Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 124071 times)

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
Re: Marlion Pickett [merged]
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2019, 11:20:42 PM »
Legendary coach slams 'dangerous' Pickett call

By Chris De Silva
wwos.NINE.com.au
27 September 2017

Legendary former Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy has slammed Richmond's decision to pick debutant Marlion Pickett in its Grand Final side to play the GWS Giants.

Pickett will become the first debutant to play in a Grand Final in 67 years after he was brought into the side in place of the injured Jack Graham.

However, Sheedy, who won three premierships as a player with Richmond, said the move could serve as motivation for the Giants.

"I wouldn't have played a first-gamer in this grand final," Sheedy told 6PR Breakfast.

"You're sorta nearly giving (the impression) we think we've got you covered, so we'll put a kid in.

"(It's) very dangerous."

'us versus them', or 'have a look at those arrogant wankers' may have been displaced and probably even discredited by sports science, but I still reckon you could get an extra % or 2 out of players by hammering home the Pickett selection in the right way. As we know Kevin Sheedy is a master at this, probably even in his advanced years. Therefore I would prefer if he stayed away from the GWS rooms tomorrow, which he wont.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2019, 11:31:33 PM »
IMV the choice of playing Pickett came down to two factors:

(i) Pickett was the form player at VFL level compared to Ross, Kmac & Stack. At least in a like-for-like replacement for Graham he was definitely ahead of Ross since the latter returned from injury. What would've hurt Ross was his ordinary game against the Eagles in a finals-like contest. Also it's going to be dry. If it was going to be a wet slog then Ross may have got the nod.

(ii) The first rule in the art of war is 'know thy enemy'. The fact that all of us who post on a Richmond forum and watch religiously Richmond games at both AFL & VFL levels don't have a clue how Pickett will go on GF day means GWS don't either. He's an unknown. Will he spud it up and be exposed in the pressure cooker environment and quicker tempo so he's nobody for the Giants to worry about and plan for? Will he just play his role and have no impact either way on the game so again a nobody to worry about and but they still need to plan for? Will he be a one game wonder who does a Dean Polo and flies under the radar having 25 disposals and kick 3 goals on debut?

In an era of footy when every aspect of the game is heavily scrutinised and every possible stat analysed to death, throwing an unknown at the enemy could end up being a surprise tactical advantage. We'll find out 5.30pm if it works or doesn't. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2019, 01:27:16 AM »
Sheeds no longer has an official position with the Giants so as a servant of both clubs he should be happy with whoever wins rather than cheering for GWS to beat us. When he was at Essendon we were his 'second favourite' and now it seems we've moved down to third  ::).

As for taking risks, the Giants are bringing back a player only 10 days after having his appendix removed and taking a chance their best key defender's calf will hold out in a GF despite him not training at all week.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2019, 04:38:24 PM »
I can’t tell you why, but I don’t like this move of selecting Pickett.

I truely hope it plays out well, but it worries me.

Breathing much easier now

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2019, 05:24:34 PM »
He played well.

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2019, 05:37:44 PM »
Well Done  :clapping
Legend status FOREVER  :thumbsup
The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2019, 05:42:44 PM »
his awareness and reflexes were excellent.  Watched him pop out with the ball multiple times employing some sort of quantum physics trick, cool as you like.  Was always deft moving the ball to advantage in the clinches just a real cat didn't look under pressure even when he was...Mercurial would be the appropriate cliche I spose.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2019, 07:21:08 PM »
He was great. Was pure silk.

Media work needs a little polish 😂
Unleash the tornado

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2019, 07:29:02 PM »
Incredible debut. Unbelievable really

Go Tiges
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2019, 07:42:34 PM »
Inspired decision by the selectors

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2019, 07:57:52 PM »
That blind turn then the kick to castagna was pure sorcery

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2019, 08:42:02 PM »
He was very good, you could see he needs to work on his kicking choice but geeze for a first game and a pressure game he was very good. Congrats to the selection panel and Marlion himself.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2019, 11:40:06 PM »
Just another example of the excellent decision makers we have at the club now from drafting him to selecting him in the granny.

One of the best on debut it the biggest pressure cooker games of them all. Can’t ask for anything more  :gotigers

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: September 29, 2019, 12:09:32 AM »
So I can remember people being aghast that Jack Graham became a life member of the club after 5 games.

Well Marlion has done it in 1.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #149 on: September 29, 2019, 01:51:40 AM »
So I can remember people being aghast that Jack Graham became a life member of the club after 5 games.

Well Marlion has done it in 1.

Are they giving out more life memberships to this mob?