Author Topic: Matt Dea [merged]  (Read 137467 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Matt Dea [merged]
« on: November 26, 2009, 07:17:59 PM »
Welcome Matthew  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:21:34 PM by one-eyed »

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Pick 44. Matt Dea
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 07:19:32 PM »
Another utility from North Ballarat. Welcome aboard Matthew. :thumbsup
A player with a predominant basketball background.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 07:20:48 PM »
Any details?
H
W
Thoughts
Go Tigers!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:21:52 PM »
Matthew Dea
DOB: 13/10/91, Height: 186cm, Weight: 83kg
Recruited from: Ballarat Clarendon College /North Ballarat Rebels (VIC)

The former elite junior basketballer has rocketed up the order and now looks certain to be drafted. Dea has an exceptional vertical leap, explosive pace and the ability to play forward or back. His considerable scope for improvement is believed to be an attraction for the Lions. Adelaide and Collingwood are the other leading contenders, but he is now unlikely to last until the Pies' next pick (No.62). Dea captained the under-18 Country Victoria basketball team and was a member of the Victorian under-20 state team.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 07:22:58 PM »
Matt Dea

D.O.B:   13-Oct-1991
Club:   North Ballarat
State:   VIC
Height:   186cm
Weight:   82kg
Position:   Midfielder
Super athletic player whose tremendous leap makes him a formidable force in the air. Explosive pace at ground level and clean hands are features. Has a physical presence. Captain of Under-18 Country Victorian Basketball team. His 2.93 sec 20m at the Vic screening confirmed his pace and 74cm standing jump highlighted his leap (top 8%).

Video: http://offseasondraft.championdata.com/afl_off_season_draft/offSeasonDraft/player_profile.jsp?player_id=116140

Ramps

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 07:24:38 PM »
Matt Dea

D.O.B:   13-Oct-1991
Club:   North Ballarat
State:   VIC
Height:   186cm
Weight:   82kg
Position:   Midfielder
Super athletic player whose tremendous leap makes him a formidable force in the air. Explosive pace at ground level and clean hands are features. Has a physical presence. Captain of Under-18 Country Victorian Basketball team. His 2.93 sec 20m at the Vic screening confirmed his pace and 74cm standing jump highlighted his leap (top 8%).

Video: http://offseasondraft.championdata.com/afl_off_season_draft/offSeasonDraft/player_profile.jsp?player_id=116140

but can he play? just saw some highlights ... thank god there just highlights because hopefully theres more to see. On those highlights ... I cant see it  :-\

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 08:36:27 PM »
2009 National Draft - Matt Dea (Pick 44)

DOB: 13/10/91
Height: 186.3cm
Weight: 83.0kg
Club: Nth Ballarat Rebels, TAC Cup

What the recruiters say:
Matt has been a late starter to football having played basketball at elite junior levels for Victoria and for the Ballarat Nuggets in 2009 where he averaged over 10 points and 3 assists per game.

Matt was spotted by our recruiters playing for Ballart-Clarendon College early in 2009 and they monitored his progress closely before he came to play 3 games for the North Ballarat Rebels in the TAC Cup. He impressed with a 13 disposal, 5 mark, 5 rebound 50 performance against the Calder Cannons in only his 2nd TAC Cup game.

Matt impressed with his aerial ability at centre half back in games for his school, with his spring and sure hands a feature. Then he was also prominent as a fast leading forward out of the goal square where he his power and lateral movement helped him to kick 3 goals in a one quarter burst.

After only 3 games with the Rebels, Matt was invited to the Victorian Screening day in October where he was impressive with a 2.93sec 20 sprint, 8.44 sec agility run and a solid 13.5 beep test score.

Matt still has a lot to learn about the game of AFL football but the club is genuinely excited about his further development. He has shown tremendous natural athletic ability in his games and a courageous edge to his play in defence. The skill required to play at the highest level is a great one however Matt has already demonstrated rapid progress in this area. He will be looked on to initially be developed as a rebounding defender in his early years.

Matt Dea in his own words:

What type of player are you?
A very explosive player, who knows how to use their athleticism and size. Player with clean and strong hands, who can have an immediate impact.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Sam Fisher of St Kilda, because of his ability to play at both ends of the ground. More so because of the impact he can have on aerial contests, with regard to his size and athleticism.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Athleticism with a strong build. Strong hands, both at ground level and in the air. Good leg speed.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Game awareness and knowledge. The ability to know where to run in order to put myself in an attacking position.  Also, my skills under pressure.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Essendon.  My father supports them, hence I was not given much of a choice in the matter.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Shaun Moloney.  He was the coach of my school football team and exposed me to the desire and intensity that is needed to play footy at an elite level. Furthermore, despite him not being the most skilled footballer, he showed me what is really needed to succeed in football – that being an intense passion and commitment.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2010/2009NationalDraft/MattDea/tabid/15519/Default.aspx

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 10:38:19 PM »
Matthew Dea - Half Back Flank

:)

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 10:52:32 PM »
hope this bloke makes it.  i reserve judgement on him cos it's unfair to do so.  obviously athletic.  i wonder why we grabbed him so early.  perhaps a few clubs were lining up for him.  i think in the burgan mock he went no long after pick 44. so perhaps it was justified. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 10:54:27 PM »
I would say we stretched for Dea at 44 and he was more a late pick (50+) although Burgan had him going at 47. They would have seen how easily he's picked up footy in terms of awareness and knowing what to do out there under pressure (something lacking at Punt Rd). His versatility is also attractive as he can play forward, mid or down back and his leap allows him to play taller for someone of his midfielder height. A risk? Yeah sure as he's only played around 3 games but there's plenty of upside as well.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Harro80

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 10:57:14 PM »
The part in the vidio where he goes back with the flight of the ball like J.Brown just won me over.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 12:12:12 AM »
I actually realy like what I see.

Has sure hands. Nice relaxed kicking action. 1 thing that stands out that he doesn't muck around with the ball you never see him stopping, is constantly on the move when he gets the ball even when he marks in defence just plays on.

At Pick 44 what more could you ask for, compare him to Rance at pick 18 and I don't think you'd find many differences.

I really like the look of this kid.
Go Tigers!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 12:14:42 AM »
Already he is better than Raines. :lol

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 12:25:57 AM »
I am with you Pope Lord, I really liked what I saw in the video, if he was number 48, gee he has some go, I am going to tip this kid to play quite a few games next year and be our smokey.

Welcome Matt!!!!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 12:52:31 AM »
Yep he's #48 in the video clip.

Already he is better than Raines. :lol
Yep Dea definitely doesn't suffer from running on tramtracks lol.

Dea needs polishing still (so can we now trust our player development under Hardwick?) but what I like especially is his the vision even in traffic and how he's able to stand up in tackles and get the ball to a teammate in better position. He appears to keep his composure under pressure and doesn't panic. So un-Richmond like lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd