Author Topic: Dogs and other pets  (Read 126341 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Dogs and other pets
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2010, 10:42:36 PM »
Got some sad news. Misty our almost 6 year old budgie has been sick the past week so we took him to the vet a few days or so ago for some tests. Just found out late yesterday the poor little fella has kidney disease. Gutted  :'(.
Poor Misty :'(

We've had two more nights with Misty so we're taking it day and day and enjoying watever time we have left with him. We're going to see a bird expert tomorrow to see what he has to say. He may at least hopefully do something to make Misty feel more comfortable.
All the best, MT
Ta FNM
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2010, 09:44:13 AM »
You take care MT all the best
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2010, 09:14:08 PM »
You take care MT all the best
Ta WP. Will do. The bird expert vet today said Misty is too lively to be euthanased yet and the main issue at this stage is his very high uric acid levels. The prognosis still isn't good but Misty will be in the animal hospital for the next 3 days to flush out his kidneys and try and make him feel more comfortable in himself and alleviate any symptoms. If he doesn't respond to the treatment then we will have to get him put down as we don't want to get to the stage where he is suffering greatly. Not fair on Misty.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #258 on: August 22, 2010, 09:24:01 PM »
Ta WP. Will do. The bird expert vet today said Misty is too lively to be euthanased yet and the main issue at this stage is his very high uric acid levels. The prognosis still isn't good but Misty will be in the animal hospital for the next 3 days to flush out his kidneys and try and make him feel more comfortable in himself and alleviate any symptoms. If he doesn't respond to the treatment then we will have to get him put down as we don't want to get to the stage where he is suffering greatly. Not fair on Misty.

Sorry that the prognosis is good MT but hopefully the stay in hospital will make things a little better for the little fella

Not wanting to sound flippant in anyway but isn't it amazing what they can do.

We marvel at human medicine but what they are able to do for animals these days is equally amazing. How delicate to be able to flush out the kidneys of your little bloke. Incredible
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:16:05 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #259 on: August 22, 2010, 10:13:57 PM »
All the best for you and your feathered friend MT.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #260 on: August 23, 2010, 03:46:22 AM »
Ta CUB

Sorry that the prognosis is good MT but hopefully the stay in hospital will make things a little better for the little fella

Not wanting to sound flippant in anyway but isn't it amazing what they can do.

We marvel at human medicine but what they are able to do for animals these days is equally amazing. How delicate to be able to flush out the kidneys of your little bloke. Incredible
That's true WP. At this animal hospital they even have micro-instruments for birds so they can do say an endoscopy for example.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #261 on: August 25, 2010, 07:35:48 PM »
Vets are awesome, the critter cant tell em the symptoms so they have to actually be competent to know whats wrong, not like some of the bludger quacks I have been to lately.
Lots of people name their swords......

gerkin greg

« Reply #262 on: August 25, 2010, 08:00:57 PM »
Do you let your budgie fly around MT? Or is it permanently caged?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #263 on: August 25, 2010, 09:14:31 PM »
Do you let your budgie fly around MT? Or is it permanently caged?
We leave the door open all day so Misty can fly around. A bloody speed merchant too when he flies straight from one end of the house to the other.

We've just got home from picking Misty up from his 3-day stay in hospital. Some positive news is he has responded to the kidney flushing treatment and gained some weight (he reached as low as 29g when a normal budgie's weight is around 38-40g). That doesn't mean he no longer has kidney disease but at least he's feeling a bit more comfortable in himself.

Ox

Re: Dogs
« Reply #264 on: August 25, 2010, 09:33:24 PM »

gerkin greg

« Reply #265 on: August 25, 2010, 09:58:05 PM »
Good to hear MT, on the health and the fact that you let Misty fly.

Had a pet duck called Rodriguez that had first his eyes pecked out by magpies one week then his brain the next but there was no way i was locking the little beaner up.

Such is Life.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #266 on: August 26, 2010, 09:52:05 AM »
You sure it wasn't a crow (actually they are called 'little ravens')?  They actively hunt weaker animals, particularly birds and your poor ol domesticated duck was not toughened up by a life in the wild mate..you gotta keep em safe ..  Magpies don't attack unless protecting young or if feeling threatened.  I have seen little ravens and magpies coordinate attacks on a cat, distracting it from the front while others swooped and grabbed its tail.
The mother in law rescued a bunch of wild ducklings that the mother had abandoned on a nature strip in the middle of a busy road.  She had a big block with ponds / water feature and put em in there, got the vet to suss em out and just put them in a chicken mesh thing during the night, got the dog to bond with em and look after them during the day.  Was hilarious they followed the dog around, and he used to get in the water with em.  Two of them still come back and visit the house to this day, have a swim, bit of a snack, its pretty cool.  If you don't put em away, you got foxes, cats and I dunno bout where you are but quolls, eagles/hawks, snakes even goannas, tigers oh and sharks etc.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #267 on: September 01, 2010, 07:36:35 PM »
For those interested, Misty has been home a week now. Stable is probably the best word at the moment. He's not his old chipy choc-full of energy self and he still weighs just 32g (up from 29g mind you from when he entered hospital), but he is regularly eating, drinking, flying around a little bit and sleeping well. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort which is the main thing. We're needing to give him medication twice a day which involves grabbing him which he doesn't enjoy (I don't like grabbing him either after not doing it for 6 years but it's a necessity). We saw the Vet on Monday who cropped-fed Misty and he was pleased with how Misty was going. It is still a day-to-day thing and I need to SMS the Vet daily. So each extra day is a bonus. Touchwood so far! We'll see the Vet again next Monday if Misty keeps going as he has been the past week.

FNM

« Reply #268 on: September 04, 2010, 03:40:22 PM »
For those interested, Misty has been home a week now. Stable is probably the best word at the moment. He's not his old chipy choc-full of energy self and he still weighs just 32g (up from 29g mind you from when he entered hospital), but he is regularly eating, drinking, flying around a little bit and sleeping well. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort which is the main thing. We're needing to give him medication twice a day which involves grabbing him which he doesn't enjoy (I don't like grabbing him either after not doing it for 6 years but it's a necessity). We saw the Vet on Monday who cropped-fed Misty and he was pleased with how Misty was going. It is still a day-to-day thing and I need to SMS the Vet daily. So each extra day is a bonus. Touchwood so far! We'll see the Vet again next Monday if Misty keeps going as he has been the past week.

Glad to hear he is doing okay, MT. Did they have him on bird-building steroids, going from 29 to 32 g? lol
HOpe he continues to improve  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #269 on: September 04, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »
Glad to hear he is doing okay, MT. Did they have him on bird-building steroids, going from 29 to 32 g? lol
HOpe he continues to improve  :thumbsup
Ta FNM  :). We'll find out on Monday from the Vet if he's gained/lost any weight.

lol at steriods. I did over the years when Misty was fully well wonder what Trill put in their birdseed as he was a strong little fella with a strong jaw who could give a decent nip if your fingers/hand got in the way of his beak lol.