Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 194043 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond AFLW team [merged]
« Reply #870 on: October 25, 2021, 10:13:18 PM »
Sounds like we are sticking with Port Melbourne as our VFLW affiliate next year.

--------------

Mitch Skelly has wasted little time landing himself another plum role after being announced as Port Melbourne's new VFLW coach on Monday.

The sub-committee followed the same process we used (to appoint) our VFL head coach to ensure we were able to select the person who we felt would be best suited to the Port Melbourne Football Club, and who could hit the ground running and help to continue to build the partnership with Richmond FC AFLW program as well," Borough CEO Paul Malcolm told the club website.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/685863/skelly-pulls-into-port-to-take-vflw-reins

No surprise but bad call, very bad call

Only AFLW sdie that doesn't have a stand alone VFLW side

:banghead :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #871 on: October 26, 2021, 03:10:56 PM »
Sounds like we are sticking with Port Melbourne as our VFLW affiliate next year.

--------------

Mitch Skelly has wasted little time landing himself another plum role after being announced as Port Melbourne's new VFLW coach on Monday.

The sub-committee followed the same process we used (to appoint) our VFL head coach to ensure we were able to select the person who we felt would be best suited to the Port Melbourne Football Club, and who could hit the ground running and help to continue to build the partnership with Richmond FC AFLW program as well," Borough CEO Paul Malcolm told the club website.

I'd rather keep Neil Balme than have a standalone VFLW team

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #872 on: October 26, 2021, 05:41:25 PM »

--------------

Not sure of the link?

How do you equate Balmey staying and and a stand alone VFLW team?

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #873 on: October 26, 2021, 07:20:32 PM »

--------------

Not sure of the link?

How do you equate Balmey staying and and a stand alone VFLW team?

They both cost $ to keep. If the budget is tight which no doubt it is after the lost earnings the last 2 years and cuts have to be made then happy for it to start with the VFLW team.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #874 on: October 26, 2021, 09:01:33 PM »

They both cost $ to keep. If the budget is tight which no doubt it is after the lost earnings the last 2 years and cuts have to be made then happy for it to start with the VFLW team.

Ok see your point

But....

Balmey isn't part of the footy department, he doesn't fall under the footy department soft cap.

Women's program has its own cap (which wasn't cut I might add) so they are still 2 very different things and not linked

And can I ask would your view be different of it was VFL men's team that got flicked?

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #875 on: October 28, 2021, 02:37:28 AM »

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #876 on: October 31, 2021, 05:47:21 PM »
Shortest coaching appointment in history?

Our VFLW affiliate is again looking for a new coach.

Port Melbourne is back to square one in its hunt for a new VFLW coach after Mitch Skelly sensationally resigned on Saturday, just six days after being announced as the new mentor.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/686374/port-melbourne-coach-quits-six-days-after-taking-job

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #878 on: November 05, 2021, 02:50:10 AM »
Can the Tigers push for finals action?

womens.afl
5 November 2021

WILL Richmond improve enough to make finals in the 2022 NAB AFLW season?

The final episode of Credit to the Girls to focus on pre-season questions from listeners kicked off with all things Tigerland.

"I think the Tigers were the big improvers in 2021, but probably a greater spread of goals will be needed from the forward line. To see a more even spread and more midfielders pushing forward and kicking goals will help the Tigers," co-host Lucy Watkin said.

A more consistent season and a new addition in draftee Stella Reid should help the Tigers climb up the ladder.

"I reckon they'll be pushing for finals and be more competitive across the season than they were last year. I don't quite have them in my top six, I think there are still sides ahead of them," Sarah Black said.

"Courtney Wakefield is such a focal point up there, I'd love to see KB (Katie Brennan) up forward full-time, I think they're starting to develop the midfield depth to allow that. Christina Bernardi had a patchy season, but at her best, she was excellent.

"I'm not quite sure whether [Reid will] line up in the midfield or forward, but she can hit the scoreboard as well. I thought those smaller forwards was the one aspect the forward line was missing."

https://www.womens.afl/news/75704/listen-can-the-tigers-push-for-finals-action-

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #880 on: November 12, 2021, 04:41:16 PM »
10 questions with ... Tiger Jess Hosking

Sarah Black
womens.afl
12 November 2021

Who is your all-time favourite footballer or athlete?
Nick Riewoldt. Me and (twin sister) Sarah were Saints supporters, so we used to pretend to be Nick Riewoldt and Lenny Hayes in the backyard. We used to fight over who would be Nick, and if one of us couldn't do it after going for goal, we'd swap.

Who is the worst teammate on social media?
I would have to say Mon Conti. She loves herself. Nah, she's got a lot of content and I think she's worried about the numbers. She has to check all the numbers and check how many new followers she has.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a Postcards host, because I thought they did some really cool stuff. They got to try bungee jumping and all of that, and that's all I wanted to do.

Who is your toughest opponent?
I played on Stevie-Lee (Thompson) and Danielle Ponter at points during that (2019) Grand Final. I made the highlights reel for not being able to chase them down. That sticks out in my memory, and it's a bad highlight.

