Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 124082 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Marlion Pickett [merged]
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2019, 06:57:41 PM »
Pickett said he was still “pinching himself” after hearing the news.

“I didn’t think my debut would come around this early but it has, and I’ll take it with both hands,” he said.

“Wherever I do play, I’ll give it my all and leave everything out there.”

Watch here: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2019-09-26/pickett-selected-for-grand-final

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2019, 08:51:07 PM »
Pickett a redemption story made for Hollywood

Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
27 September 2019

Marlion Pickett’s astonishing journey from a Perth prison cell to an AFL Grand Final debut is the kind of story they turn into Hollywood movies.

AFL clubs just don’t throw footballers into that footy cauldron in finals on debut any more, let alone the biggest day on the AFL calendar.

Yet Pickett’s stunning rise from WAFL hopeful to best-afield in the VFL Grand Final has created Grand Final day’s most captivating story.

It would be brilliant if the only element was a debut on Grand Final day at the age of 27.

Yet the layers to this story make it beyond inspirational.

He will play on Grand Final day only seven years after being released from jail for a string of burglary offences.

He is on an AFL list only because the AFL’s new mid-season rookie rule brought in this year gave him a chance to realise his dream.

Stream the full or condensed replay of the 2019 Toyota AFL Grand Final on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

And the South Fremantle tyro will run out despite tearing a finger tendon only days before that mid-season draft as his manager Anthony Van Der Wielen frantically called in favours to get the best surgeons on the job.

Hollywood movie?

Might as well turn it into a ten-part Netflix series if Pickett can do what he always does.

Which is rise to the occasion and find a way to silence the doubters that have been there all the way along his journey.

Pickett isn’t just doing this himself after more than two years in jail, he is doing it for his partner Jessica and four children who have relocated to Melbourne along with him.

As Pickett told the Herald Sun only minutes after being drafted mid-season, it was the dramatic intervention of his brother in jail who set him on the right path.

“This means a lot for my family. Everything I do is for my kids and partner so they don’t have to worry about growing up like I did. Everything I do is for them,” he said.

“I have been out since 2012, so the first week I go out I walked into South Fremantle.

“I have been honest with clubs. The past is the past and I can’t change what I have done but I can change who I have become.

“(Jail) was hard but it was a learning curve. If I didn’t go in there I might have got into worse trouble.

“My older brother was in there and he gave me a talking to. He said you shouldn’t be in here, he gave me a little clip. (To play an AFL game) would mean a lot, to represent my kids and my partner.”

Pickett had only played two WAFL games this year given the initial finger tendon injury and the recurrence when the Tigers took the chance.

But Richmond had studied his form for years — including his slashing three-goal performance for South Fremantle in last year’s WAFL qualifying final.

As the minutes ticked down to the May 27 mid-season draft Van Der Wielen was petrified that the two interested clubs in Richmond and Essendon would go shy.

Yet as Richmond’s recruiting boss Matt Clarke said, Pickett had owned his story and long since repented.

Add his name to the list of reformation projects that include fellow WA indigenous talent Sydney Stack when no one else believed they were worthy.

His WAFL coach Todd Curley believes he will handle it like he has ever other challenge since walking into the South Fremantle football club on a mission to turn his life around.

His manager Van Der Wielen says of his playing style: “He hits as hard as Byron Pickett but he plays with a lot of grace”.

Richmond fans got to watch that on show in the VFL qualifying final when he took one of footy’s great marks, going back with the flight to mark while battered by a pack of players while seemingly closing his eyes.

Now he gets to do it on footy’s great stage with everything on the line.

After all he has achieved to get to the Tigers, don’t bet against him rising to the occasion one more time.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/marlion-picketts-journey-from-a-perth-prison-to-a-grand-final-debut-is-made-for-hollywood-writes-jon-ralph/news-story/fbeffc378db588be78cf60c9d83fef46

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2019, 09:13:53 PM »
Will Pickett follow Simpkin, King?

Tim Michell
Herald Sun
September 27, 2019

The last player to complete the VFL-AFL premiership double has urged Marlion Pickett to harness the faith Richmond has shown when he makes a remarkable AFL debut in Saturday’s grand final.

Ex-Hawthorn midfielder Jonathan Simpkin was a member of Box Hill and Hawthorn’s premiership teams in 2013, winning the Norm Goss Medal as the best player in the VFL decider before replacing an injured Brendan Whitecross for the AFL grand final.

