Author Topic: Tiges off to Ballarat in February  (Read 5639 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiges off to Ballarat in February
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2006, 08:58:22 PM »
No, just one dodgy phone with an old woman on one end going "hey sonny, what did you say", "what was that", with a frustrated MT on the other end pulling his hair out lol.  My hearing ain't the best  :wallywink

:rollin

State of the art technology of course

:ROTFL

PS:  I did get it wrong in the Ring-ins for Royals (replace Limp with F.A.G.G.)  :rollin
True lol.  How i got limp i have no idea and still laughing myself silly here  :ROTFL
Just worked it out - swear filter doesn't like F.A.G.G. and replaced with Limp lol

Didn't realise the swear filter, filtered that  ;D learn something new everyday
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Learmonth intra-club game photos
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2006, 09:59:01 PM »
Intra-club game

Thumbnails:

Royals (Whites) // Kings (Blacks)

Hartigan dodges Joel while Richo shepards // Blacks head forward

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace dusts off old plan to keep Richmond on run (The Age)
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2006, 04:11:13 AM »
Wallace dusts off old plan to keep Richmond on run
By Emma Quayle, Learmonth
The Age
February 9, 2006

A FRESHER Matthew Richardson will front a forward line Richmond coach Terry Wallace will tell to keep attacking this season. So long as the Tigers are not conceding too many goals.

Wallace, who this time last year pledged to turn his new team into one of the competition's most free-running, high-scoring and exciting sides, said Sydney's defensive success last year, and the occasional beltings handed to the Tigers, had not turned him off the idea.

Richardson kicked four final-quarter goals on defender-in-the-making Jay Schulz yesterday in a full-scale practice match in which young defender Daniel Jackson found his forward-line feet, Dean Limbach looked increasingly comfortable and recruit Cleve Hughes took encouraging marks.

"I think there's both aspects. Everyone talks about the defensive aspect of Sydney, but West Coast lost a grand final by a kick and were the exact opposite," Wallace said.

"They were a fast-running, fast-flowing side, and the Western Bulldogs were as good as anyone in the second half of last year as a free-running, free-flowing side.

"I think you've got to do both. We've got to pick up the defensive side of our game, as well, because we had some big scores kicked against us.

"When we got beaten, we usually got beaten badly. So there's balance of going out to attack, but not forgetting the defensive aspects of the game, as well."

Mindful of the toll last season's workload took on onballers Mark Coughlan and Shane Tuck, Wallace wheeled a number of players through the midfield yesterday, Nathan Foley prolific early and David Rodan, playing his first football since last year's knee reconstruction, good later.

Coughlan did not play, having had a slightly sore back, along with Greg Tivendale, Mark Chaffey, Kel Moore and draftee Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, who have degrees of groin soreness but should be ready for the NAB Cup. Nathan Brown, who probably won't play until the start of next month, played runner.

Wallace said that, having put in an exhaustive effort last pre-season to impress his coaches, Richardson was fresher than he had been this time last year. He expected his young opponent, Schulz, to play plenty of senior football this year, and become gradually more capable of handling the big names.

"Whether he's ready each week, week in, week out, over 120 minutes, to take the best players, is questionable. He hasn't played much senior footy at this stage," Wallace said.

"He needs to be able to play on the third-best forward at times, but also be able to take the responsibility to step up and take the good one, so that he keeps progressing and keeps learning, as well."

Richmond will wind up its community camp in Ballarat with meetings this morning, with Wallace looking to play his "probable" first-round NAB Cup players against the "possibles" in another practice at Victoria Park next week.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/02/08/1139379569951.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger hopefuls out to make favourable impressions (Ballarat Courier)
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2006, 04:13:15 AM »
Tiger hopefuls out to make favourable impressions
Ballarat Courier
Thursday, 9 February 2006

IT'S just not football - better suited to cricket - when a strong, hot northerly blows across the Learmonth Oval.
But AFL Richmond players made it look easy in a hotly-contested intra-club practice match yesterday.

A number of Richmond senior list hopefuls, blended in with a sprinkling of Ballarat and Central Highlands Football Leagues players and a Ballarat central umpire Jarrod Waight for good measure.

While the score was incidental, the fight for a guernsey in the "probables versus the possibles" match next weekend was at stake.

Tigers coach Terry Wallace took a distinctive country coach approach by sitting atop the coaching box, keen to marshall his troops early as overseer of both sides.

Star forward Nathan Brown, still showing a slight limp from his much publicised badly broken right leg from last season, was coach Wallace's main runner during the full scale practice match.

