Author Topic: Jacob Hopper [merged]  (Read 50241 times)

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jacob Hopper [merged]
« Reply #390 on: August 27, 2023, 07:06:03 PM »
Club won’t do it but I’d be looking to trade him

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #391 on: August 27, 2023, 07:22:00 PM »
I think he needs continuity. Hopefully no injuries and a proper preseason with a unified game plan will see him flourish

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #392 on: August 27, 2023, 07:23:04 PM »
Absolutely Simonator. Dees thought Grundy was their man and he isn't so he will go. We should do the same.

Somehow grab a first rounder for him, and hit the draft with 2 which is the position we should have been in :banghead

No wonder GWS was happy to let him go. They certainly have improved this year since he left.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #393 on: November 10, 2023, 02:58:24 PM »
Question borrowed from twitter/X:

Mid Jacob Hopper enters his 2nd season with us after an interrupted yr that tbh didn't reach preconceived expectations.
The affable 26 yr old, (on a long term deal) should be playing is best footy & when looking for areas of improvement I'm hoping for more..
Thoughts on Hops?

https://twitter.com/Tigers_of_Old/status/1722745690408079423

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #394 on: November 10, 2023, 03:07:01 PM »
Question borrowed from twitter/X:

Mid Jacob Hopper enters his 2nd season with us after an interrupted yr that tbh didn't reach preconceived expectations.
The affable 26 yr old, (on a long term deal) should be playing is best footy & when looking for areas of improvement I'm hoping for more..
Thoughts on Hops?

https://twitter.com/Tigers_of_Old/status/1722745690408079423

one of the worst first seasons ive seen a recruit play in many years.

get fit or trade/dump him at the end of the year along with Lukey boy.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #395 on: November 11, 2023, 06:17:05 AM »
He’s body is a bit of a concern.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #396 on: November 12, 2023, 09:02:21 PM »
Absolutely Simonator. Dees thought Grundy was their man and he isn't so he will go. We should do the same.

Somehow grab a first rounder for him, and hit the draft with 2 which is the position we should have been in :banghead

No wonder GWS was happy to let him go. They certainly have improved this year since he left.
the dees had Gawn and a young fella called Jackson. Jackson went west and the dees went with what they thought was the best option.
Back up for Gawn is probably still needed at the Dees.Getting Grundy was always going to be a dilemma. That Dilemma was fitting two good front line ruckmen into the one position.

We grabbed both Taranto and Hopper because we had no big bodied ball winning mids.
The need was huge because we had so few.Two big mids was needed   and if we open our eyes we need a few in development as well.
With Hopper the only question was the expense THE NEED IS STILL THE SAME..
Get rid of Hopper and we then have to find another like him because we are so obsesed with runts.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #397 on: November 12, 2023, 09:07:48 PM »
Agree claw we needed a big mid but lets look at his stats for a so called quality mid.  Not great! Someone else could have filled his spot this year, and for cheaper as well.

Yes he missed a few, but he did last year as well. How many full seasons has he played?

One of the biggest dissappoints of the year for me, and a major reason why dimma jumped a sinking ship IMO. He thought he would produce more and delivered sfa.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #398 on: November 15, 2023, 04:19:23 PM »
Agree claw we needed a big mid but lets look at his stats for a so called quality mid.  Not great! Someone else could have filled his spot this year, and for cheaper as well.

Yes he missed a few, but he did last year as well. How many full seasons has he played?

One of the biggest dissappoints of the year for me, and a major reason why dimma jumped a sinking ship IMO. He thought he would produce more and delivered sfa.
I agree we did not need to trade for him we had the opportunity to draft a few big mids ie the 2021 nd.

Like it or not though Frankie We did the deal and  over paid but its pointless to now get rid of him we still need some more big mids to develop while he is there..
 Its similar with our key forwards we desperately need two kids for development, and not these half forward half ruck but not quite either types we have been so fond of.
Personally i would have been happy if Jack had wanted to go around again.
Even at a slowing aging 34 yrs of age.. Because there is no one anywhere near his level there is no one because there is literally none
We are perpetually hedging our bets and putting our heads in the sand.. Its the same with Hopper.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #399 on: November 15, 2023, 11:37:42 PM »

I agree we did not need to trade for him we had the opportunity to draft a few big mids ie the 2021 nd.

Like it or not though Frankie We did the deal and  over paid but its pointless to now get rid of him we still need some more big mids to develop while he is there..
 Its similar with our key forwards we desperately need two kids for development, and not these half forward half ruck but not quite either types we have been so fond of.
Even at a slowing aging 34 yrs of age.. Because there is no one anywhere near his level there is no one because there is literally none
We are perpetually hedging our bets and putting our heads in the sand.. Its the same with Hopper.

We only overpaid for hopper because we finished 13th or whatever.

