Author Topic: 2003 draft  (Read 994 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
2003 draft
« on: November 02, 2005, 04:33:06 AM »
In hindsight after 2 seasons how would you guys rate our performance in the 2003 trade/draft period?

Trade - gained Browny for picks 6 (Kepler Bradley) and 20 (Sam Butler). Gained pick 21 for Holland.

21. Gilmour
38. Roach
53. Jackson
64. Morrison
70. Hartigan
73. Tuck
76. Raines
79. Fletcher
81. Archibald

PSD - Marsh, Weller 

Those is bold after still on our list.

For comparison to other clubs here's the full 2003 draft list: http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=draft&spg=display&articleid=127654. A pretty thin draft after the top 20 it seems.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 04:38:03 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: 2003 draft
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:47:03 PM »
Gilmour was always a high risk/high reward pick and unfortunately it looks like it didn't work out, i don't like taking risk with picks in the first 2 rounds, but meh what are you gonna do?

You look at that list and hardly any of them have done anything, although the rule is you cant rate a draft for atleast 3 years since it happened!

Pettigrew (46) has shown a bit of ability.
Rowe (60) has a lot of fans at Collingwood but IMO he can't kick.

There are a few others who have shown up, but not done much.

In retrospect we have done extremely well picking up Tuck in this draft.

Hartigan also appears to be a solid selection.

Jury is still out on Roach, Jackson and Raines, although Jackson and Raines are about 6 months younger then Roach!

Gilmour just didn't work out, Archibald turned into a 192cm rover, while Morrison, Fletcher, Marsh and Weller continued the fine trend of Richmond picking up recycled duds players!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 06:14:10 PM »
A good and balanced assessement there Razor.

I still don't understand how Pettigrew slipped to 46 ???. Being lightly built is the only thing I can ping on him at this stage. His football ability both as a junior and now with Port looks to be all there. 

You look at that list and hardly any of them have done anything, although the rule is you cant rate a draft for atleast 3 years since it happened!

Jury is still out on Roach, Jackson and Raines, although Jackson and Raines are about 6 months younger then Roach!

That's true and it'll probably be these three IMO that will determine if our recruiting that year was successful or not. If  at least 2 out of the 3 make it then I think the Club can give itself a pat on the back. Scoring 4 AFL quality players from one draft is a good return.

At this stage Tuck is our only sure gain. Harts still has to go to another level before he's there although doing a hamstring early in the year  stuffed him up just when he looked to be hitting his straps. Hopefully he has more luck in 2006. He may be the answer to our BP problem.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 06:44:38 PM »
Wasn't Pettigrew rated highly in the 2002 draft before pulling out?

Hartigan has the ability to play the BP, but IMO he is not our answer for the position.

Harts is more of a running out of defense player, who can also play in the midfield.

What we need at the position is a shutdown/negative player who can shut down opposition FP's, i don't believe Hartigan can do that, but i could be wrong.

A lot of people look at Jackson and Raines and say "They've been on the list 2 years and have done nothing, they suck" without looking at the facts.

Both guys were bottom-age draftees, and both don't turn 20 until March and April next year, most 2003 draftees would have turned 20 through the 2005 season.

We definetly drafted for potential in 2003 with Gilmour, Jackson, Raines and Archibald all bottom-age picks.

Roach was a PR pick, Hartigan was definetly a "safe" pick, will never be a superstar but likely to make it type pick, while Tuck was your classic dark horse pick, nobody knew what to expect.

Personally i don't think Roach will make it, he appears to have good speed, agility and stamina which obviously fits in with Wallace's gameplan, but i severly question his skill level.

Jackson has legitimate potential to be a great AFL midfielder/forward, how much of that potential he will develop remains to be seen, but i doubt he will ever have a good enough footy IQ to become a star, IMO he'll end up an "enigma" player, one minute he'll do something only the great AFL players can, the next he'll make a very basic/simple mistake.

Hartigan probably won't improve much, but will evolve into a solid contributor of the team, he'll never win the game off his own boot, but he'll always plug away and contribute positively to the team week after week.

Raines's only chance at AFL is on the wing, unless he magically develops an AFL body or FP instincts, which i doubt will happen.

I watched in play on Archer in the Kangaroos game on the wing, and IMO played a terrific game, notching up something like 17 possies in somewhat limited gametime.

He should of gotten more of a go this season, and was unharshly hung out to dry after the Adelaide loss simply because a couple of big-bodied crows players broke through his tackles.

As for making it in the AFL i don't really know, i'd like to think he can as i'm a fan of his, but i really don't know, 2006 should find him out.