Author Topic: Lids gives the thumbs-up to 4 umps  (Read 732 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Lids gives the thumbs-up to 4 umps
« on: February 02, 2006, 05:28:16 PM »
Thumbs up for fourth ump
3:01:24 PM Thu 2 February, 2006
Scott Spits
Sportal for afl.com.au

Classy Richmond midfielder Brett Deledio has endorsed the AFL's plan to use four field umpires for the 2006 NAB Cup, saying the competition's elite midfielders need more protection.

"I think it will be good for them to be more closely watched. Maybe they can get a few free kicks and dominate a game like they should be because they are such good players," said the emerging 18-year-old, referring to star onballers such as Brownlow Medallist Chris Judd.

The 2006 NAB Cup - to commence on 24 February - will also be the first opportunity for fans to not only see their club's new players but also how the new rules to be introduced into this year's home-and-away season will pan out, especially the much-discussed change to the kick-in rule.

This rule - which enables players to bring the ball back into play immediately after a behind has been scored instead of having to wait for the goal umpires to finish waving their flags - has been trialled in previous pre-season competitions.

But the introduction of four field umpires will be closely monitored and will be one of the main talking points during the NAB Cup.

AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson indicated the fourth umpire would be positioned around ball-ups to detect any illegal holding behind play while the controlling umpire has his head down bouncing the ball.

The league has already flagged it plans to crack down on illegal holding tactics by taggers.

Deledio, the 2004 No.1 draft selection who made a massive impact in his first AFL season last year by playing all 22 matches for the Tigers and being voted the NAB Rising Star, said a fourth umpire was definitely worth trialling.

"For sure - you've got your superstars in Judd and those sorts of guys that are being tagged and roughed-up every week," he said at the launch of the pre-season competition.

Deledio said he hadn't been a victim of close attention from taggers - but his time will come.

"Ah, Not yet! I'm only one season in," he said.

"I haven't noticed it but a couple of the other guys at our club, they definitely say that they're getting roughed-up a little bit. I guess it's something that you have just had to work with in the past.

"But hopefully they can try and get it out of the game now."

http://afl.com.au/?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=244333

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Lids gives the thumbs-up to 4 umps
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 02:00:37 AM »
Taggers on notice with fourth ump
03 February 2006   
Herald Sun
Jon Anderson

NAB chief executive officer Ahmed Fahour said yesterday his organisation was keen to promote football at both AusKick level and in country areas.

"We want to reconnect with communities in Australia and we can do that by ways such as offering $1000 for every super-goal kicked in the NAB Cup, with that money going back to the player's junior club," Fahour said.

"For instance, if Brett Deledio kicks four NAB super-goals in the series, the Kyabram Junior Football Club will receive $4000 (a super-goal, kicked from outside 50m, results in nine points)."

Deledio welcomed the move, claiming he and Richmond teammate and fellow "Ky" boy Kayne Pettifer would be under pressure from their home town to send through several nine-pointers.

This time last year Deledio was preparing for his first pre-season game.

"I was that excited I wanted to be all serious, but just couldn't help having a big smile across my face as we ran out," Deledio said.

"I had no real expectations of what was going to happen but I'm a lot smarter now in how to work with my body. My weight was 83kg this time last year and now it's 88kg. I want to get to 90kg.

"Last year I aimed to play 10 or 12 games but (coach) Terry (Wallace) came to me mid-year and said let's go for 22.

"I wasn't going to say no to him and I ended up playing in the International Rules Series because physically I felt fine.

"My advice to the boys making their debut this year is don't get over-awed, just go out there like it's a practice match."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,18024252%255E20322,00.html