Author Topic: Jacob Hopper [merged]  (Read 50219 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jacob Hopper [merged]
« Reply #405 on: February 10, 2024, 07:26:50 PM »
HOPPER PRIMED TO TAKE NEXT STEP AS A TIGER AFTER STUTTERING FINISH TO 2023

By Seb Mottram
SEN
10 February 2024

Jacob Hopper is set for plenty of improvement in his second year as a Tiger.

That’s the word from the midfield recruit himself, who suggested his body is in far better shape than 12 months ago.

Hopper, who turned 27 on Tuesday, played 16 games after joining the Tigers from GWS on a seven-year deal.

But he didn’t play from Round 9 until Round 16 with a calf strain, with his form in the back half of the season mirroring that of his club as Richmond fell out of finals contention.

Billed as a key recruit alongside Tim Taranto – who claimed Richmond’s best and fairest in his first season as a Tiger – Hopper is hopeful he’ll be able to put his best foot forward in 2024.

“It was an interesting year. Obviously interrupted with some issues with my body which was disappointing, but I loved my first year at the Tigers,” Hopper told SEN Top End on his 2023 season.

“We didn’t have the on-field success that we were all striving for… I feel like my body is in a much better position this year, I’m feeling really good, and I’ve got a lot more work under my belt.

“And just naturally you feel more comfortable spending more time and feeling closer with the group… we’re feeling really ready to go for games this year.”

Hopper’s talent is seen through his 2021 Brownlow Medal performance when the tough on-baller gathered 15 votes in a stacked GWS midfield.

And while the Tigers aren’t tipped for much in 2024, Hopper’s resurgence could similarly resemble that of Adem Yze’s men.

CEO Brendon Gale has acknowledged the lowly expectations on his side by saying “I think we can surprise a few”, and Hopper has an alike belief.

Yze came from Melbourne to replace Damien Hardwick and while he’s got big shoes to fill, Hopper says the 46-year-old has certainly made a strong start.

“His ability to connect the group, not only to himself but with each other has been really recognizable, I’ve really felt that from the moment he stepped through the door,” he said.

“He’s just a great bloke, great character and more of the footy stuff, he’s super aggressive, invites us to play footy and play freely.

“I think we’re still figuring it all out but at the minute it feels really good, it feels like we’re going to play some good footy and we’re looking forward to the chance.”

The Tigers have a difficult start to the 2024 season, facing Gold Coast, Carlton, Port Adelaide, Sydney and St Kilda all before Round 5.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/02/10/hopper-primed-to-take-next-step-as-a-tiger-after-stuttering-finish-to-2023/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #406 on: February 11, 2024, 05:21:08 PM »
Jacob Hopper on Fridays In The Top End (9/2/24)

Richmond's Jacob Hopper joined Jackson Clark for a chat about pre-season training and the Darwin Community Camp.

LISTEN HERE: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4F2dSyDjHNm8hj3lCZRI0P

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #407 on: February 22, 2024, 01:01:36 AM »
From the HeraldSun:

The 27-year-old former Giant, who arrived at Punt Road last season on a mega contract until the end of 2029, said his body was in “much better nick” after repeat injuries kept him to 16 games in 2023.

“I’m feeling really good. There was a bit going on (with injuries last year), but I suppose it’s part of footy and sometimes you just have to deal with that and manage that as best you can,” Hopper said.

“Everyone’s on top of it, everyone’s got a better understanding of my body now being a year in, so we’re all feeling good about the year coming.”

A quirk of Hopper’s move from GWS to Richmond is that after the Opening Round clash against Gold Coast he will have played for five different senior coaches in just 24 games.

He said he was still excited by the different atmosphere brought by a change in coach, as he backed Adem Yze’s initiative to paint over an internal wall with images from the Tigers’ three premierships under Damien Hardwick.

“New faces, new philosophies, different messaging, different ways of doing things … it just creates natural change and an excitement, especially for guys who have known one way for so long,” Hopper said.

“To create that natural sort of change and new voice has got the whole group really bought in and excited about the year ahead and the footy that we’re going to play.

“I mean the (premiership references) are not down everywhere, because we definitely want to respect this great club that we play for and the success that they’ve had, but no doubt it’s such a new group.

“There’s so many new faces, so it’s about making it our own … the group we have now is what we are, and who we are is the Richmond Football Club.”

