Author Topic: How should our picks in 2005 be used  (Read 2114 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
How should our picks in 2005 be used
« on: August 22, 2005, 07:32:04 PM »
It is very likely that we will end up with picks 8, 24, 50 and 56 seeing as Carlton,
Hawthorn and Collingwood a likely to lie down to pick up priority picks and Essendon isn't going to catch up to us. I reckon we should use our picks like below:

Pick 8 (round 1): Gun key forward eg Todd grima, josh kennedy, beau dowler (last one unlikely). Richo will retire in a couple of years so we need a replacement for him.

Pick 24 (round 2): Solid key defender to replace either gas or chubba in the coming years. eg Matthew Sphanger

Pick 40 (round 3): Running midfielder with explosive pace. Plough indicated in The Age that he thought we lacked enough leg speed. Eg Ryan Anderson

Pick 56 (round 4): Justin Longmuir type ruckman. Stafford is likely to retire, that leaves us with only two real ruckman (Pattison is primarily a forward). Don’t really know of any player to fit this category though

In the rookie draft I reckon we should opt for some key position prospects to add to the depth of talls.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: How should our picks in 2005 be used
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 10:16:03 PM »
I've liked what i have heard about Josh Kennedy!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 05:17:03 AM »
Go with best available player :thumbsup especially with our first round pick. That may still be a tall as the four sides below us need midfielders more than anything else. Grima played in Division 2 with Tassie in the U18 champs which is a weaker standard than Division 1 with SA, WA and the two Vic teams.

We could end up with another pick (say a second rounder) through trading.

I also hope we have a few more dollars to use the rookie list on some raw talls with talent like Thursfield. That's how the Crows got both their key defenders in Rutten and Bock. If you're smart it can be done. 

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 06:54:35 AM »
we need more fast runing players.
we have kids like shulz, patterson, archibald , mguane moore ect who can develop into kpp, the game is changing we need more fast running highly skilled kids

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 09:59:41 AM »
Heres some wordly advice....

pick someone with a brain. We sign someone else who cant make decisions and I will tear down the G next year on my own.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 04:49:05 PM »

pick someone with a brain. We sign someone else who cant make decisions and I will tear down the G next year on my own.

Good idea - but I think you can only draft footballers so the brain concept is out the window. What's the go with that young Monteath fellow - a F/S option?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 06:52:41 PM »

Never a truer word spoken  :thumbsup

Good idea - but I think you can only draft footballers so the brain concept is out the window. What's the go with that young Monteath fellow - a F/S option?

LOL PS  ;D

I haven't heard anything but Monteath didn't make the WA squad for the U18 champs and plays at WA colts level so the F/S option (pick 40) might be out the window. Putting him on the rookie list looks more realistic if he is drafted.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 07:51:36 PM »
I think Bluey's on the money with the number of picks. Pick 8 would be a good place to start I reckon ;)

Despite Gerard Healy's assertion during the game on Sunday that Tezza needs to "cut to the bone again this season" I don't think we will cut that many. Greg Miller spoke pre-match and made the comment that the depth of the draft this season is not as good as the last couple (seems everyone is saying that) so I just cannot see them making 8-9 changes this year.

With the rules saying you have to make at least changes I reckon we are looking at 4-5 maximum (subject to trade week of course)

More than anything I'd like to see us take 3 rookies
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 08:33:33 PM »

I agree, Look at Deledio. He is already teaching some more experienced players a few things about football smarts. We really are guilty of playing dumb football sometimes and I think we need to brain up! Either that or fill the boys up with eggs in the pre-season.
No more planks please!!

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 05:41:08 AM »

Agree om, give me a cripple with a footy brain over an Olympian without one anyday.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 06:36:20 AM »
whispers in the wind have told me the tigers will chase wirrapunda, he has maturity , experiance, strength, pace , atacking defender and a footy brain.  just what we need

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 04:35:34 PM »
whispers in the wind have told me the tigers will chase wirrapunda, he has maturity , experiance, strength, pace , atacking defender and a footy brain.  just what we need

No doubt he isn't all those things but because of them the Eagles you'd reckon would want a first round pick in exchange for him. And at 26 (he'll turn 27 next year) he doesn't fit into the 21-25 age bracket that were missing from our list.

Offline strav

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 11:14:35 PM »

Is this for real or is someone having us on. Mind you, this is not the first time I've heard this rumor. I assume your source is reliable. It would be great to have him at Richmond. :thumbsup