Former Geelong ruckman Steven King also achieved the VFL-AFL double in 2007

Read more: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/marlion-pickett-in-frame-to-join-jonathan-simpkin-and-steven-king-with-vflafl-premiership-in-same-season/news-story/0a3749e8c64f68248497dcaaffa0f8c4

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2019, 09:46:27 PM »
Reeks of a desperate move. Hope it comes off.

What makes you think that mate?

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2019, 10:10:00 PM »
When Marlion was drafted, just about every media article mentioned that he was in jail.
Today when he got picked for a granny, probably the greatest moment of his life, all of the media articles had to mention that he was in jail.
Can they please put an asterisk next to his name in the footy record, just so we don't forget during the game that he was once in jail.
Fair dinkum.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2019, 10:56:09 PM »
Got a feeling this bloke is going to rise to the occasion!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2019, 02:48:09 AM »
Quote from: bresker
Great for Marlion Jnr and all the indigenous kids at a local primary school I teach at. The Pickett kids all just started there a couple of weeks back. Imagine moving interstate, starting your new school, next minute dad debuts in the GF! Better get 100 games into dad as jnr has a nice sidestep.

Good luck to him
Quote from: elsleevador
Marlion Jnr is a serious player!! Watched him at Freo City Dockers Juniors! We are all very proud of Marlion Snr over here!
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/marlion-pickett-to-debut-in-the-2019-afl-grand-final.1229005/post-63038910

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2019, 02:49:11 AM »
Former coach backs "unflappable" Marlion Pickett to rise to Grand Final occasion

By SEN
26 Sep 2019

Marlion Pickett's former coach Todd Curley has spoken glowingly of his "unflappable" attitude ahead of his debut in Saturday's Grand Final against GWS.

The Tigers dropped a selection bombshell by naming Pickett - a mature age recruit in the mid-season draft - as the replacment for the injured Jack Graham.

Pickett, 27, played 98 games in the WAFL for South Fremantle, winning two best and fairest awards for the club and Curley has backed him to perform on the biggest stage of all.

“He’s got a pretty simple philosophy,” Curley said on SEN’s Bob and Andy.

“He’s probably the hardest person I’ve seen go at the footy and it’s just all about the footy to him.

“He’ll keep it pretty simple. He’s sort of unflappable, I don’t think he really would care if there’s 100,000 or 100 people out there to be honest.

“A first year player, but he’s probably a bit different in he’s 27, played 100 WAFL games, played state footy, played in some pretty big games in the VFL in the last couple of weeks, so he’s not your run of the mill first year player.”

Pickett is set to be the first Grand Final debutant since 1952 and just the sixth in the history of the league.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/09/26/former-coach-backs-unflappable-pickett-to-rise-to-grand-final-occasion/

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2019, 06:34:19 AM »
I can’t tell you why, but I don’t like this move of selecting Pickett.

I truely hope it plays out well, but it worries me.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2019, 07:30:28 AM »

That was my initial reaction when I heard about it too Slipper

Just thought this is a risk

Obviously rapt for the bloke but nervous too
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2019, 08:44:43 AM »
I think it’s an ordinary call
No other club was going to pick him up for various reasons
Highlights tape is from 2018 you will find as his two games in year have been poor
Geelong issues with Kelly just highlights how hard it is to relocate with a family
Pickett has 4 very young children
He won’t be long term at 28 next year
Club could of drafted him next pre season after he spent time training with us as did Stack
Hope I am wrong
Have to wait and see
Won’t play AFL this year guaranteed
VFL at best
Missed way too much footy this year
Insightful as always 🤦‍♂️
The club that keeps giving.

Offline sdc01

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2019, 08:47:15 AM »
just remember he is 1 of 22...its not tennis where everything depends on 1
whats the risk of playing hm instead of someone else? did you have expectations of ross or kmac coming in and getting 40 possesions and 10 tackles???? the risk is not greater or less no matter who got picked out of the 3.
gws are playing davis who could very well breakdown in the first 5 minutes...mummy is clearly stuffed...etc
As in the stockmarket...its all about the risk/reward ratio

No 12 is coming  :thumbsup

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2019, 08:48:47 AM »

I hope it works out but Sydney Stack deserved to play infront of all of Ross McIntosh and Pickett. This is Damien Hardwick trying to emulate Kevin Sheedy by creating stories and narratives.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2019, 08:57:06 AM »

I hope it works out but Sydney Stack deserved to play infront of all of Ross McIntosh and Pickett. This is Damien Hardwick trying to emulate Kevin Sheedy by creating stories and narratives.

Ok I am hearing you guys, the Sack Hardwick thread is officially on standby for a reboot at approx 5pmish this Sat

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2019, 09:01:04 AM »
You dont think Sydney deserved to play instead of this bloke?