Source: HeraldSun.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #408 on: February 27, 2024, 10:22:41 PM »
 :facepalm
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #409 on: February 27, 2024, 10:28:40 PM »

Not sure why the angst with Hopper

Being at the game I thought hecwas one of better players by hand and in the decision making stakes. Will be interested to see how it shows on the replay

But he like Taranto, Dow and Baker had more handballs than kicks which was the our issue all night
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #410 on: February 27, 2024, 10:37:18 PM »
Yeah nah he was arse.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #411 on: February 27, 2024, 10:57:42 PM »

Being at the game I thought hecwas one of better players by hand and in the decision making stakes. Will be interested to see how it shows on the replay

But he like Taranto, Dow and Baker had more handballs than kicks which was the our issue all night

Agree

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #412 on: February 28, 2024, 02:57:48 PM »

Agree

The angst is because people blame him for the fact we gave up a future first for him which ended up being a good pick and handed him a 7 year contract on good coin like that was his decision to make.

His first season was poor both injury/form wise, so he has to own that, but people have defs turned on his already regardless of how he goes moving forward.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #413 on: February 28, 2024, 08:05:52 PM »

Biggest problem for me with him him when you add him to the three you mention and add the likes of  Prestia, Ross Graham the lack of pace is, well horrendous. they hand ball so much because they lack breakaway speed or an ability to buy time.

At some stage we will have to add leg speed and kicking ability into the team. We need to stop playing old slow players in positions other younger players are better suited to.

Just an opinion but atm for round freakin 0 ah stuff it im gunna call it round 1 then Grimes, Prestia, Ross, Nankervis inj, Ryan, McIntosh Graham and Pickett should not be picked and Hopper is also borderline.
 Atm i would rather we play McAuliffe in front of Hopper, Ross Graham and Hopper.

Keep saying it Brown to HB and move Rioli to a wing. Play Banks on the other wing keep Balta in defense when Lynch returns, and  play Gibcus instead of Grimes when Balta goes back.
Sonsie and Bolton rotating midfield forward. Dont play two ruckmen but get games into a very good mover in Bauer as the third tall alongside Koschitzke and Lynch when he returns. Then play three or so of the genuine pacey goal kicking fwd options we have in Campbell, Clarke, Cumberland Bolton instead of slow plodding mids who we look to find  spots to give a game to them.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #414 on: February 28, 2024, 09:05:01 PM »
Graham won't be playing round 1

Out for 3-5 weeks
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #415 on: February 29, 2024, 07:29:39 AM »
Hopper has underwhelmed since the day he was drafted with the exception of 1 year if i recall. I never rated him because i think other players can deliver a similar result.

Did the club just hand him a 7 year deal or did he request it  :shh You demand that kind of coin then deliver. I expect him to deliver more than dow but from what i have seen id say they are similar players always looking for the handball as they are extremely slow.

our midfield will be smashed again just like in previous year. Best we can hope for is a few draft picks to accelerate our climb again.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #416 on: March 09, 2024, 09:35:32 AM »
Hop to it: Tiger eager to put frustrating year behind him

Tigers midfielder Jacob Hopper is ready to put a difficult first season at the club behind him

By Josh Gabelich
afl.com.au
9 March 2024

LAST year wasn't what Jacob Hopper envisaged when he moved to Punt Road. First it was another knee issue. Then it was a calf strain, followed by the concussion on the Friday night stage. Not much went right amid a changing of the guard at Richmond.

The plan was to make an instant impact, especially after moving from Greater Western Sydney in a deal that cost the Tigers a future first-round pick. Tim Taranto was able to do that, winning the Jack Dyer Medal after also moving from the Giants, but Hopper was forced to deal with persistent injury headaches for the second straight year.

Hopper ended up playing 16 games in 2023 but was sidelined on three different occasions, carrying a lingering Achilles injury across the winter, which prevented him from training much between games. Recover, play, repeat.

It has been more than two years since Hopper established himself as a star midfielder when he was named in the 2021 All-Australian squad and finished third in the Kevin Sheedy Medal, before managing only seven appearances in 2022 due to multiple knee operations.

But now ahead of his second season at the Swinburne Centre, the 27-year-old has banked a six-month block since the end of last season that should lay the foundations for Hopper to return to his best across the next six months.

"Last year was incredibly frustrating, especially when you move clubs. All your intents and purposes are trying to make it as great as it could possibly be. There were some real frustrations with the body. To come off a year of not really playing much [in 2022] and then launching into the work created some different issues as well," Hopper told AFL.com.au at the Swinburne Centre this week.

