Author Topic: Turnover Dynasty vs Uncontested Ball  (Read 1235 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Turnover Dynasty vs Uncontested Ball
« on: April 24, 2022, 10:35:43 PM »
We were the kings of scoring from turnovers. That defined our dynasty. Chaos ball was it's name but the KPI that dominated was scoring from turnovers.

What has killed us, not only an aging list, but the rise in importance of uncontested ball and how it can be used to score and pile on goals. So teams chip around zones and giving us no opportunities to create turn overs and thus reducing our scoring avenues. Commoners did this in 2018 prelim, now it's helped with the stand rule.

We turned over the ball a bit tonight, but I'd love to know the stats to compare our own turnover numbers in our dynasty vs now. I wouldn't be surprised if it was much different, I feel the biggest difference is our lack of creating turnovers now and it's looking us. The stand rule has killed us and so many of our players have lost their pace with our younger brigade all non pacey players. Dow, RCD, Ross, Gibcus.

Package that up aswell as an area of the game we haven't out a lot of focus into which is uncontested ball, we are a fair way behind the 8 ball compared to other clubs with better ball users. It's why it chaos ball worked because we didn't have to rely on elite ball users.

Question is, if scoring from turnovers has dried up thanks to rule changes and losing pace, how do we adapt? We have to change something to compete with the best otherwise we will repeat last year.

If be looking at putting Balta in the back line. Dropping Tarrant if it helped team balance. Putting some better kickers behind the ball and giving them more responsibility. Gibcus is a great kick, I want the ball in his hands and start playing uncontested footy more. My issue is, who are our best kickers?

Our turnover brand has dated quickly and we need to evolve it someway. Thoughts, or is our season done and it's time to just play the kids?
Go Tigers!

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Turnover Dynasty vs Uncontested Ball
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 10:39:56 PM »
Forward half pressure and turnovers are still huge. We saw melb do that to us tonight.
But also just contested ball dominance. Their midfield is so dominant. All around the ground they just win the contested ball and it’s an uphill battle from there to try and stop them. Contested tonight was +22 for melb. +68 for uncontested. So they dominate the contest and then spread. Pretty similar to what we used to do!

Online Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 12:04:02 AM »
Another thing that really stood out which we could see with our own eyes is they were much cleaner than us all night. With our fumbling we are our own worst enemy atm.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 09:35:47 PM »
Virtually all our goals so far tonight have been via turnovers. So it still works when the defensive side of our game stands up (albeit against a bottom side).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 10:55:12 PM »
At least 20 goals from turnovers. Apparently the most or 2nd most in the past 20 years  :o.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 11:57:59 PM »
Very true MT, on the Couch discussed it at length in terms of our brand stacks up still, whether we have the energy levels and youth needed to cause turnovers.

Proves we do against bottom sides, think we need have some questions to be answered against the top tier.
Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 01:18:17 AM »
True TL. We still make too many sloppy unforced errors in terms of the basics which the top sides will take advantage of by pushing us back into playing the game in our defensive half. That denies us our forward half and turnover game.