Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 906594 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5670 on: June 11, 2022, 09:53:18 PM »
I lost my mum 3 months ago and I too just turn up  for work , but my head and heart aren’t in it that’s for sure.

Take care Gigantor, it's a tough time but in time things do get better
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5671 on: June 12, 2022, 04:34:30 AM »
Dustin Martin has become just the 12th player in Richmond’s history to reach the 300-goal milestone.

The list of Tigerland’s top 12 goalkickers is:

1.    Jack Titus – 970
2.    Matthew Richardson – 800
3.    Kevin Bartlett – 778
4.    Jack Riewoldt – 737
5.    Michael Roach – 607
6.    Dick Harris – 548
7.    Jack Dyer – 443
8.    Royce Hart – 369
9.    Ray Poulter – 351
10.    Dale Weightman – 344
11.    Jeff Hogg – 306
12.    Dustin Martin – 300

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1147031/dusty-joins-elite-tiger-goalkicking-group

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5672 on: June 12, 2022, 08:55:58 AM »
where is he at?

Personally, I reckon he is where someone who is grieving sometimes find themselves

Doing the best they can while still learning to live without a significant person in their life

Having been there myself people shouldn't think just because you are back to doing "normal" things, back to your day to day life the pain suddenly disappear. I would go to work, do my job as best I could but wasn't as invested as I needed to be. It took time but I got back there.

I am not trying to come across as some expert but I remember what I went through when I lost my Mum. She was the single biggest influence in my life and suddenly she was gone. It almost broke me. It took me close to 12 months to get through it.

Yes he's not at his best but considering he missed 6 odd weeks, he has had to deal with HUN printing more stories about his Dad in the last month I reckon he's doing OK

May be true now, but his form has been inconsistent for over 12 months. He was declining before his injury although he still had some very elite games last year, which have now gone missing.

If you look back on some games last year it’s the same output as what we are seeing today although it’s very consistent now.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5673 on: June 13, 2022, 07:30:50 AM »
It’s not even fair to single out Port for this: in the same game, Dustin Martin copped a knee to the head from Jack Riewoldt, and looked worryingly dazed for a number of minutes before returning to the field.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/06/12/six-points-no-1-pick-needs-to-cut-the-dirty-play-out-now-and-why-the-bailey-smith-scandal-was-handled-perfectly/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5674 on: June 14, 2022, 06:23:20 AM »
Tigers superstar Martin battling illness

Oliver Caffrey
AAP
14 June 2022

AFL superstar Dustin Martin is doubtful for Richmond's blockbuster clash with Carlton as he battles illness.

The Tigers will be out for redemption against the Blues on Thursday night after losing to their rivals for the first time in nine years in round one at the MCG.

But Richmond might have to do it without their three-time Norm Smith medallist.

"He's got a bit of a lurgy at the moment," Tigers coach Damien Hardwick told Fox Footy's AFL 360.

"He didn't train (on Monday), he's not particularly well at the moment as there's a bit of flu going around.

"He's got a couple of days to get better, and hopefully with some medication he gets up and about.

"He's probably doubtful so we'll wait and see how he goes.

"He's a fair beast, Dustin, so a 30 per cent Dustin Martin is still probably better than most."

Martin has been back to his rampaging best since returning from a six-game stint on the sidelines due to personal leave.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-superstar-martin-battling-illness-c-7152027

FooffooValve

« Reply #5675 on: June 14, 2022, 02:19:51 PM »
Don't our blokes get a flu jab?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5676 on: June 14, 2022, 05:53:02 PM »
RICHMOND'S Dustin Martin is still ill and in doubt to face Carlton.

On Tuesday, Tom Lynch indicated the triple Norm Smith medallist was still touch-and-go to play.

"We're not too sure at this stage," Lynch told reporters on Tuesday.

"I think he's got the flu or whatever he's got. So he's a bit sick and hopefully, we'll see if he's in at the club tomorrow and if he trains he'll put his hand up.

"But if not, it's just one of those ones you've got to wait and see and most clubs have been through it at certain stages this season.

"So yeah, just wait and see with him and if he's right to play he'll play and if not he'll have to miss out."

Source: AFL website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond star Dustin Martin won’t play in MCG blockbuster against Carlton

Russell Gould
June 15, 2022 - 12:50PM
NCA NewsWire

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin has a “bad case” of the flu and won’t take on Carlton in Thursday’s blockbuster showdown but key forward Tom Lynch and Kane Lambert will.

Martin didn’t train with his teammates on Monday and was absent again on Wednesday morning as Richmond coach Damien Hardwick confirmed that Martin hadn’t recovered sufficiently enough from the “lurgy” that was keeping him away from the club.

