Author Topic: who to leave out?  (Read 1036 times)

blx

who to leave out?
« on: January 12, 2006, 12:41:14 PM »
sorry, another boredom breaker. same players different name (sounds like alot of bands i've played in  :P)

I was havin a think (it hurt too ;D) about the introduction of the younger players into our side over the next few years and sheesh i couldnt decide on the players to send back to the burgs to give the younguns a run.

aside from your chaffs and tivvers maybe Kraks? Kellaway? Petts? Hall :o?

At some point you've gotta make the hard descision and drop someone back to give a new guy a run. Its easy once the season starts cause you can pick n choose through form but for now i hear people saying "i hope so n so gets a good run this year" and "it's gonna be such n such's breakthrough year"...YES but at whose expense?

Its good to say, give him a go, give that youngun a go, and so we should but who do you leave out?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: who to leave out?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 12:59:31 PM »
Well fortunately there will probably be a couple of retirements - Stafford, maybe Kellaway - so that makes it a bit easier.

Throw in a few injuries - there will always be someone out with a "hammy", groin etc - so the key IMO is to give the kids a run when those opportunities come up.

I think if Simmonds and Pattison are going well then Knobel may have some time at Coburg  :-\

It's a toughie
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 04:05:15 PM »
at this stage of the journey, i really would like to have such a problem.

I wouldn't be too concerned at this stage because our youngsters are very very unproven, nad have a long way to go before they even at the class or a Kellaway or Pettifer....sadly :(

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 05:18:59 PM »
Wallace wants to play Patto at CHF this year but after only playing 2 games in 2005 it's a big call to expect him to fill the role for 22 weeks. When he is playing alongside Simmonds then either Stafford or Knobel will have to make way. Staff has only played half a year the past 2 years due to injury (and suspension) so that decision may work itself out as WP alluded to.

A spot for Thursfield only opened up once Chubba went down. I guess Moore is also vying for that 3rd defender role too. Based on last year's form Kellaway still deserves his spot. He had his best year ever IMO and him copping that broken jaw and missing 6 weeks through us out of wack.

Same goes for Gas. Then it's a choice b/w Hall and Sarge for CHB. Maybe over time will move Gas into a Mark Graham role of fill-in downback leaving the other two to hold down CHB and FB. Unless Thursfield has grown another inch taller then I don't reckon he'll become our future FB.

In the midfield - (X you'll like this lol) Johnson will eventually move out onto a HB flank allowing Cogs, Tuck, Lids, Tambling, Hyde, Polo and co to rotate through the centre. Cogs, Tuck and Polo as ballwinners with others as speedy clearers. Lids will do both. Polo hasn't cracked a game yet so a big call to expect him to jump in and play a major role yet. Sugar will still need to Like Terry said in his article today the main guys who you would expect to step up are the 4-5 year guys on our list. Midfielders are easier to introduce and develop as they are rotated anyhow. In fact we need 10-12 decent ones. So if one of our youngsters shows any major improvement (say Foley proves doubters like me wrong), Wallace can simply place more faith in him by giving him more time in the guts while pushing a senior player out onto a flank where the extra class and experience can create havoc. A win-win for us.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 05:46:10 PM »
sorry, another boredom breaker. same players different name (sounds like alot of bands i've played in  :P)

I was havin a think (it hurt too ;D) about the introduction of the younger players into our side over the next few years and sheesh i couldnt decide on the players to send back to the burgs to give the younguns a run.

aside from your chaffs and tivvers maybe Kraks? Kellaway? Petts? Hall :o?

At some point you've gotta make the hard descision and drop someone back to give a new guy a run. Its easy once the season starts cause you can pick n choose through form but for now i hear people saying "i hope so n so gets a good run this year" and "it's gonna be such n such's breakthrough year"...YES but at whose expense?

Its good to say, give him a go, give that youngun a go, and so we should but who do you leave out?

Krakouer is an intersting one. He plays in a postion (forward pocket/crumber) where event he best players are going to struggle to put together consitant games. I get the feeling in a good side he'd be brillant. That said he is at current too inconsitant and doesnt have enough good games. He's got a 3 year, large contract so Wallace has him in his first team plans. IMO near the best hands in the league. If he can take his game to another level there is no reason he shouldn't be our forward pocket for another 10 years. Still quiet young - younger than Davey (or there abouts) people forget this.

You can't drop Hall or Pettifer fromt he 22. Both came of age last season and were solid.

IMO -

- Don't just 'give the kids a run'.
 - Pick our best 22 every week and drop the schit player and give games to the kids who has earned it.

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 05:53:03 PM »
Wallace wants to play Patto at CHF this year but after only playing 2 games in 2005 it's a big call to expect him to fill the role for 22 weeks. When he is playing alongside Simmonds then either Stafford or Knobel will have to make way. Staff has only played half a year the past 2 years due to injury (and suspension) so that decision may work itself out as WP alluded to.

A spot for Thursfield only opened up once Chubba went down. I guess Moore is also vying for that 3rd defender role too. Based on last year's form Kellaway still deserves his spot. He had his best year ever IMO and him copping that broken jaw and missing 6 weeks through us out of wack.

Same goes for Gas. Then it's a choice b/w Hall and Sarge for CHB. Maybe over time will move Gas into a Mark Graham role of fill-in downback leaving the other two to hold down CHB and FB. Unless Thursfield has grown another inch taller then I don't reckon he'll become our future FB.

In the midfield - (X you'll like this lol) Johnson will eventually move out onto a HB flank allowing Cogs, Tuck, Lids, Tambling, Hyde, Polo and co to rotate through the centre. Cogs, Tuck and Polo as ballwinners with others as speedy clearers. Lids will do both. Polo hasn't cracked a game yet so a big call to expect him to jump in and play a major role yet. Sugar will still need to Like Terry said in his article today the main guys who you would expect to step up are the 4-5 year guys on our list. Midfielders are easier to introduce and develop as they are rotated anyhow. In fact we need 10-12 decent ones. So if one of our youngsters shows any major improvement (say Foley proves doubters like me wrong), Wallace can simply place more faith in him by giving him more time in the guts while pushing a senior player out onto a flank where the extra class and experience can create havoc. A win-win for us.

If Patto does make it I really doubt it will be as a A-Grade AFL CHF. I see him more as a mobile ruckman. I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't think he has the tools to make it in the hardest spot on the ground. Either way he is a long way away from being quailty at the top level and needs alot more Coburg games and another pre-season or 3.

Stafford will miss games. I'd consiter dropping Knobel as around the ground he is woeful. Chaffey, Tivendale, Moore, Roach are other I don't want getting too many games.

I hope Thursfield continues to inprove but I fear he is slightly overrated by Richmond fans (Jackson this time 12 months ago). Still very raw.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 07:18:10 PM »
CB - No way is Thursfield as hyped up as Jackson was at the end of 2004.

Jackson was the 2nd coming of Michael Voss, Thursfield just looks to have some potential!

blx

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 09:01:41 PM »
as weve seen with alot of youngsters, they get a taste in their first year and the supporters go yeah he's great and will do this... will do that... but only to end up spending their second year at the burgs chipping away at what they've been told to chip away at. read Harts, Jackson, Moore and maybe thirsty.

No big deal really, in fact i think its the wise way to do it. They get a good taste of whats required of them and then are told that these are the things you need to work on before you get another oportunity and if you can step back and improve on those then ... blahdy blahdy blah...