Which Olympic sport would you love to compete in?
Funnily enough, I used to do javelin and shotput, and I was a 1500m and 800m runner, until I realised I could just do javelin and shotput. You can go there for your quick event, and it doesn't matter what you eat or do, and you can just relax. But if we're going rogue, I would also say I'd like to do diving, because I reckon I would pull up some pretty horrific stacks, and it'd be funny.

Which teammate is most likely to go on and coach?
Not Mads Brac(atisano), she stands there with the high school kids and orders UberEats. I would say Katie (Brennan), because she's very serious and very knowledgeable.

Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?
"Sare" sleeps in her jumper the night before. But I used to have a little horseshoe charm that I'd tie to the strap of my sports bra. I then started to wear the same sports bra every week for each season.

What was the first concert you attended?
Justin Bieber was one of them, me and Sare were front-row seats at one. But prior to that, it was actually The Eagles. I was very young, but we've grown up with The Eagles in our household, and I'm very grateful because they make incredible music.

What is the non-football accomplishment of which you're most proud?
This is on par with making the Grand Final. I love food, and I did a parma challenge down at Carrum, 1.2kg of chicken parma and 500g of chips, and I did it in under 20 minutes and got my name on the leaderboard. It stayed down, I had dessert after, which was a bad choice. It was like I was giving birth that night.

Would you prefer to take Mark or Goal of the Year?
I think Mark of the Year. I've only kicked one goal in AFLW, and I think if you're speckying someone you can make it look spectacular. Goal of the Year, they're show-ponies anyway, most of them are forwards.

https://www.womens.afl/news/75957

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFLW: Katie Brennan to captain Richmond for a third season (RFC)
« Reply #881 on: November 12, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »
Richmond 2022 AFLW Leadership Group

Katie Brennan (captain)

Sarah Hosking (vice-captain)

Harriet Cordner (vice-captain)

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1030127/brennan-to-captain-richmond-aflw-for-a-third-season

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #882 on: November 15, 2021, 06:54:18 PM »
Today we continue our countdown with number 26, Richmond Women’s Ellie McKenzie.

Ellie McKenzie (RICHMOND)

League/s: AFLW, Vflw, AFLW U19 Championships, NAB League Girls

Season/s: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Games [tot]: 27

Goals [tot]: 12

Disposals [avg]: 15.3

Marks [avg]: 3.1

Tackles [avg]: 2.7

Cont. Poss: 2.9

Uncont. Poss: 2.5

Clearances: 1.6

Inside 50s: 2.9

Rebound 50s: 1

Just twelve months after being selected as the number one pick in the 2020 AFL Women’s National Draft, Richmond’s McKenzie has bolted her way into 26th for the league ahead of the 2022 season. Like Kate Hore in yesterday’s countdown, McKenzie was one who divided opinions, with some expecting a huge season from the teenager next year, whilst others were more conservative in their ranking. The powerful youngster has an outstanding highlight reel, and is not afraid to take the game on and break the lines.

It is always a challenge coming out of the Under 18s where you have been nominated as the best player in the country, and subsequently taken at Pick 1. The Northern Knights junior averaged 19 disposals and five marks for the Knights in her top-age season from just three games, showcasing her versatility. Even as a bottom-ager it was clear McKenzie was among the top few to be putting their hand up for AFL Women’s. She took to the elite level like a duck to water, averaging 15.6 disposals, 3.0 marks and 2.9 tackles, providing plenty of run between the arcs, and winning the hard ball. She booted four goals in her nine games, but has plenty more to come.

Being in a team that struggled at times, McKenzie was a shining light, as the Tigers showed improvement from their 2020 season, to give hope to fans for 2022. Their top selection in the draft is a huge reason behind it, and she could just as easily play forward, mid or even back if required, though her best work is done in the front half of the ground out of stoppages. Like Hore, McKenzie was a divided selection in this range, with all five of the eight lists putting her between 20-30, whilst the other three had her outside the Top 50. With everyone above McKenzie on at least seven – and predominantly all eight – lists, the Tigers talent is the highest ranked of those not in the complete consensus.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2021/11/12/rookie-me-centrals-collaborative-2022-afl-womens-top-50-countdown-26-ellie-mckenzie/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFLW: Tigers to play Saints in season opener @ Frankston (RFC)
« Reply #884 on: December 01, 2021, 07:47:33 PM »
Richmond's AFLW team will open the 2022 season against St Kilda under Friday night lights.

The Round 1 fixture was confirmed on Wednesday night, with the remaining rounds of the season to be announced on Thursday.

The Saints will host the Tigers in the season opener at Skybus Stadium, Frankston on Friday, January 7. The clash will begin at 7.15pm and be broadcast live on Channel 7.

The Round 1 match will mark the first time the two sides have met since 2020, when they were both in their inaugural season.

Ticketing details will be communicated when finalised.

AFLW Round 1, 2022
St Kilda v Richmond
Friday, January 7
Skybus Stadium, 7.15pm AEDT

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1035775/