Author Topic: AFL Draft 2022  (Read 22013 times)

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
Re: AFL Draft 2022
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2022, 12:07:01 PM »
Drury 176cm

Closely 184cm

No no no no no

We need talls. I don't care if they're scraping the bottom of the barrel we need to try to develop a tall forward, no excuses.

We do need talls.

But there’s no point drafting a player for the sake of position if that player has little prospect of making at AFL level. Then it’s just a waste of a draft pick.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2022, 12:39:11 PM »
I would rather draft 2 talls than none.

Rookie draft, take a medium forward and key defender.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2022, 02:54:11 PM »
Drury 176cm

Closely 184cm

No no no no no

We need talls. I don't care if they're scraping the bottom of the barrel we need to try to develop a tall forward, no excuses.

We do need talls.

But there’s no point drafting a player for the sake of position if that player has little prospect of making at AFL level. Then it’s just a waste of a draft pick.

We're talking about pick 50-60 so I doubt these two are going to light it up either.

Need to take a punt on two tall forwards and hope that one of them makes a decent forward.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2022, 04:42:12 PM »
101 % ,tall forward take time to develop, take 2 maybe 3 because with Jacks age and Lynchies injuries we are going to need a few
I will give you my opinion based on history, the other clubs will likely only take picks into the 3rd round at best and with the high amount of picks being gobbled up for the father / sons and a few delisted players being pick up,  I think our first pick will be in the 40’s and if the quality is there use all 3 on tall, maybe a developing ruck/ forward would be handy

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2022, 05:31:12 AM »
Drury 176cm

Closely 184cm

No no no no no

We do need talls.

We're talking about pick 50-60 so I doubt these two are going to light it up either.

Need to take a punt on two tall forwards and hope that one of them makes a decent forward.

More than enough evidence over the last four or five drafts to indicate quality players can be found in the 50s and 60s.

I’m not saying don’t go the KPF, but if those available at those picks have 10% of making it at AFL level and there are others that are non KPP’s at say 50%, go with the player that you think can actually play at an AFL level eventually.

We also have three rookie list spots which may be better use for those more speculative picks.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2022, 06:04:05 PM »
Drury 176cm

Closely 184cm

No no no no no

We do need talls.

More than enough evidence over the last four or five drafts to indicate quality players can be found in the 50s and 60s.

I’m not saying don’t go the KPF, but if those available at those picks have 10% of making it at AFL level and there are others that are non KPP’s at say 50%, go with the player that you think can actually play at an AFL level eventually.

We also have three rookie list spots which may be better use for those more speculative picks.

Yeah I see what you're saying.

I think in this instance for me if the margins were smaller (ie these key forwards have a 20% chance of making it vs small mids having 30% chance) if be prepared to take on the risk of drafting the talls and hope for the best.

I see a guy like Mitch Lewis and I think surely we can find someone like that if we get them a chance.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2022, 07:15:38 PM »
I don’t think We don’t have a choice, key forwards often take 2 or 3 years to show signs they will make it,
If we don’t have a crack this year, next year,( if we go well ),our first pick will be a late second round and with years to develop a key forward and no guarantees
Our key forward will be lucky to be there for a year for jack and 2 maybe 3 for  Lynchy I hope they grab 2 and maybe 1 as a rookie

Offline Gigantor

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2022, 07:54:04 PM »
Our club appears to take the long term outlook in planning. I would bet they already had hopper and Taranto in the pipe last year that’s why they went heavily in the draft in 2021. I suggest they also have this in mind with regards to our forward needs . I know we are compromised next year re picks , but you can gain picks by offloading players

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2022, 03:57:02 AM »
These guys did a full on mock draft last night:

https://www.facebook.com/pommyinoz/videos/1533376687161638/

Here's who they selected for Richmond:

50. Richmond - Blake Drury

Scully (#46) & Lemmey (#48)  were already gone.

They also reckon we would be interested in Luke Teal (#54).

58. Richmond - Ted Clohesy .... ( apparently Geelong has said they won't be matching bids in the National Draft).

For those interested, here was their full mock draft selections.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2022, 05:30:25 AM »
AFL Draft Power Rankings – November 2022

Top 50 plus those in the mix around our picks.

Top 50 here: https://central.rookieme.com/afl/power-rankings/afl-draft-power-rankings-november-2022/

IN THE MIX

As always, and despite the list being extended out to 50 names, there are a bunch of players who can consider themselves unlucky to miss out. Needless to say, that does not mean they are out of draft contention.

Potentially the next cab off the rank was Gippsland Power defender/wingman Cooper Vickery. The Hawthorn NGA candidate took out his region’s best and fairest, beating out a stacked squad of players in doing so.

Fellow Vic Country squad members Jack O’Sullivan (Oakleigh) and Hugh Bond (GWV) also came into considerations, while Chargers talls Hudson O’Keeffe and Will Elliott may attract interest from clubs despite their omissions here.

Over in South Australia, talls Tom Scully and Harry Lemmey have been on the radar all year, the latter having been originally touted as a top five prospect. Now, Scully is arguably ahead in the race to be drafted, though there are no guarantees for the West Adelaide talls.

Jackson Broadbent is another interesting ruck proposition. Though his craft in that primary position could be worked on, his ability to contribute with sound skills around the ground is rare for a player his size and may be too good to overlook.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/power-rankings/afl-draft-power-rankings-november-2022/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL Draft Focus: Richmond Tigers (zerohanger)
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2022, 02:19:42 PM »
AFL Draft Focus: Richmond Tigers

The Tigers currently won’t enter the draft until the third round, but that doesn’t mean they’re short on options.