Tbh I think if Lynch hadn't gone down and another sliding door moment or two went our way that would have been pick 10-12 easily and it gets murky down there in the draft.

As for Jack, I doubt many were as sad to see him retire as me, but what's the point playing a 35yo bloke with a stuffed body when you acknowledge we're on the decline? Agree we haven't drafted and KPFs but with a guy like Kosi and then blokes like Bauer, Ryan, Miller all needing an opportunity there's really no point playing Jack anymore unfortunately.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #400 on: November 17, 2023, 03:59:25 PM »

Tbh I think if Lynch hadn't gone down and another sliding door moment or two went our way that would have been pick 10-12 easily and it gets murky down there in the draft.

As for Jack, I doubt many were as sad to see him retire as me, but what's the point playing a 35yo bloke with a stuffed body when you acknowledge we're on the decline? Agree we haven't drafted and KPFs but with a guy like Kosi and then blokes like Bauer, Ryan, Miller all needing an opportunity there's really no point playing Jack anymore unfortunately.
Nope we over paid and in the process have basically turned our backs on too many drafts.
It goes back before Hoppers time with us.
We just continue to fail to recognise where the game is going  what serious list short comings we have and where the list is at.

If Jack continued on who would he be taking games off? More to the point who is coming thru? who warrants a game.

Since 2017 we have bought into the club just three big ball winning mids that includes trades and all other avenues. You guessed it Taranto, Hopper both Trades and RC-D  a bust. Would add Ross but no way in hell can you classify him a big ball winning mid.

In all honesty we have been poor when it comes to recruiting since 2016.
People blame aging players for our decline but its more than that we are back to the bad old days where we just are not getting enough good players into the club.We totally ignore dire list needs.

We were going to go into decline but we have done little  to help ourselves and just blame it all on aging players.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #401 on: November 17, 2023, 04:46:45 PM »
Agree  needed a big mid but lets look at his stats for a so called quality mid.  Not great! Someone else could have filled his spot this year, and for cheaper as well.

Nope we over paid and in the process have basically turned our backs on too many drafts.
We just continue to fail to recognise where the game is going  what serious list short comings we have and where the list is at.

If Jack continued on who would he be taking games off? More to the point who is coming thru? who warrants a game.

Since 2017 we have bought into the club just three big ball winning mids that includes trades and all other avenues. You guessed it Taranto, Hopper both Trades and RC-D  a bust. Would add Ross but no way in hell can you classify him a big ball winning mid.

People blame aging players for our decline but its more than that we are back to the bad old days where we just are not getting enough good players into the club.We totally ignore dire list needs.

We were going to go into decline but we have done little  to help ourselves and just blame it all on aging players.

Claw you lost me since 2016. We won 3 flags from 2017 up to 2021 mate the ultimate success.

The fact is you pay for winning those flags being up the top not getting the high end draft picks. That's not to say we haven't did mistakes not drafting a few more key position player's and trading out a few in decline.l that's our mistake for me.

Yes aging players has alot to do with it we had our era and took it with both hands and we seen this before the cycle ends and you rebuild happened at the Lions, Hawks and now Cats that's no brainer.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #402 on: November 20, 2023, 12:14:04 AM »
West Coast has offered its future first-round selection while Adelaide has thrown up a swap of first-round picks, but the Giants would also want collateral from the Crows in next year’s draft.

The Eagles’ offer appears the most lucrative, particularly with a suite of elite midfielders at the top of next year’s draft.

If the Eagles finish last again next season and the Curtin trade is completed then the Giants would have turned Jacob Hopper into the No.1 pick at the 2024 draft.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/alastair-clarkson-meets-with-top-draft-prospect-daniel-curtin-in-perth/news-story/45866edd54ca87ac341d46c247b68f2c

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #403 on: November 20, 2023, 06:51:09 AM »
Blair should be fired for this trade. A stuffen disaster

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #404 on: November 20, 2023, 11:34:00 AM »
Agree  needed a big mid but lets look at his stats for a so called quality mid.  Not great! Someone else could have filled his spot this year, and for cheaper as well.

Claw you lost me since 2016. We won 3 flags from 2017 up to 2021 mate the ultimate success.

The fact is you pay for winning those flags being up the top not getting the high end draft picks. That's not to say we haven't did mistakes not drafting a few more key position player's and trading out a few in decline.l that's our mistake for me.

Yes aging players has alot to do with it we had our era and took it with both hands and we seen this before the cycle ends and you rebuild happened at the Lions, Hawks and now Cats that's no brainer.
I deliberately went from 2016 because the vast majority of premiership players were . there .What have we added to them and the answer smacks you in the face very little.

So what have we added to the list since the success began. Yes we have had later picks because of the success but just have a look at the overall recruiting it has been abysmal.