Author Topic: Dimma’s big 2017 Grand Final regret (Herald-Sun)  (Read 470 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma’s big 2017 Grand Final regret (Herald-Sun)
« on: September 25, 2019, 05:09:36 PM »
Dimma’s big 2017 Grand Final regret

Liam Twomey
Herald-Sun
25 September 2019

It was crazier than any Richmond fan could ever have imagined.

When the Tigers broke their premiership drought in 2017, the streets of Melbourne were literally painted yellow and black as fans spilled onto Swan Street to kick off hours of celebrations.

From lines at barbers to get “Dusty Cuts” to countless renditions of the club song – this was the ultimate premiership party.

However, for Richmond coach Damien Hardwick, it did leave him with one regret.

When he thinks back to that day and night, which he admits he does all the time, he wishes the players got the chance to experience the celebrations with the Tiger Army.

“The one regret I had was that we won the flag but we didn’t actually get to go down Swan Street,” he said in the book, “Richmond F.C – The Tigers”.

“I would have loved for the bus to turn left, not right, when taking us to the Cas-ino.”

It wasn’t through lack of effort that the premiership Tigers didn’t get down Swan Street.

They tried to convince their bus driver to turn left, but he explained it would have been the final move of the night.

“We tried to get the bus driver to turn but he said, ‘Listen, if I go in there, this bus ain’t coming out.

“It would have been just great to spend it with the fans.

“I think it’s the one downside about the Grand Final aftermath. If we could have just come back to Punt Road and got all the supporters back here and have the premiership cup come out every 10 minutes and cheer and sing the song again. It’s one of my great regrets.

“But we’ll just have to do it again, won’t we.”

The Tigers will have the chance when they shoot for their second premiership in four years on Saturday.

If they win, what will the celebrations look like this time?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-wednesday-september-25-2019/live-coverage/c5578b04a0becb7b9af9713c5e1bc55c

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dimma’s big 2017 Grand Final regret (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 07:06:06 PM »
Just shows why Hardwick is a great coach and a kegend if our club. Win on Saturday and he is an immortal in waiting.