Author Topic: Why 7 years is too much for Giant Duo at Tigerland (SEN)  (Read 1749 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why 7 years is too much for Giant Duo at Tigerland (SEN)
« on: September 10, 2022, 07:07:50 PM »
WHY SEVEN YEARS IS TOO MUCH FOR GIANT DUO AT TIGERLAND

By Ethan Clark
SEN
10 September 2022

The alleged seven-year deals for GWS midfield duo Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper is way over a sensible deal according to SEN’s Gerard Whateley and Kane Cornes.

The midfield pair have both selected Richmond as their preferred destination from 2023, with Hopper surprising many in overlooking strong interest from Geelong.

However, Whateley and Cornes believe the deal sets up a dilemma for the next potential coach of the Tigers if Hardwick were to depart before 2029.

“I was grappling with seven years for Taranto. I’m flawed by seven years for Hopper, like absolutely flawed,” Whateley said.

“The other thing is it’s not going to be Damien Hardwick’s problem. It’s going to be very unlikely that he’s going to coach Richmond for 20 years,” Cornes explained.

“So, he’s gone, ‘Get me another premiership in the next three years.’ He wants another premiership now and if it takes seven years to get them well when Jacob Hopper is 33 in the seventh year of that contract it's not going to be Hardwick’s problem.

“Similarly with (Alastair) Clarkson at Hawthorn. Get me (Chad) Wingard, (Jaeger) O’Meara and (Tom) Mitchell, it’s not going to be my problem, I’m going to be long gone.

“I’m not sure it’s the most responsible move from Richmond to give players like that seven years.”

After being eliminated in Week 1 of the Finals, the Tigers re-signed veterans Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt for one year, and with the strong belief that star Dustin Martin will remain at Tigerland next season on top of the two Giants joining the ranks, one would think it’s all in at a flag tilt in 2023.

Hopper averaged 19.3 disposals from just seven games in 2022, while Tim Taranto averaged 25.5 touches from 16 matches.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/10/why-seven-years-is-too-much-for-giant-duo-at-tigerland/

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Why 7 years is too much for Giant Duo at Tigerland (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 08:49:16 AM »
 :lol. This belongs in the sooks thread.  ;D
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 09:05:55 AM »
That’s a surprise , Richmond haters  suggesting  it’s a terrible  mistake.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 10:30:10 AM »
It took 37 years to win a premiership in my lifetime.  Happy to pay 7 years for another one

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 10:47:35 AM »
I do see what he's saying. A lot can happen in 7 years. Tarranto is fair enough but tbh, I don't know enough about Hopper to be certain whether 7 years is appropriate. I don't care though, if they help us nab a flag or 2 then it's well worth it. It's what they play footy for and it's what we want as supporters
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 11:39:31 AM »
Stupid article, but the jury is still out on hopper for mine.

Could we not have poached Green instead?
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 12:10:50 PM »
I do see what he's saying. A lot can happen in 7 years. Tarranto is fair enough but tbh, I don't know enough about Hopper to be certain whether 7 years is appropriate. I don't care though, if they help us nab a flag or 2 then it's well worth it. It's what they play footy for and it's what we want as supporters

Just look the probability of a 25 year old with 140 odd games who is as highly decorated as these 2 playing another 100-120 games of 7 days as the minimum. It’s much more likely than not that they will still be around playing good footy until at least season 6 if not season 7 of the deal.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 02:04:55 PM »
Eathan Clark for a journalist making spelling mistakes a high schooler would make.

The word he should have used is "floored" not flawed.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 03:45:10 PM »
I personally think it’s great list management.

There’s alot to like with the both of them.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=25&pid1=4169&fid1=C&playerStatus2=A&tid2=25&pid2=6333&fid2=C&type=A
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 08:25:37 PM »
Funny thing is the Geelol wankers on BF saying it's too long and we are paying too much and going on about their astute salary management etc.

Bottom line is they clearly offered Hopper around 5 years. They just got pipped by a bigger and better team.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 08:35:29 PM »
Funny thing is the Geelol wankers on BF saying it's too long and we are paying too much and going on about their astute salary management etc.

Bottom line is they clearly offered Hopper around 5 years. They just got pipped by a bigger and better team.

I wonder what they'll say when Taranto and Hopper knock Geesook and their salty campaigner supporters out of the finals next year?

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 08:48:05 PM »
7 is one year too many IMO for Hopper, but our list management has been excellent for a while now, as good as anyone with salary cap management. We quite possibly are back ending those deals and needed to give them an extra year or two to be able to do that. I have no issue in trying to squeeze out another flag in the Dusty Era.

Post Dusty these guys will be leading Bolton and Sonsie and co. I'm totally fine with giving bog deals to proven mid 20 yos. Much better than topping up with old finished players or getting kids who are unproven and placing heaps of pressure on them - Scully / Tom Boyd examples.

This is Caddy and Prestia but just on longer deals. I'm all for it.
Go Tigers!

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 10:19:07 PM »
I was thinking this could be the start of a gws trio that can take us to glory like the gcs trio did. Prestia/caddy is a perfect analogy for Taranto/Hopper. I guess Green will want to play along former gws mates and will be joining us soon then  :shh