Author Topic: A New Draft Rule  (Read 1190 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
A New Draft Rule
« on: February 03, 2011, 01:42:32 PM »
What is everyones thoughts on if Draftees have been a member for an AFL club for more than (x) amount of years that club can use a father son type/ loyalty type selection.

IE: Brodie Smith has a 70 year rich history of social life members, and nearly got a P.A tat when they won the flag with his Dad. He now has been drafted to Adelaide the team he's hated his whole life.

I understand the whole, you get drafted and you'll play anywhere, I just think there is room for some sentiment in footy and seeing a draftee play for his family barracked club can only be a good thing.

Imagine if we could have taken Scully as our Loyalty Supported player last year as well as Dusty?

Like anything it has holes and negatives (Interstate teams lose out having less following and Collingwood would be favoured having a bigger supporter base) but just a thought especially for some die hard families that pour money into our clubs with signing themselves and their kids up for years only to see them play for the enemy..
Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: A New Draft Rule
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:37:06 PM »
The WA and SA sides would gain a massive advantage. You'd also find clubs especially the wealthy ones rorting the system by paying parents to sign up their kids as members as soon as a kid showed some footy talent. Remember some kids are spotted as early as the U12s as Cotch and Cyril Rioli were and then recruiters follow their progress up through the ranks to the U18s.

Apart from Scully I can hardly think of any kids drafted recently who were Tiger supporters. Alex Gilmour was one and what a successful pick at 21 that turned out to be  :P. We've been bad enough onfield without imagining Lids running around for the Blues  :-X. I think Cotch barracked for Carlton as well as a kid :help.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:02:18 AM »
Cotch was a cats man.  Lids was Carlton.

Fev went for the Tiges.  Kieran Harper (went to North Melb this year) went for the Tiges.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 12:21:45 AM »
Fev went for the Tiges. 
That's all we need  :lol

Going back a bit Timmy Watson and Crawf were Tiger supporters. Crawf has been very pro-Tigers pro-Hardwick in his press articles since he's retired so the Tiger supporter might still be in his veins.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

gerkin greg

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 08:58:32 AM »
Koby Stevens

Con65

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:54:23 PM »
Pop, nice inventive thinking but can never see it working...

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 05:19:17 PM »
quite possibly the craziest idea of 2011...we have a leader folks ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »
I thinkgays should get drafted to demons.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 08:49:12 PM »
sam blease, jed lamb , kieran harper, errrr, tom scully all supported the tiges...always dissapoints to lose one from the flock but on the flip side we gain a few ea year
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

gerkin greg

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »

i think they're well looked after
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ5-mkqIo0o

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 07:56:59 PM »

i think they're well looked after
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ5-mkqIo0o

Sorry didn't realize the AFL already implemented it.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.