"Browny, tell Cleve (Hughes) that in the first minute of the game he has missed two tackles in a row," Wallace shouted.

Moments later, Andrew Kellaway left the ground for stitches to a cut near his left eye and Wallace announced "the first one for winter" as he relishes the adrenalin oozing from the match.

He told The Courier that spearhead Matthew Richardson only missed out on the club's best and fairest last season because of a clash with a Carlton footballer early in the first quarter of a late season match.

"He only missed out by one vote," Wallace said.

But Richardson showed plenty of signs that he will again be a force this season and he teamed up with young gun Brett Delidio early as Wallace set the sides against each other with the best forwards versus the best defenders.

Wallace wants the club video to concentrate on the stoppages and the fringes around the packs.

Wallace said the Ballarat AFL camp would finish today with a rehab morning of a swim and weights followed by a team meeting.

"We will be setting goals at the meeting, the aims and objectives and standards to be set for the season."

Wallace said he was realatively happy with the soon-to-be trialled NAB Cup pre-season competition's new rules.

"I am a bit surprised and bemused, though, that they changed the kick-out rule, but otherwise I have no issues," Wallace said.

Meanwhile, the game was in full swing and it was obvious - Terry Wallace loves his football.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/detail.asp?class=sport&subclass=local&story_id=457370&category=General%20Sport&m=2&y=2006

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2006, 04:21:06 AM »
Cheers to Moi for putting up with a dodgy phone connection from Learmonth :cheers.

Hot fairly blustery conditions greeted the players but the oval looked in good nick. Grandstand side was packed with kids sitting inside the fence. Crowd between one to two thousand. A local mentioned watching an intra-club game is strange as there's little crowd noise such as cries of 'ball'. Only when's there a good mark or goal to your get a cheer.

No sign of Oakley-Nicholls, Casserley, Cogs, Knobel or Moore in Learmonth. Tivs and Chaffey spent most of the arvo together on the boundary except when Tivs acted as runner. Browny was also a runner. Greg Miller was also a spectator.

Standard of the game improved as the game went along. Skills (as far as hitting targets) were far better in the second half. There was also more of the run and carry gameplan we expect under Wallace's coaching with dishing off of the footy via handball to teammates running past and breaking the lines. This meant more direct play particularly from the Kings. Overall not a bad hit-out first up.

The teams:

Royals (White jumpers)

1. Newman - Good game for 3 quarters and especially so in the second. Spent a fair bit of time in the centre square and did well there IMO. He still played more of a receiving role but he ran to the right spots to feed off Tucky's handballs at pace into space and then kick forward.

2. Gas - only played the first half. He was walking around along the boundary so nothing wrong as far as I saw. A usual Gas game.

5. Simmonds - Very pleased with Simmo. Although he didn't dominate the ruck, his work and run around the ground was excellent. He's obviously more mobile and agile without all that extra weight that Freo stacked on him. Pushed forward to snag 3 goals from marks on the lead so a pretty good game all round.

8. Roach - Not a BP that's for sure. Jacko took him apart. Didn't do much else apart from two good kicks inside 50 when he got the ball forward of centre. Probably the only one from yesterday's match at this stage that I think might be playing his final year.

11. Joel Bowden - Probably a compliment that I forgot to tell Moi he was one of the Royals' better players. Another solid game from Joel.

14. Polo - Reasonable game in the centre but he spent most of that against Foley so came out second in that duel.

17. Johnson - Like Joel one of the Royals' best. One of the few to play a solid 4 quarters for them. Got plenty of the ball in the guts as well as in defence floating in front of oncoming Kings' forwards. Lovely mark with Richo bearing down on him in the 3rd quarter.

19. Limbach - I thought he was quiet in the first half with Jacko on him but came into the game more in the second half to kick a couple of goals. Took a couple of nice marks as well.

21. Tuck - Best on ground for the Royals as far as winning the ball and impact. The middle quarters he was simply burning. No second year blues based on this match.

22. Meyer - Very good first half but quiet in the second. The first quarter he was in everything playing on a HFF. Sheesh this kid can kick a footy.

25. Schulz - Felt sorry for Sarge today. Did well on the big fella up to 3/4 time with some timely fists; then Richo gives him a spanking in the space of 10 minutes in the last quarter 1-on-1 with little pressure from upfield.

26. Pattison - Another Royal who had a very good first half but was quiet in the second. Played across CHF as well as pushing up the ground. Marked and kicked well and his mobility for a big guy looked good.  Kellaway appeared to be on him but he got away from Chubba early on. Moved into the ruck in the last and did well with the tap outs.

