Author Topic: Tigers all class in Ablett tribute (Foxsports)  (Read 784 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers all class in Ablett tribute (Foxsports)
« on: October 27, 2020, 04:56:22 AM »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riewoldt confirmed on Fox Footy the act was a deliberate way to ensure the moment was purely about Ablett.

“I spoke to Danger and just said, look, we’d really like to do this,” he said on AFL 360.

“To be honest the medal idea came from when Dustin did it in 2017. He didn’t wear his Norm Smith around when all of us had our premiership medals on and he didn’t want to be the only one out with two medals.

“This isn’t a moment for us, we paused our celebrations, this was actually about respecting and honouring a champion of the game. I’d hate for Gary to look back on those images and see all of us standing there with the spoils of victory, and take the shine away from what has arguably been the greatest career in AFL history.

“A small gesture but we’ve had some correspondence with Geelong and they really appreciate it. As Dustin said in his speech, he’s one of the greatest players to ever play the game and he deserves the respect. We were happy to give that to him and to send him the love.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/richmond-players-made-extraordinary-gesture-in-gary-ablett-farewell-tribute/news-story/cd1cebd9c08c9cf7fddab7a1278bce06

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tigers all class in Ablett tribute (Foxsports)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 08:24:31 AM »
Well done to our players. Humble and respectful champions. Sadly others are not like that especially opposition supporters who are once again disgracing themselves.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 09:21:21 AM »
Liked this a lot.

Gaz is a champ. Deserved it.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 02:09:50 PM »
Like Adam Goodes in his last few years, Ablett became more of a free kick milker with the umpires which grated on fans of his.
He was never the same player after that shoulder injury and probably went a year too many.
Before 2014, he was probably as good a pure footballer I’ve ever seen play the game.
His kicking action is perfect.
After that, I can’t remember his legend growing at all which is a shame but separates the all time greats from the champions
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 02:55:49 PM »
Liked this a lot.

Gaz is a champ. Deserved it.

Yeh apart from dumping the club that made him and going to GC for more $$$ and then refusing to play for the GC when he had a niggle.