Jack Jovanovski
zerohanger.com
November 9, 2022

So with their list already almost finalised, we take a look at their options for this month's draft.

Draft Hand

Picks 53, 63, and 88.

The Tigers' list management brain trust will be tasked with digging deep this year in order to find some diamonds in the rough with their limited draft capital, boasting just three picks after exchanging two first-round picks and two second-round picks to the Giants for Taranto and Hopper, respectively.

However, sourcing talent further down the draft order is something the Punt Road club has had success achieving in past years, nabbing the likes of premiership players Jayden Short, Kane Lambert, and Jason Castagna at the 2014 Rookie Draft, as well as snatching up Nathan Broad with Pick 67 in 2015, Jack Graham at No. 53 in 2016, Ben Miller with Pick 63, Liam Baker in the Rookie Draft in 2017, and Maurice Rioli Jr. at No. 51 in 2020.

While the Tigers currently won't enter the draft until Pick 53, that selection is likely to increase its place in the queue after early father-son selections and potential matched Academy bids after Pick 40.

The Tigers may also look to improve their spot in the draft order on the night through live trading of picks.

Ideal Prospects

Harry Lemmey:

Lemmey, a strong-leading, athletic West Adelaide prospect, could certainly fill the tall-forward void that is opening wider at Tigerland.

The issue for the Tigers is if he is taken before they're on the clock at No. 53, as Lemmey's range could extend to the opening half of the second round.

However, the injuries Lemmey has suffered since he burst onto the SANFL scene in 2021 may work in Richmond's favour if he slides to the 50s.

James Van Es:

If Richmond opts for a key defender, Van Es could be somebody the Tigers heavily consider in their pick range.

Like Josh Gibcus, Van Es hails from the Greater Western Victoria Rebels and has put his name forward as one of the better key defender prospects this year.

Also similar to Gibcus, one of Van Es' strongest traits is his intercept marking, which would surely appeal to Hartley and coach Damien Hardwick, who loves intercepting threats (see: Grimes, Vlastuin, Balta, and Alex Rance).

Tom Scully:

Like his West Adelaide teammate Lemmey, Scully is another leading forward the Tigers could consider in terms of fulfilling their imminent tall-forward need.

Scully, who has a soccer background and appears as more of a raw prospect, kicked 50 goals in the SANFL Under 18s this year and poses as a rangy forward-50 marking target.

The 18-year-old could be a target for Richmond with their second or third selection.

https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-draft-focus-richmond-tigers-129730/

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2022, 02:42:49 PM »
We all rave about the 2021 draft but imo we missed a trick when it came to our greatest needs.

Two glaring list weaknesses and we did little to address either imo.

I dont mind puttin it out there i thought Neal Erasmus at 9 was the go was happy to get Gibcus he was probably too good to overlook but there in Erasmus was a 190cm plus mid who could go fwd as well.

Did say Van Rooyen at 17 instead of Brown there is the quality young kpf we needed.
Sonsie we had to take being there at 28 and said so.
Having overlooked Gibcus i had Bazzo instead of Banks He was so highly toted as a key defender.
with 30 i wanted one of Blake Howes a tall fwd or we take a punt on Jack Williams a big KPF.

Ialso wanted us to cut at least one more player and get a pick around 40.
Williams as a kpf was likely to be there and we all knew a mid or two would slip and Draper was one i really liked along with Windhager.

For me that would have allowed us to target three mids two of them big two key fwds and a key defender.

Broadsword

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2022, 04:02:00 PM »
All of that would make an excellent post in the 'AFL Draft 2021' thread.

Returning to the 2022 AFL Draft ...

:gotigers

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2022, 04:25:51 PM »
Point being made is we have not taken a long term view when it comes to talls and to a lesser degree big mids.

Here we are discussing taking tall forwards at any cost this year when we had an opportunity to address the glaring need last year.

Brown went at 17 Van Rooyen at 19 in hindsight would people not agree it may have been more prudent to take the key fwd.

Had we gone down that path we would have at least two genuine key fwds in development and three big young mids in the system probably alleviating the need to trade for two big mids allowing us to take one and stay more involved in this years draft and next year.

There were alternative options and in any discussion about what we have done or havent done it is relative.

We go to the 2022 draft with a small draft hand the second small draft hand in three seasons.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 04:42:19 PM by the claw »

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2022, 12:59:32 AM »
Point being made is we have not taken a long term view when it comes to talls and to a lesser degree big mids.

Here we are discussing taking tall forwards at any cost this year when we had an opportunity to address the glaring need last year.

Brown went at 17 Van Rooyen at 19 in hindsight would people not agree it may have been more prudent to take the key fwd.

Had we gone down that path we would have at least two genuine key fwds in development and three big young mids in the system probably alleviating the need to trade for two big mids allowing us to take one and stay more involved in this years draft and next year.

There were alternative options and in any discussion about what we have done or havent done it is relative.

We go to the 2022 draft with a small draft hand the second small draft hand in three seasons.

I wanted JVR with 17.

Also wanted Bazzo with a late pick.

Personally not sold on Banks or Brown yet. Clarke didn't think we needed him tbh, looked like he had talent in his debut but I don't see him pushing out Bolton, MRJ, Cumberland etc.