Author Topic: Our Under 24 depth  (Read 1589 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Our Under 24 depth
« on: May 12, 2021, 06:59:52 PM »
According to SEN:

Defenders: Noah Balta, Liam Baker, Rhyan Mansell, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Ryan Garthwaite, Sydney Stack

Midfielders: Shai Bolton, Jack Graham, Jack Ross, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Patrick Naish, Will Martyn, Thomson Dow

Forwards: None (Bolton and Stack can both play forward)

Rucks: Callum Coleman-Jones

Yet to debut: Hugo Ralphsmith, Maurice Rioli Jnr, Samson Ryan, Mate Colina, Noah Cumberland, Ben Miller, Bigoa Nyuon

Analysis: The Tigers have a number of high quality under-24 players who have already been important in the club’s recent premiership success. Shai Bolton (weekend mishap aside) has emerged as one of the most promising young players in the competition and hopefully for Tigers fans, the club can secure him to a new deal as soon as possible. Defender Noah Balta, who can also operate in the ruck and perhaps one day as a forward, is also one of the league’s best young talents. Off the rookie list, Liam Baker is a genuinely reliable AFL footballer, while Jack Graham is an underrated midfielder who has three premiership medallions to his name. Sydney Stack, who can play multiple positions, started brightly at AFL level but that has burnt out in the past 18 months. Richmond has a solid group of players 23 and under, some of which are still finding their way.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/11/which-club-has-the-most-depth-under-24-in-the-afl/

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Our Under 24 depth
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 10:16:19 PM »
Jack Graham three premiership medals?
Here was me thinking a heroic effort with a dislocated shoulder meant he only had two

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 10:18:24 PM »
I rate 4 of them.

2 more I think will make it.

The rest are unknowns or fails.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 05:17:34 AM »
I rate 4 of them.

Can you name the six?
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 08:40:35 AM »
I rate 4 of them.

Can you name the six?

Sure:

I rate (they are AFL standard for sure)
- Balta
- Baker
- Bolton
- Graham

I think will make it (based on what I have seen at AFL level):
- Mansell
- RCD

Everyone else is either; unknown (Stack and the yet to debut bunch); lots of hype but no genuine demonstration of ability at the highest level (CCJ); or doesn't look likely so far (the rest, such as Martyn, Dow, Naish, DES, Garth, Ross).

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 11:06:40 AM »
I rate 4 of them.

Fair.

Can you name the six?

Sure:

I rate (they are AFL standard for sure)
- Balta
- Baker
- Bolton
- Graham

I think will make it (based on what I have seen at AFL level):
- Mansell
- RCD

Everyone else is either; unknown (Stack and the yet to debut bunch); lots of hype but no genuine demonstration of ability at the highest level (CCJ); or doesn't look likely so far (the rest, such as Martyn, Dow, Naish, DES, Garth, Ross).

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 11:12:09 AM »
Bit harsh on Dow...didn't set the world on fire in his two games but wasn't obviously off the pace like Martyn & showed exciting glimpses in last year's pre-season -don't forget his return to the VFL two weeks ago was only his third competitive match since he was drafted....also the pre-injury bulked up confident Ross playing on ball was a completely different beast to the skinny nervous fish-out-of-water flanker we're seeing now...even if he only ends up being a poor man's Wines/rich man's Arnott(another bulky on-baller who trimmed down and then got played out of position in the seniors) that'd still be handy... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 11:57:12 AM »
Still got hope for Martyn. He had 12 disposals in 57% game time so something to work on. Just needs to get more urgency in his disposals and that can be worked on.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 11:13:23 PM »
Looked way off the pace to me.

Not saying he won't make it - just nothing from his debut to suggest that he's going to make it either.

You see blokes like Mansell and RCD on debut and you can see they will probably make it IMO.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 03:12:01 PM »

Not saying he won't make it - just nothing from his debut to suggest that he's going to make it either.

You see blokes like Mansell and RCD on debut and you can see they will probably make it IMO.
I agree with all that.

I like it when lists are broken down a bit more.  Juniors 18 -21 we have 16. Development 22 - 24 we have 9. Mature 25 -28 we have 10 Vets 29 plus we will  have 9 this yr at some stage.

Of the juniors only Balta, Ross and stack have 20 games the rest are all single digit or none at all

5 of the 9 Development players have played between 50 and 109 games.Only Bolton looks like being possibly A grade elite.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 04:31:22 PM »

Yeah I do agree with that. Just want to give him another chance. Red hot game to make your debut v Port Adelaide in Adelaide.

Regardless of how a debutant goes I always say the name Polo to myself to remind myself to watch a few more games before stamping the kid yeah or nay

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 05:35:51 PM »

Yeah I do agree with that. Just want to give him another chance. Red hot game to make your debut v Port Adelaide in Adelaide.

Regardless of how a debutant goes I always say the name Polo to myself to remind myself to watch a few more games before stamping the kid yeah or nay

Agreed, and his name came to mind for me too.  It of a rarity though for a bloke to play his best game of debut.

Didn't Marty McGrath do the same with a bag of 5?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 06:00:29 PM »
A third of today's side (7) was U24 and today was possibly their most influential as a group together at senior AFL level.

Defenders: Noah Balta, Liam Baker, Rhyan Mansell, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Ryan Garthwaite, Sydney Stack

Midfielders: Shai Bolton, Jack Graham, Jack Ross, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Patrick Naish, Will Martyn, Thomson Dow, Hugo Ralphsmith.

Forwards: None (Bolton and Stack can both play forward)

Rucks: Callum Coleman-Jones

Yet to debut: Maurice Rioli Jnr, Samson Ryan, Mate Colina, Noah Cumberland, Ben Miller, Bigoa Nyuon

ps. Chol is 24.