30. Tambling - Played only the first half and like Gas appeared to be only rested. While he was one the ground he played FP. I just thought Tambo didn't make maximum use to the chances he had. He had Rainesy beaten a couple of times and just mucked it up.

31. Hyde - I didn't see him go off but it must have been very early on.

34. Hughes - That article by Goughy summed up Cleve's game well. He's got that something special for a key forward (sticky hands and a good kick) but he needs to turn glimpses of it into 4 consistent quarters. But hey he's what 18 and it's only his first pre-season so what else would you expect from a young tall. A good tussle with McGuane with honours even.

43. Howat - I must admit I didn't notice Cam until he moved onto Lids in the second half. Lids didn't have that much influence on the game so perhaps a tick to Howat.

Local Ballarat players -Royals:

20. Corey F@gg  (Moi kept asking me was a guy called Limp on the Royals side and I didn't have a clue who the hell she was talking about :lol )
36. Lee Cox - by now Moi thought I was making the names up :rollin. Actually he got a fair bit of footy in that last quarter. His introduction to AFL footy was manning up on Lids!
38. Nathan Blomeley (the sheet had Bromlie)
41. Matt Madden
42. Cam McCabe
44. John Basham - Moi loved his surname ;D

Kings (Black jumpers)

3. Lids - As I mentioned he didn't have much influence on the game. Started up forward a kicked 2 points from long distance. Moved into the middle in the second half. Probably his best quarter was the last where he was solid.

4. Raines - Matched up in a back-pocket against Tambo. Tambo got to the ball ahead of him a few times but he wasn't punished. Best quarter would of been the last too when the Kings defence got on top.

10. Stafford - Only saw him in the first quarter where he kicked a goal from a set-shot.

12. Richo - Blew them away in the last with 4 goals in succession. Gas has him early then Sarge. What was a pretty good duel between him and Sarge was blown out of the water when Richo marked, snapped and snagged everything that came his way. He's a matchbreaker and winner when on song. Obviously the Kings best with 6 goals.           

15. Pettifer - Happy with Kayne's game off a HFF. Solid with a couple of goals.

16. Pat Bowden - If he can play off a wing in the real stuff for 22-25 weeks like he did today then we've got a very handy pick up. Got better as the game went along and was burning by the last linking from defence and kicking inside 50.

18. Rodan - Good solid 4 quarters from D-Rod in the midfield which not only is good for us but will give him further confidence in his knee.

20. Hall - Must admit I didn't notice Razor except for a couple of times out there. Fairly quiet.

23. Jackson - Start on Limbach and was fairly quiet in the first half. Moved forward in the second half (against Roachy) and bagged 2 quick goals to put the Kings briefly in front in the third term before finishing with another after a good mark in the goalsquare. No misses. Has he found his niche up forward? He's been playing forward during scratch matches at training.

27. Krakouer - Played well and most pleasing he didn't go missing for long periods and he has in past years. Silky skills and one of our best tacklers. Only "negative" was he and Tucky were playing wide of each other and Tucky was one of the Royals' best. It appeared the coaches wanted it that way as no message or change was made.

33. Hartigan - Solid effort from Brent. I liked his game in defence and rebounding from defensive 50.

35. White - Didn't really notice Matty today. His efforts in some of the scratch matches at training were far more influential.

38. McGuane - Had a really good duel with Hughes. Probably the first time I would say he's gone to the next level in his development. Still nowhere ready though (like Hughes only shows glimpses of what he is capable of) but if he can keep improving  then that's all you can ask at his age. 

39. Kellaway - Looked to be on Patto early on and Patto got away from him. Better in the second half.

41. Foley - Was best on ground IMO up to quarter time in the midfield. Not as influential after that but still pretty good.

42. Humm - Had a fairly good game. Got a bit of the ball particularly after half-time and used it well. Good insurance as a mature rookie.

44. Graham - Centre bounce tapwork was not bad but was quiet apart from that.

Local Ballarat players - Kings:
13. Robert Young
37. Tristian May
40. Paul McMahon
43. Gerard Brick
45. Malcolm Niblett

Umpires: - Adam Davis (AFL), Martin Ellis (AFL), Jarrod Waight (VFL).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2006, 04:58:41 AM »
Question for MT when you get back.

I was wondering if Jacko doing well on Roach is an indication that Jacko is doing well or Roach the opposite.

