Author Topic: Tiger defender to follow the thin blue line  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Tiger defender to follow the thin blue line
« on: February 07, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »
By Luke Holmesby 12:57 PM Mon 07 Feb, 2011

AS DISCUSSION heats up about AFL players having work interests outside of football, Richmond defender Kelvin Moore is already putting a plan in place for life as a past player.

Moore, who has played 84 games in seven years for the Tigers, has an ambition to join the police force at the end of his career.

The 26-year-old is undertaking work experience with Victoria Police along with teammates Shaun Grigg and Shane Edwards, in the hope of securing a career with the force.

He says the work is helping provide balance to his football-dominated life.

"Footy is such a stressful lifestyle. I love playing footy but you need something to take your mind off it," Moore told afl.com.au.

"Everyone at the club is either studying or working outside footy, which holds them in good stead for life after football."

Players pursuing non-football careers have been a hot discussion point in recent weeks following the recent transgressions of four St Kilda players on a trip to New Zealand.

The Saints and the AFL Players Association have used the incident to stress the need for footballers to pursue education or work outside playing.

Not that it seems to be a concern for Moore who has already identified his main area of interest as working in the dog squad.

"We're interested in the force and we're going to do a bit of work in different fields so we can get an idea of what we really want to do," he said.

But the low-profile Tiger has no plans to give up his day job just yet.

He has hopes to build on his eighth place finish in the club best and fairest last year but knows that as a key defender at Punt Rd there is more than enough competition for his position.

"With Dave Gourdis, Will (Thursfield) down there and Luke McGuane there are a few tall defenders down there," he said.

"I think that's what builds a good footy club though, the more pressure there is for spots, that's what you want."

It hasn't been an ideal summer for Moore who has had injury interruptions along the way. But he said he was ready and firing for a big 2011.

"I missed a chunk of the pre-season but we're coming into game time now where you can really stand up," he said.

"Overall Richmond has had a really good pre-season and we're looking forward to playing the games in the NAB Cup."

Moore's footy interests don't end at Richmond as he keeps a watchful eye on little brother Andrew's progress with Port Adelaide.

The younger Moore played seven games in his first season for the Power last year and is set for bigger things, according to Kelvin.

"He's going well. He really likes it over there. I think they're a great club as well. They've got a lot of young guys coming through and he gets on well with them. Most importantly, he is really enjoying his footy," he said.

"It is hard (being interstate). There are a bunch of young guys there so it makes it a bit easier. He gets the opportunity to come home over the holidays. My parents go over there a fair bit which is good."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/107390/default.aspx

gerkin greg

Re: Tiger defender to follow the thin blue line
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 03:41:18 PM »
dweeb

"We're interested in the force and we're going to do a bit of work in different fields so we can get an idea of what we really want to do," he said.

And who the stuff is we? Royal dweeb

red

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 04:21:34 PM »
dweeb

And who the eff is we? Royal dweeb
"we" is Edwards, Grigg and Moore, your highness.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 04:39:59 PM »
I think it is great to see footy players planning for a career outside AFL! A lot of players head bush or to the burbs but eventually their careers must end somewhere!

gerkin greg

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 05:01:58 PM »
dweeb

And who the eff is we? Royal dweeb
"we" is Edwards, Grigg and Moore, your highness.

:-[
nice work ranga  ;D

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 08:25:49 PM »
Hahaha Gerk you useless prick

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 11:24:54 PM »
Kel won't be the first Tiger in the blue. Emmett Dunne is a copper as well as assistant commissioner up in the Mallee last I heard.

He has hopes to build on his eighth place finish in the club best and fairest last year but knows that as a key defender at Punt Rd there is more than enough competition for his position.

"With Dave Gourdis, Will (Thursfield) down there and Luke McGuane there are a few tall defenders down there," he said.
Sadly there's a strong chance at least 2 of the 3 won't be at Punt Rd this time next year. Our key defence is still a major concern even with Astbury looking a promising potential CHB.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 05:59:49 AM »
Kel won't be the first Tiger in the blue. Emmett Dunne is a copper as well as assistant commissioner up in the Mallee last I heard.

Sadly there's a strong chance at least 2 of the 3 won't be at Punt Rd this time next year. Our key defence is still a major concern even with Astbury looking a promising potential CHB.

I'm pretty sure Rex Hunt served for a time also.

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 07:28:52 AM »
Yep Rex hunt was on the force.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 08:25:13 AM »
Don't forget Jack Dyer!

gerkin greg

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 08:54:40 AM »