Author Topic: Houli re-signs until end of 2014  (Read 1685 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Houli re-signs until end of 2014
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:17:17 PM »
Bachar Houli re-signs at the Tigers

Sam Landsberger
    June 27, 2012 11:41AM

EXCITING Richmond defender Bachar Houli's AFL resurgence took another big step today with the dashing Tiger inking a new deal to stay at Punt Rd until the end of 2014.

Houli, snaffled from Essendon at the end of the 2010 season, has been a standout under Tigers coach Damian Hardwick this year.

"We identified Bachar as a player who could add significant value to our team, and we’re thrilled he has decided to extend his time at the club," Richmond football manager Craig Cameron said.

"He is one of our hardest-working players, and has been rewarded with his success so far.

"He is a fantastic leader around the place and a role model in the community."

Houli could muster just 26 matches at the Bombers under then-coach Matthew Knights but has already added another 31 to his career tally at Richmond.

Houli, 24, has picked up 20 or more disposals eight times this year, including an impressive 26 possessions in the watershed victory against Sydney in Round 7.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/bachar-houli-re-signs-at-the-tigers/story-e6frf9jf-1226409976353

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Houli re-signs until end of 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »
Didn't he have like five 30 possession games last year?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:49:27 PM »
Hasn't been quite as effective this season and some defensive lapses remain but overall am still happy to have him re-signed.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bachar Houli on SEN - 27/6
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
Bachar will be on SEN soon after the 6pm news to talk about his new contract ...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:58:54 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger Houli spreads AFL message (Ninemsn)
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 06:05:20 PM »
Tiger Houli spreads AFL message
Melissa Woods
wwos.ninemsn.com.au
Wed Jun 27 2012

Richmond defender and AFL multi-cultural ambassador Bachar Houli has celebrated his Tigers re-signing by spending the day with Islamic school kids playing for a cup named in his honour.

The first practising Muslim to line up in the AFL, Houli organised the round-robin tournament for eight Islamic schools in Melbourne, and even led them in prayer at the ground.

A fringe player at Essendon before signing with the Tigers in the 2010 pre-season draft, Houli has proved an excellent recruit and was rewarded with a new two-year deal.

Houli said he loved playing at the Tigers under coach Damien Hardwick, who umpired the final of his tournament.

"I came to the club aiming to play as many games as possible, and to play every game so far is great for myself and my family," 24-year-old Houli said.

"To be secure for another two years is quite rewarding."

Houli used to sneak out of home to play football before his family accepted his love of the game.

He said soccer was predominantly the Islamic students' main game but they were embracing Australian Rules.

He hoped to turn the one-day event into a formal competition among the schools.

Before this weekend's multi-cultural round, Hardwick described hard-working Houli as a "fantastic individual".

"To learn about Bachar's religion and what he does to prepare for AFL football with regard to that.

"He's a wonderful young man who's going to do great things for this game."

And he had another reason for wanting Houli to stay a Tiger.

"The bonus is his mum makes fantastic tabouli which is dropped off at the Hardwick household once a fortnight which is great."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8490544

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:28:12 PM »
Good back up player

dwaino

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »
Good to see he got 2 years, instead of 3. I'm a Houli fan and reckon he'll be a long term player in our starting 18, but I guess he's been given 2 years to improve on certain areas of his game. And I'm confident he will  :shh ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Bachar Houli on SEN - 27/6
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 07:59:54 PM »
Bachar will be on SEN soon after the 6pm news to talk about his new contract ...
Here's the audio of Bachar's interview talking and like and footy [9:15 mins]

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Richmond-defender-Bachar-Houli/5049

gerkin greg

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 04:33:51 PM »
should have put in an appearance at the Auburn Tigers when up here for the GWS game, or held the pre-game function at Auburn RSL and invited them

Muslim team minutes from Homebush

Instead they went to Paddington again, a Swannies stronghold

:nope

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 06:10:43 PM »
Agree with "Good to see he got 2 years, instead of 3. I'm a Houli fan and reckon he'll be a long term player in our starting 18, but I guess he's been given 2 years to improve on certain areas of his game. And I'm confident he will"

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 08:24:34 PM »
Good to see he got 2 years, instead of 3. I'm a Houli fan and reckon he'll be a long term player in our starting 18, but I guess he's been given 2 years to improve on certain areas of his game. And I'm confident he will  :shh ;D

What areas are you confident he will improve in? A ballsack is not easy to grow after 25 years. No offense Bachar.
Can play though ;D Was good last year and been solid this year. Definitely not Helmut's worst re-signing.

dwaino

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »

What areas are you confident he will improve in? A ballsack is not easy to grow after 25 years. No offense Bachar.
Can play though ;D Was good last year and been solid this year. Definitely not Helmut's worst re-signing.

I get the impression that he is drilled to be an outside player and to not get in and under so we can use his elite kick (which has been a bit average this year  ;D). IMO he's a required piece of the game plan, and as it sinks in with the team more and becomes more second nature, he will have more impact and through experience through trial and error his decision making will improve on when to attack or when to play seagull.

Last year we relied on him heaps to set up play and that's why he was putting up big numbers. When opposition tried to make him accountable we switched the play through Deledio (I think it was Longmire who said in a post-game presser that they struggled with this aspect of our setup). But now with Deledio in the midfield, our other options like Newman aren't as damaging as Deledio and the opposition are now accounting for Houli with their anti-quarterback forward.  :shh

Just what I reckon anyway.

the claw

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »
hmm basically a two yr contract i can live with that. i still have houli pencilled in as one of my leopards where the spots dont change and they relapse.going by camerons record im surprised he never got a 5 yr deal.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 11:41:22 PM »
hmm basically a two yr contract i can live with that. i still have houli pencilled in as one of my leopards where the spots dont change and they relapse.going by camerons record im surprised he never got a 5 yr deal.

Bachar is a glass-half-full leopard-clogger at best. Delist.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 12:15:17 AM »
hmm basically a two yr contract i can live with that.

Yeah 2 years is reasonable for his output.