Author Topic: What we need to recruit  (Read 3106 times)

Offline jordie2tivendale

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: What we need to recruit
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 07:05:02 AM »
Griffo needs to be looked at because he's to soft
Cotchin had 2 years of being "soft" as you put it give the kid a break 

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 08:40:07 AM »
Jay Schulz. Said he wants to play finals

Either that or come home Clokey  :thumbsup ;D

Ruanaidh

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 08:46:53 AM »
1. Big bodied defender Chaplain it seems is coming.
2. A couple of hard nosed midfielders.
3. Strong big bodied lead up forward.
4. Small highly skilled forward.
5. Captain with inspiration.
Could not agree more. :thumbsup

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »
In no particular order

- Half Forward to back up if Vickery gets injured
- Half back
- Tough Inside mid because we won't get 22 games out of Foley next year with his injury profile and age.
- Highly skilled kick out of defense

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »
Said it for two years now...

BIG BODIED BACKMEN

Start with Merritt!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 01:38:14 PM »
Hopefully Vickery will have an injury-free year next year so we have another tall forward/ruck relief. He was clearly hampered by injury all year until he had his surgery.

We need:
- Big backman to take on power forwards. Rance fights manfully and Grimes has shown a lot in his short career so far, but they each need another inch or so in height.
- Big MF'ing power forward to smash packs and slap around opposition key defenders. Jack does it solo and he's not a power forward, never will be. Too lean.
- Midfield depth - we already have some stars so a couple more competent/hard midfielders would add much needed depth. Was really hoping RFC would chase Dayne Beams hard.

Guys like Jackson, Edwards, Nahas, White etc are certainly players I would keep. They're not expensive and they do compete.
Jackson will never go soft in a 1VS1 and despite his leg speed/skill he is fit to run all game and we need the hardness he and Tuck give the side.
Edwards shows a lot of skill and his higher weight this year has helped him to lay more tackles, but he lets himself down with poor disposal at times in spite of his apparent ability.
Nahas hits the scoreboard but I'd like to see him put on a few more KG so he doesn't get thrown around so easily.
White isn't great but always has a go. He's a Richmond fan and will always try for the club at least.

And if we have to lose a ruckman from our stocks I'd probably lose A Brown rather than Gus or Derickx. Derickx has only had two years with RFC and one was stuffed by injury. Still a bit early to judge. And if it comes down to a choice between Brown and Gus I'd keep Gus simply because he's got a bigger/more mature body. Neither Gus nor Brown ever look comfortable when disposing the ball the way Maric does.

the claw

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »
we have needs in most areas. we all acknowledge the depth problems we have.  that depth is lacking forward back and midfield.
its a real good draft for mids so lets target midfield as an area we must fix  would also be looking to fix the defense.

we need to use  3 nd picks on 18 - 20 yo mids.  picks 10, 30, 50  or similar..  to go with those 3 kids i would be looking for two mature mids as well maloney psd and sundberg/dwyer or both as rookies. thats 5 or 6 mids in one go with not only quality picks used on hopefully quality kids but older guys ready to make an immediate impact and improve our depth straight away.

the other priority would be  GENUINE tall defenders.
Would like one in the nd tanner smith perhaps. would like to get chaplin in free agency or a similar type to him as far as size goes.
would take tom lee nd and perhaps rookie a bloke like kyle hartigan from state leagues.
thats 4 talls one 18yo a 21 a 23yo and a 26yo. three of them capable of playing straight away.

also it seems its likely we will cut two ruckmen would be looking to at least rookie one.

finally would like to find a way to trade into some picks below 50 to give ourselves an opportunity to get a crack at someone like max duffy.

with astbury, griffiths elton and vickery i would not be bothered if we didnt get a tall forward this yr all these blokes have been taken with decent picks you would really hope that two of them will cut it. if at the end of next yr none have come along we may well have to go to the well again. a player like tom lee could help in this area as he can play both ends.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 04:07:37 PM »
1. Big bodied defender
2. Inside midfielders
3. Back up ruckman
4. Small highly skilled forward.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
Why do we need a big bodied defender? Rance, post, griffiths and astbury weigh between 95 and 100kg. I'd rather they put on 3kg each instead of getting chaplain

Gigantor

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 04:18:20 PM »
I tend to agree with you madtiger.However i think chaplain might be insurance just in case Grimesy has ongoing problems with hammys

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 04:48:55 PM »
Why do we need a big bodied defender? Rance, post, griffiths and astbury weigh between 95 and 100kg. I'd rather they put on 3kg each instead of getting chaplain

Only Griff is over 95kg the rest are all 93kg or less.

Griff at 198cm and 99kg should be our monster backman but...

Chaplin at 195 and 110kg certainly could be used while Griff is still injury prone.

and let's not forget he still 20 years old

:thumbsup

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »

Chaplin at 195 and 110kg certainly could be used while Griff is still injury prone.

In what world is Chaplin 110 kilo? With that weight he lost over pre-season he would be 95k tops I reckon.

the claw

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 05:27:37 PM »
take the blinkers off madone and you will see a real need for kpds on the list.

rance was horrible again this week and is suspect one on one.
 if i listen to most posters on most sites post is a dud not my opinion by the way.
griffiths has not shown hes a backman imo hes not. he  is being wasted down back and should be developed at ff.
 same goes for astbury is a hit up hf dont see him as a kpd at all.  if anything these two have been underwhelming with only youth and injury being their saving grace to date. you could not in all fairness call any of post, astbury or griffiths established players they may never be.

would much rather be going into next season with a list of
tall backs
rance, chaplin, lee, grimes, post,  tanner smith nd, and a rookie like kyle hartigan as our tall options.

our tall forward options should be
riewoldt,  elton, astbury, griffiths, lee,  with vickery being the ruck/for.  far far better depth and flexability. we should be developing forwards and shoring up the backhalf  with genuine defenders.

as far as im concerned those numbers are spot on for tall forwards and defenders.

the claw

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »

In what world is Chaplin 110 kilo? With that weight he lost over pre-season he would be 95k tops I reckon.
not 110 but 100kg. hes been listed at or near that weight for at least 5 seasons id say.
unlike what some think here he has taken on and beaten big kpfs in one on ones.

i happen to like ports set up down back.
carlisle 192/101
chaplin 195/100
trengove 197/97
the last couple of seasons trengove has been given the kp role as part of his development and chaplin has become the third tall if you like.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 05:43:41 PM »
They've all been poo this year, especially Trengove