticking with blokes who won flags, his '89 series was probably third best behind Dusty '19 & KB '80 and only just because the team didn't get the chocolates in the end...his other finals series were pretty damn awesome too if you don't include the GFs.. :shh

Thought Jarman should've won the Norm Smith in '97... :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5108 on: February 10, 2021, 12:24:47 PM »
Andy Mcleod.
Lol so his 16 goals averaging 4.0 a game in 92 and 16 goals in 94 averaging 4.0 a game is just to be ignored yep Ablett was a real spud.

He kicked 27 goals in the 1989 finals series and another 37 across all other finals campaigns. I think my point still stands.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #5109 on: February 10, 2021, 01:09:23 PM »
Andy Mcleod.
All that for how many flags?
He may have kicked goals but did he truly influence games the way Dusty does?

He kicked 27 goals in the 1989 finals series and another 37 across all other finals campaigns. I think my point still stands.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5110 on: February 10, 2021, 01:15:21 PM »
He was generally ineffective in finals (or GF’s) that were on the line. Even his 4 goal effort to get them into the ‘94 GF. He virtually didn’t touch the ball outside of those 4 kicks.
If GA Senior was a Tiger player- he would call him a down skill skier that crumbled under the pressure when it mattered .... in big finals and Granny’s

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5111 on: February 10, 2021, 03:04:08 PM »
Andy Mcleod.
What point, that you are totally blinkered when it comes to opposition players.

Take out 89 he still averaged 4 goals a game in finals.

Take out his high of 9 in the 89 g/f and his low of 0 in the 91 e/f and he still averages 4 goals a game. but apparently in your book he was no good that is freakin hilarious.

Here is a bit of perspective for ya. Our very own Jack Riewoldt has played 15 finals for 30 goals at an average of 2.

Talk about a blinkered one eyed feral. What is the point in even debating opposition players if you think Ablett was a spud they all must be duds except our own .

Take out the 89 finals he still averages 3.1 goals a game in finals. i think every single coach in the comp would take that in a heartbeat.
Take out his best haul of 9 goals in 89 g/f and his worst game 0 goals in the 91 e/f and he still averages 4 goals a final

Heres a bit of perspective for ya. Our own Jack Riewoldt has played in 15 finals for a whopping 30 goals averaging two goals a game that must make him a super dud by your thinking. Fmd Ablett almost kicked that amount in one  go but hey hes an overrated dud according to you.

Ablett averaged more goals a game in finals than Carey, Dunstall and Lockett lockett also kicked 9 in a final in 91.

Sometimes as supporters id suggest we take the blinkers off.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
This is real and actually scary: Why Dusty could be even better in 2021 (afl)
« Reply #5112 on: February 21, 2021, 04:43:20 PM »
This is real and actually scary: Why Dusty could be even better in 2021

If you think the Richmond gun is satisfied with an already stacked CV, think again

By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
21 February 2021

Not content with a brilliant four-season era that has seen him clinch three premierships, a historic three Norm Smith Medals, a Brownlow Medal and three All-Australian jumpers, the Richmond superstar is intent on getting even better after what coach Damien Hardwick describes as an "incredible" pre-season.

But the Tigers do have two injury concerns heading into the home and away season, with key players Bachar Houli (calf) set to miss round one and Dion Prestia (hamstring) racing the clock to face Carlton on March 18.

Martin, though, is on track to continue his outstanding stint as the competition's preeminent matchwinner, with Hardwick saying he had blitzed the pre-season with a focus on improving his fitness. 

"I'm worried he's too far ahead. He's training that well at the moment. He's been incredible," Hardwick told AFL.com.au.

"He's one of these guys who surprises me every year, Dustin. You generally think of the superstars of the competition that they come in and they do what they do, but there's a reason they're superstars.

"They generally work harder and are better at things that other players aren't, and he tries to improve one part of his game every year. This year I think he's taken on some noticeable improvement in his fitness. He's trying to improve that part of his game and he's training really, really well at the moment.

"I couldn't be happier with where he's at. Like I said, I'm worried he's too far ahead of the game. I've got to slow him down a little bit because he's his own worst enemy with how he works."

Martin booted four goals in a game-changing display in last year's Toyota AFL Grand Final win over Geelong, tallying 22 for the season, and will continue to float between the midfield and forward line this season, according to Hardwick.

"Dustin is the best coach of himself. He knows where the team needs him at certain times of the game and where he's of best benefit and we give him that licence, as we do the majority of our players. On the ground they get to make the decisions," Hardwick said.

The 29-year-old Martin is due to play his 250th game for the Tigers early this season and has played 20 or more games in each of his 11 AFL seasons. But Hardwick said he had no trouble motivating Martin, whose mega contract runs to the end of 2024, to go again.

"He loves the game. I hate saying this, but he loves winning. I've never met a guy that loves winning so much. After every game it's always like he's won the Grand Final. It's so impressive to see that the game can mean so much to one person," the three-time flag coach said.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/550654/can-dusty-get-even-better-superstar-primed-after-incredible-pre-season

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5113 on: February 21, 2021, 07:47:43 PM »
American NFL fan reacting to a "Decade of Dusty" highlights package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSddvvyU310

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Will Dustin Martin reach 400 games? (SEN)
« Reply #5114 on: February 27, 2021, 02:04:56 PM »
OVER/UNDER: Dustin Martin to play 400 games

Kane Cornes says: Under

“He’s going to go close, but I don’t think he’ll get to 400, Dusty. There’s four 400 game players in the history of the game.

“He’s 29, he’s got 244 games. If he plays for eight more years until he’s 38 (as his manager Ralph Carr suggested he could), that’s 20 games a year, we’ll give him a couple off for injury, it’s borderline.

“I don’t think Dusty will get there, but perhaps 375 games will be a good number for what is going to be an unbelievable career.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/02/26/kanes-over-unders-north-melbourne-adam-saad-tony-jones-and-more/