It continues an interrupted season for Martin who has played just six of his team’s 12 games having taken an extended break following Richmond’s opening-round loss to the Blues before returning in round 8.

“He’s not very well the lad. He hasn’t trained all week, came down with it last weekend and hasn’t responded well,” Hardwick said on Wednesday.

“It’s going around at the moment and does knock people around.

“Some players respond to it better than others. Dustin unfortunately has a bad case.”

His absence comes just as Martin was working his way back to his best; Hardwick conceding the Brownlow medallist‘s offensive work had “lacked a bit of polish” in recent weeks.

“Defensively last week he was very good and we showed some clips of what he brings to the team when his defensive intent is such a high level,” Hardwick said.

“Offensively, he’d be the first to say his polish could be better, but he’s working his way back onto that. He’ll bounce back and be an important player.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-star-dustin-martin-wont-play-in-mcg-blockbuster-against-carlton/news-story/339aa6b2cd036e6ce89f1c65f21689a5

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5679 on: June 22, 2022, 01:49:23 PM »
Tiger ace Martin to return to AFL action

Steve Larkin
7 news
22 June 2022

Dustin Martin is set to return to AFL action for Richmond this week.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says there's some doubt about the output of Dustin Martin when he returns from illness for Saturday's AFL clash against Geelong.

The Tiger ace missed last week's win against Carlton because of a bad bout of 'flu which Hardwick says knocked Martin around.

"How he comes out, we're not too sure," Hardwick told reporters on Wednesday.

"But we're pretty confident it (Martin's best) is not too far away.

"What we have got to realise, the level of expectation on Dustin is incredibly high.

"The way he plays the game even at 60 per cent is far above probably most, to be fair.

"He has been playing his role. We have been winning games with him playing that rol. Just him being in the side is a bonus for us."

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/tiger-ace-martin-to-return-to-afl-action-c-7253219

-------------------

He has not rediscovered the form that made him close to the premier player in the league in 2017-20, but Hardwick said it remained a reasonable expectation of Martin, who turns 31 on Sunday.

“No question,” Hardwick said. “He’s a guy that, touch wood, has been very lucky injury-wise.

“He hasn’t had the pre-season that we would have liked obviously with the issues that he’s had but the fact of the matter is guys don’t forget how to play. They just need to start getting into a bit of a groove and we’ve got no question that’s not too far away.

A fit and firing Martin, currently playing predominantly as a forward, would send shudders through the league with Richmond still firmly in contention for fourth flag in six years. “The way he plays the game, even at 60 per cent, is far above probably most to be fair,” Hardwick said.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/no-question-hardwick-backs-in-martin-to-find-old-gold-20220622-p5avpe.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5680 on: June 24, 2022, 02:38:04 PM »
From Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:

IF ...
Dusty is back ...

THEN ...
the footy world is a better place. Even in this most difficult and interrupted season, still has the most must-watch qualities of any footballer.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/784418/if-port-fans-are-familiar-with-the-phrase-eight-point-game-then

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5681 on: June 25, 2022, 10:35:55 PM »
"Nobody does it better. The big moment man"

Dusty's goal: https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1540600170622005248

--------------------------------------------

Thoughts on Dusty's game?

19 disposals (12k, 7h, 9c, 11u, 47.4% eff.)
6 marks
2 tackles (1 in50 tackle)
3 clearances
2 inside 50s
2 intercepts
302 metres gained
6 score involvements
1 goal
2 behinds
90% time on ground

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5682 on: June 25, 2022, 10:41:12 PM »
One word. Putrid.

His last 12 months have been mostly garbage for a bloke on a million plus.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5683 on: June 25, 2022, 11:04:23 PM »
Missed targets in big moments, no longer has that explosiveness to bust tackles and penetrate by foot.
Needs to start taking first options as he’s getting caught with the ball a lot more when he burns a player in a better position.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5684 on: June 25, 2022, 11:11:25 PM »
One word. Putrid.

His last 12 months have been mostly garbage for a bloke on a million plus.

Ge. Ramps we agree on a fair bit.

But this is an ordinary take. Let's remember he is post 30. Coming off no pre season with kidney issues. The loss of his Dad. Apparent loss of love and desire for game. For someone who has given us everything we ever wanted.

You could make an argument he is welcome to do whatever the hell he wants and collect the rest of his contract playing in VFL. Not that I'm suggesting that but reckon this take is pretty rough.

Kicked a massive goal from boundary when we were absolutely gawn and down 35 points. Granted was well off the pace first qtr but so we're many of us. I'm happy to give him a fair bit of time.
Go Tigers!