Author Topic: Jason Castagna [merged]  (Read 148936 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jason Castagna [merged]
« Reply #840 on: April 12, 2023, 04:33:07 PM »
Hypothetical question:

Would George get a game right now with all our outs if he hadn't retired?

:outtahere

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #841 on: April 12, 2023, 05:27:20 PM »
Yep

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #842 on: April 12, 2023, 07:11:44 PM »
Hypothetical question:

Yep
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #843 on: April 12, 2023, 07:46:27 PM »
Hypothetical question:

He'd almost be captain if Grimesy we to go down

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #844 on: April 13, 2023, 07:23:49 AM »
And capt/coach if dimma went down as well
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick laments “guilt” over early Jason Castagna retirement (ZH)
« Reply #845 on: June 27, 2023, 02:28:03 PM »
Hardwick laments “guilt” over early Jason Castagna retirement

Jack Jovanovski
SEN
June 26, 2023

Next, Hardwick explored the unfortunate circumstances surrounding Castagna's unexpected pre-season retirement, expressing his fear that the three-time premiership forward may have closed the door on his AFL career due to the scrutiny he received from fans online, announcing his guilt for not doing more to publicly defend his disciple.

"Probably one of the hardest things for me was when Jason Castagna retired, he was one of the greatest role players, if not the greatest role player that our football club has ever seen," said Hardwick.

"I sort of felt like I didn't protect him enough, I hope this isn't the case, but I've got a funny feeling that social media brought about the downfall of 'George'.

"It became too hard for him, his love of the game diminished because of the criticism that he would get from fans, and I sort of felt a little bit of guilt towards that because I think, internally, we sort of gave him the due credit he deserved, but externally, I sort of felt a little bit guilty that maybe I didn't stick up for him enough with regard to the role he played, and didn't give him the due credits that he deserved for making us a great side."

Hardwick cited fans' preference for fantasy football value, instead of an appreciation for Richmond's nuanced game style, as a reason why Castagna was unappealing in the eyes of some.

"I sort of felt that it got the better of him, and that's the hard thing about our game. People sort of sit there and look at SuperCoach points; kicks, marks, handballs, well Richmond's not really about that," Hardwick said.

"They're about a system that gives them an opportunity to play, or a way to play the game that'll give them wins, and by those players playing those positions, will allow other players to flourish and succeed."

https://www.zerohanger.com/damien-hardwick-lauds-unheralded-heros-role-in-uplifting-dustin-martin-laments-guilt-over-early-jason-castagna-retirement-139072/

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #846 on: June 27, 2023, 03:10:41 PM »
I think Dimma is part to blame for this just kept on playing him until his confidence was shot didn't drop him to the vfl till the end to find form. He goes on about stats etc George wasn't even doing the basics tackling etc let alone kicking goals a bit of bs for me.

Online Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #847 on: June 27, 2023, 04:37:46 PM »
Greatest role player the tigers have ever had.. LMAO
Now I've heard it all. Luckiest player to ever play AFL he was. Macintosh has his flaws but he has been a better role player, as was Lambert. Come on Dimma. Reality is you should have kept Butler and traded that Simpsons character

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #848 on: June 27, 2023, 08:37:47 PM »
Reckon that article shows just how close coaches get to players and lose objectivity.
They are supposed to be coaches not the players best friends. When that gets in the way it is indeed time to walk away.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #849 on: June 28, 2023, 12:00:05 AM »
I think Dimma is part to blame for this just kept on playing him until his confidence was shot didn't drop him to the vfl till the end to find form. He goes on about stats etc George wasn't even doing the basics tackling etc let alone kicking goals a bit of bs for me.

I agree with this, which I think Dimma is sorta saying in a way. That he kept playing him whilst he was playing poorly but wasn't defending him for the reasons they were happy with him internally.

But agree in that he was looked after too much.
Go Tigers!

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #850 on: June 28, 2023, 02:48:03 AM »
Awesome responses above. I second those sentiments. I commend him for forming deep relationships with the players and he didn’t just treat them as expendable meat packets. Unfortunately that meant he couldn’t see when the best thing to do was protect players by playing them in Vfl to boost their confidence a bit.

Every fan has a right to be spewing, when players miss absolute sodas 10 m from goal (aarts and castagna against GC last year from memory). No one doubts castagna in 17-20 was a hallmark of immense tackling pressure and forward half turnovers. I’d argue the ease of how teams walked it out of our f50 in the first half of this year was largely due to castagna not playing. But fmd when a small forward only averages around 10 touches a game you can’t be spraying shots 10 m out

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #851 on: June 28, 2023, 01:29:07 PM »
Criticising his performance when he had bad games is one thing... Relentlessly ripping into him on social media so that his mental health is destroyed is another....

Broadsword

« Reply #852 on: June 28, 2023, 04:12:04 PM »
Criticising his performance when he had bad games is one thing... Relentlessly ripping into him on social media so that his mental health is destroyed is another....
Yup

3 more premierships than all his critics won too.

Most maligned 3-time premiership player in history?

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #853 on: June 28, 2023, 07:09:31 PM »

I agree some take it to far criticism do it respectful , but gez we blowing this up bigtime for me hearing alot bs and excuses.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #854 on: June 28, 2023, 08:41:17 PM »
He copped it and lot and it got to him. That I know first hand, no whispers. He's a really nice bloke and I have no reason to doubt Dimma's take on it