Probably a bit of both Moi. Jacko's effort wasn't a one-off as he's done fairly well as a leading forward pocket in some of the scratch matches. Roachy just looked lost as a BP.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2006, 05:37:20 AM »
Where the ring-ins come from:

---------------------

9 of the Ballarat Football League finest young footballers will live out a childhood dream when they line up for the Richmond FC (Tigers) in an Inter-club practice match at Learmonth on Wednesday 8th February 4pm.

Paul McMahon ? Lake Wendouree FC
Matthew Madden - Lake Wendouree FC
Nathan Blomeley ? Redan FC
Derek Micaleff ? Redan FC
Malcome Niblett ? Sebastopol FC
Gerard Brick ? Sebastopol FC
Cameron McCabe ? Darley FC
Tristan May ? Ballarat FC
Corey F@gg ? Ballarat FC

http://www.bfl.vcfl.com.au/newsitem.asp?id=18465&orgID=3&Oname=Ballarat+FL&O1c=7&O10c=10

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2006, 02:57:12 PM »
Great reports MT & Moi.  :thumbsup
One question I have though, did Hughes kick one goal or two? MT's report says one while Gough's said two?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2006, 04:12:48 PM »
Great reports MT & Moi.  :thumbsup
One question I have though, did Hughes kick one goal or two? MT's report says one while Gough's said two?

I may have mixed Patto and Hughes up with a goal in the first quarter which I didn't see who it was. I thought it was Hughes but the guys were handslapping Patto so I gave it to him.

Moi

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2006, 05:01:50 PM »
Didn't realise the swear filter, filtered that  ;D learn something new everyday
Would you like me to test the filter out to see what it can and can't do?  ;D

Moi

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2006, 05:06:44 PM »
4. Raines - Matched up in a back-pocket against Tambo. Tambo got to the ball ahead of him a few times but he wasn't punished. Best quarter would of been the last too when the Kings defence got on top.
From what you've seen of him in training will he play in the preseason cup, whatever it's called.
You say Roachy's one you think might be in his last season.  Have to say the same for Rainsey if he doesn't get a go and do well this year.  He needs to play every game in the preseason and not sitting on the bench.
Couldn't care less if we lost the game - just want to try out some of the kids.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2006, 05:14:16 PM »
From what you've seen of him in training will he play in the preseason cup, whatever it's called.
You say Roachy's one you think might be in his last season.  Have to say the same for Rainsey if he doesn't get a go and do well this year.  He needs to play every game in the preseason and not sitting on the bench.
Couldn't care less if we lost the game - just want to try out some of the kids.

With 2 extra spots on the bench and no Browny, Rainesy should play. We're playing a similar young side in Hawthorn so there's even more reason to play him.

At the moment Rainsey's still a fringe player. From the guys drafted in 2003 along with him, IMO Rainsey's ahead of Roachy, on par with Jacko (hard to compare totally different players) and behind Tucky and Hartigan. Hopefully he does come on this year.

Sumatran TIger

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2006, 09:09:45 PM »
Where the ring-ins come from:

---------------------

9 of the Ballarat Football League finest young footballers will live out a childhood dream when they line up for the Richmond FC (Tigers) in an Inter-club practice match at Learmonth on Wednesday 8th February 4pm.

Paul McMahon ? Lake Wendouree FC
Matthew Madden - Lake Wendouree FC
Nathan Blomeley ? Redan FC
Derek Micaleff ? Redan FC
Malcome Niblett ? Sebastopol FC
Gerard Brick ? Sebastopol FC
Cameron McCabe ? Darley FC
Tristan May ? Ballarat FC
Corey F@gg ? Ballarat FC

http://www.bfl.vcfl.com.au/newsitem.asp?id=18465&orgID=3&Oname=Ballarat+FL&O1c=7&O10c=10

Geez, these Ballarat people hold grudges.

There is one name missing from the BFL's list of BFL players who played in the intra-club match at Learmonth yesterday.

Matty White.

He is from Sunbury. Played for Sunbury Lions who everyone knows is hated by Ballarat people.

I hear that some of the Ballarat Tigers said some not too nice words to Matty at Wednesday nights dinner, when he responded to their question, Where did you play footy before Tigerland?

There have been some Sunbury idiots do some well publicised stupid things in the BFL but surely these Ballarat Tiger faithful support all our Tiger players, no matter where they come from?

Moi

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2006, 09:18:52 PM »
Llike Days of our Lives, Sumatran lol
Sounds like one very bitter and twisted league.

BTW, welcome to OER  :thumbsup

Sumatran TIger

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2006, 09:56:11 PM »
Thanks Moi,

I enjoy all the Tiger websites and hope to get some and put some good info/from/onto OER.

Go Tiges.