Author Topic: 2026 Commonwealth Games in Victoria  (Read 5235 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 2026 Commonwealth Games in Victoria
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2023, 02:00:12 PM »
Typical of a labor government, spend, spend spend, until they get booted and then some poor liberal party has to fix it up

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2023, 02:51:55 PM »
Embarrassing

Poor Jerome is out of a job  :rollin

Didn't want them originally, thought it was going to be a waste of money

It was going to be a waste of momey from the get go

At least they cancelled now rather going ahead for the sake of it

At least they cancelled now?

Have already spent a fortune. Absolute jokers.

It's a massive Labor(sic)/Andrews stuff up so naturally WP has to downplay it. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2023, 04:31:38 PM »
Embarrassing. Deserves a whack over this even in the long run the infrastructure still being built benefits regional Victoria. Reminds me of the Transport supremo Yes Minister episode. While today's decision is the correct one, this Comm Games was a ticking bomb that no one else wanted so you don't let your ego get in the way and say yes unless you can do it. You just make someone else's problem yours otherwise.

Not sure who else wants it now? The Comm Games is dying a slow death. Sad for the athletes who won't ever make an Olympics, but the Comm Games no longer has the prestige it once did. Just a relic of a long dead Pommie Empire that has become increasingly irrelevant. The world's best athletes attend the Olympics and that's what attracts the world's eyeballs and sponsor dollars. Aussies winning a zillion goal medals at the Comm Games is great for each individual winner but it's really just a regional sporting competition these days without the big boys and girls to compete against. It may keep going for a little while (Canada apparently is considering putting in a national bid for 2030 rather than just one city) but when the CGA has to chase and beg someone to host it, then the competition's days are numbered.

Typical of a labor government, spend, spend spend, until they get booted and then some poor liberal party has to fix it up
Yeah, that's why the previous federal LNP government left the country with close to a trillion dollar debt and nothing to show for it. Their comeuppance is coming too over the Robodebt corruption scandal.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2023, 04:37:05 PM »
LMAO - yeah the debt that blew out because of the pandemic measures which the ALP opposition wanted the government to throw even more money at.  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2023, 05:52:26 PM »
Comm Games
Airport Link that is going to end up same as comm games bid
Lockdowns

Good on you Comrade Dan

You must be so proud

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2023, 06:25:45 PM »
the cost of living in the last 6 weeks has been something else :shh

https://twitter.com/Raf_Epstein/status/1681172518143668225

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2023, 06:28:52 PM »
 :lol :lol typical MT. If I didnt know any better i would think he and 65 are father and son :shh

Anyway il give my own version to MT's reply.

" I personally really dont gaf about the comm games comrade is a champion. He really didnt put us into that much debt like robbo potatohead did. If he did it was to save the world. I also hate the Monarchy so good riddance to the comm games. I love harry and meghan though so i feel for them during this time.

:gotigers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2023, 09:12:56 PM »

It's a massive Labor(sic)/Andrews stuff up so naturally WP has to downplay it. :shh

Not down playing it all

Just don't give a rats about the Comm games and glad they've been cancelled. Should never have put our hand for them after whichever South African city it was that pulled out because they couldn't afford it

I'd flick the Grand Prix too just quietly another waste of government money ;D

It is embarrassing for the State and folks have a right to be angry.

But with the costs of so many projects already blown out it's a relief that they have canned this.

Simple facts are the State can't afford it.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 10:12:34 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2023, 09:42:17 PM »
Yeah Danny Boy's done a bang up job *checks notes* saving money to pay for all his other stuff ups & blow outs :clapping

Geez no wonder you always run cover for '65...birds of a feather... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2023, 10:09:34 PM »

Not down playing it all

Just don't give a rats about the Comm games and glad they've been cancelled. Should never have put our hand for them after whichever South African city it was that pulled out because they couldn't afford it

I'd flick the Grand Prix too just quietly another waste of government money ;D

It is embarrassing for the State and folks have a right to be angry.

But with the costs so many projects already blown out it's a relief that they have canned this.

Simple facts are the State can't afford it.

I feel the same.

Was arrogant and ambitious putting the hand up to begin with.

I see no other states offering to host.

Not happy about the method but I'm glad it's not going ahead.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2023, 10:15:22 PM »
Yeah Danny Boy's done a bang up job *checks notes* saving money to pay for all his other stuff ups & blow outs :clapping

Seriously, have no idea what you are on about

But whatever

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2023, 12:42:54 AM »

Seriously, have no idea what you are on about

But whatever

WP

Respect you a lot , but seriously ?

He’s on about the fact that there is a handful of “labor can do no wrong” on the forum

My own opinion - too late to be pulling out now
Too much already invested

And as I said at the start of this thread , it was a joke .. imbecile comrade Dan was proud of beating thin air to win the games

Now he’s shat the bed and embarrassed the state

The bloke is a joke

Don’t even start me on the truth of his fall down the stairs.. I would love to tell the truth here , but it would get taken down

Let me roll with filthy grub of a human who got belted accordingly

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2023, 02:09:01 AM »
:lol :lol typical MT. If I didnt know any better i would think he and 65 are father and son :shh

Anyway il give my own version to MT's reply.

" I personally really dont gaf about the comm games comrade is a champion. He really didnt put us into that much debt like robbo potatohead did. If he did it was to save the world. I also hate the Monarchy so good riddance to the comm games. I love harry and meghan though so i feel for them during this time.

:gotigers
For someone obsessed with me you sure say some clueless daft crap at times :lol. LOL @ bringing up Harry and Meghan. Why would give a stuff about any of the Windsors?! :huh3. They are all a pack of infighting narcissists irrelevant to modern Australia :yep. You need to stop getting your "news" from New Idea and a crybaby wedding photographer turned internet conspiracy cooker and grifter :shh.

As for the Comm Games, I was just stating a fact. Cities & countries fall over themselves bidding for the Olympics or the World Cup despite the IOC & FIFA being corrupt, yet the CGA had to beg for someone to host their little B-grade sports carnival.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2023, 05:34:34 AM »
Can read you like a book MT  :shh

https://www.afr.com/companies/sport/not-a-difficult-decision-andrews-scraps-commonwealth-games-20230718-p5dp3f

Great read. The most important thing is how badly other projects were costed. Something the chear leaders haven't mentioned once.. If only 6 weeks ago it was a 2 billion dollar exercise that is now 6 plus I wonder how many other projects have been thrown into chaos . Even Jerome and our Peggy were on this grainy train of close to a mil you would think.

If those that want to go down the robodebt path (rightly so) why wont they also bring up the Victorians governments waste?  :shh :thumbsdown

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2023, 09:08:51 AM »
Word is it is nothing to do with the $ but more an anti monarchy move to appease a certain minority and to push the political correctness barrow