"I had a lot of tendinitis issues with my Achilles, which was a nightmare, such a pain in the arse to manage. You can't do the work you want and you are always thinking of it. It was what it was. Then the calf strain was a pretty significant one. I think part of it was with missing so much footy the year before and naturally you lose some conditioning.

"Part of the challenge when you come to a big club and everyone expects so much is the noise can be pretty noisy. As hard as it can be sometimes, you just have to trust what's inside the building.

"It has felt refreshing and nice to have a good off-season – I think good off-seasons can really set you up for good pre-seasons and then good pre-seasons obviously set you up for good seasons – so it was good to come in for pre-season and feel like I had a lot of work under my belt and be able to do a lot more this pre-season."

Hopper left for Queenstown straight after the best and fairest with his partner, Liv Pellegrino, and then travelled from New Zealand to the United States with former teammates Josh Kelly and Adam Kennedy, stopping in Los Angeles, Austin and New York.

Under the direction of Richmond's physical performance manager Luke Meehan, veteran physiotherapist Andrew Schache and rehab coordinator Marcus Krygger, Hopper has dotted his i's and crossed his t's to bulletproof his body ahead of a 2024 campaign that starts on the Gold Coast on Saturday.   

Part of his spring and summer program involved Pilates classes at a Brighton studio, where Richmond great Trent Cotchin is a director. 

"I think it is important to find new things. Pilates is something that I've got really into. To be able to go in there and really sweat as well, because it's in the heat, that was good to go and do some of that finer work that can be mundane and boring," Hopper said.

"I've done a lot of treatment and really focused on the gym. I think I know I'm going to get to work out here in the more obvious footy places, but I think in those spaces like the gym or the Pilates room.

"I've worked really closely with the high performance guys at the club that have put together a program that will hold me in the best stead. I committed to that process from the moment last season finished to make sure I've been on top of my body so I could hit the ground running at the start of pre-season. to see how much those guys care as well, is special."

For Hopper, this year isn't about proving anything to anyone other than himself. Making a big-money, long-term move was always going to attract forensic examination. Just ask Taranto. Even he copped more than his fair share, despite producing a career-best season that resulted in 19 Brownlow votes.

"I don't have a point to prove to anyone else, it's more to myself; I want to contribute in ways that I know I can. Regardless of what anyone else thinks or says, I want to be part of something special here. I feel like I can," he said.

"At the end of the day you want to let your footy do the talking, but I feel really good and feel like I'm well and truly ahead of where I was at this time last year, which creates its own confidence. No doubt there is still that element of wanting to prove it to yourself and to everyone else.

"I feel genuinely excited to start the season and play the footy I know I can play personally and as a group as well. As a group, we certainty didn't have the year we anticipated. The feeling around the group is different, but it does feel like we are ready for it. We are ready."

Hopper left Greater Western Sydney after it finished 16th and went from Leon Cameron to Mark McVeigh, before eventually hiring Adam Kingsley. He thought he was arriving to play under Damien Hardwick for most, if not all, of his contract. But that changed in May.

The Riverina region product, who boarded at St Patrick's College Ballarat, doesn't waste time dwelling on the past. He has built a strong connection with new senior coach Adem Yze across the pre-season and is confident in the direction of the club.

"He is the sort of guy who you meet him for the first time and you feel like you've known him for ages. He is quite personable, connects on a really deep level and you feel that on a daily basis, just because he is so approachable," he said.

"I've really enjoyed just knowing that he is my coach and is going to be my coach going forward. It is something I haven't been able to tap into for the last couple of years because of so much change, so much movement.

"To be like this is my guy for the next whatever [period of time], I'm loving that relationship and being able to lean in. He allows for it to be collaborative out there, which feels so natural and organic."

After two years of injuries, Hopper is ready to get back to work this weekend, after getting the work done this summer.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1082722/hop-to-it-richmond-tiger-jacob-hopper-eager-to-put-frustrating-year-behind-him

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #417 on: March 09, 2024, 12:42:10 PM »
rubbish, you have a point to prove to the club and supporters to get your body right as so far in your career you have failed to do that.

You took the cash now show us that you can deliver like your mate TT has so far.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #418 on: March 09, 2024, 07:15:24 PM »
absolute waste of a pick and dollars was this bloke.

where would we be without him? I know. the same stuffin place

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #419 on: March 09, 2024, 07:42:09 PM »
If he turns in another year like last year we should just bite the bullet like the Toffs did with Grundy....otherwise he and & old Peg Leg Prestia will just be taking games off the likes of Sonsie & McAullife and whatever hopefully young gun mid we draft for next year...... :shh

- Thomas Sowell