Author Topic: Failure saps fight out of Tiger army - Rohan Connolly  (Read 1444 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Failure saps fight out of Tiger army - Rohan Connolly
« on: July 22, 2007, 04:06:39 AM »
Failure saps fight out of Tiger army
Rohan Connolly | July 22, 2007
Grant Thomas no longer writes for The Sunday Age

RICHMOND supporters used to have a fearsome reputation as not only the most passionate but most volatile fans in football. It was well-earned.

When the glories of the 1960s and '70s finally gave way to continued mediocrity, it's fair to say the Tiger army didn't take it too well.

I can still hear the fury of the lynch mob that descended upon the rooms after a 141-point flogging at the hands of North Melbourne early in 1990. They didn't just want answers. They wanted blood. Preferably both.

The Tigers were coming off a wooden spoon, armed with one of the weakest line-ups in their history, but that hadn't quelled their supporters' demand for results, nor a refusal to accept humiliating thrashings of that size.

But year upon year of more disappointment since then seems to have taken a toll on not only an entire club, but also its fan base.

Richmond is set to return a season statistically even more barren than the four wins recorded in its last wooden spoon year of 2004. Worse than anything Carlton has served up in the past five years.

Just one victory from a side that chalked up 11 of them last season has been an amazing downturn. But while Richmond supporters aren't exactly turning cartwheels, there doesn't seem nearly the same degree of angst as of yore.

No storming of the barricades. No dumping manure outside the Punt Road offices. More a sad resignation to what has become the Tiger fan's lot. Life at the bottom of the ladder.

It's a mindset you can't help but wonder has become a permanent part of the club they follow. For the same terminal flaws seemed to have dogged Richmond for a long, long time.

Questionable recruiting. On-field leaders too satisfied with too little. Kids whose development seems to occur at a snail's pace. And skill levels embarrassingly poor.

It's true the Tigers haven't given up much to recruit the experienced Mark Graham, Trent Knobel and Kent Kingsley over recent years. But the damage symbolically has been to give the impression of a club having a bob each-way rather than making a concerted commitment to building a team for the longer-term.

The highly rated kids, meanwhile, haven't exactly jumped out of the box. First-round draft picks Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls and Danny Meyer have had next to no impact.

Oakley-Nicholls is yet to complete a decent pre-season through injury and may have some excuse. Meyer needs to show something in a hurry. So does Richard Tambling, whose poor effort last week against Hawthorn was particularly ill-timed.

All of them need better examples coming from the top. Skipper Kane Johnson is a shadow these days of the damaging on-baller he was in Adelaide. Joel Bowden bleeds yellow-and-black, but his propensity for the odd clanger can have a cancerous effect on impressionable young teammates. And skills haven't exactly been a forte of Richmond's senior core over recent years. Darren Gaspar and Andrew Kellaway were great clubmen and dogged defenders, but not great users of the footy.

Some of the better players still in the mix now have plenty of similar issues. Shane Tuck is one. Even Mark Coughlan, still a great hope for the future despite his shocking injury run, would want to tidy up his disposal upon return.

It's an on-going conundrum. The silkier players for the Tigers are the younger types who, Nathan Foley aside, still can't win enough of their own football. The more prolific ball-getters often seem to be the biggest culprits when it comes to errors.

The brittleness of Richmond's list has been seriously exposed this season through the absences of ruckman Troy Simmonds, Coughlan and Nathan Brown.

To some extent, it bears out the point coach Terry Wallace made pre-season about the dearth of players in that early to mid-20s age bracket. It's precisely that group that has helped engineer Geelong's stunning turnaround this season.

For Richmond, that's going to take even more time. With two years left on his contract, Wallace has that. But if the nightmare that 2007 has proved is going to be reversed at all, there can be scarcely any more margin for error.

Not at the drafting table, certainly. Not on the training track, where the development of much-heralded youngsters needs to be expedited. And nor in the explanations delivered to a long-suffering fan base.

Things are not about to get any easier with away matches against Sydney, Geelong and West Coast, plus a clash against Collingwood to come in the next four weeks. The Tiger army has been more than patient. Perhaps there's a better understanding of the intricacies required now in lifting a club from the doldrums.

You can't just go out now and get an Ian Stewart or John Pitura, like the late Graeme Richmond would have. Disgruntled fans charging into the rooms wanting Wallace's head aren't going to achieve much either.

But the longer Richmond's malaise lingers, the less likely is a whole club to rediscover the sort of confident swagger it once had. And, dangerously, the more likely that club, and its supporters, will accept a culture in which failure becomes the norm.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/failure-saps-fight-out-of-tiger-army/2007/07/21/1184560108846.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tough times, until a son relights the fire (The Age)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 04:08:59 AM »
Tough times, until a son relights the fire
Tom Pagonis | July 22, 2007 | The Age

I WORE my Richmond jumper all through grade prep in 1967 and we won the premiership that year. Imagine!

I locked myself in the laundry after the 1971 preliminary loss and it took mum an hour to get me out. In 1972, she couldn't find me until she heard sobbing from under the bed.

The 1973 and 1974 victories combined with puberty made me simply invincible. The 1975 preliminary loss introduced me to Brandavino and the 1980 victory proved that dreams do come true. The 1982 grand final loss created a recurring on-going nightmare about that third quarter.

I loved the "eat 'em alive" Richmond. Since 1982, the sackings, wooden spoons, a recruitment approach based on optimism and a series of strategies that add to failure rather than overcome it have tested me.

So I finally surrendered this year. I'd bought my membership, but I couldn't bring myself to use it. For the first time in more than 40 years, I didn't know whether Richmond was good for me.

Then my seven-year-old rescued me. He asked me about why we barrack for Richmond, about the other clubs and what they stand for. I described the failure, which is Footscray. The poverty of the Kangaroos. Geelong's culture of congratulating disappointment. Collingwood, the club that has everything but success. Carlton, a bunch of mercenaries who have finally turned on themselves. St Kilda an evolving joke. Essendon a club that beats with a Richmond heart. South Melbourne and Fitzroy both euthanasia victims. And Melbourne, where a revival always threatens.

This inventory made me realise how lucky I am. I'm still a bloody arrogant Richmond supporter with everything to be proud of, in particular five premierships in my lifetime. Premierships are hard to attain and if we have to pay for this with two or three decades of despair, so be it. Other clubs simply despair.

I'll be there today with my seven-year-old marvelling at how good we are at tackling a state team.

Tom Pagonis is a 46-year-old workplace relations consultant.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/tough-times-until-a-son-relights-the-fire/2007/07/21/1184560108852.html

Moi

Re: Failure saps fight out of Tiger army - Rohan Connolly
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 09:08:59 AM »
Well done Rohan Connolly, it's criticism of the club, but he's actually looked at the club.
Instead of Damien what's his name's flippant off-hand remarks aimed to get a rise out of the Richmond supporters, Rohan has actually looked at where we're pretty much at and looks like he actually has an understanding.

Doesn't mean I agree with him on everything, but it seems to have a bit more balance  :thumbsup

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Tough times, until a son relights the fire (The Age)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:18:27 AM »
I locked myself in the laundry after the 1971 preliminary loss and it took mum an hour to get me out. In 1972, she couldn't find me until she heard sobbing from under the bed.

The 1973 and 1974 victories combined with puberty made me simply invincible. The 1975 preliminary loss introduced me to Brandavino and the 1980 victory proved that dreams do come true.
OK, who put me under hypnosis and dragged that out of me?  :o  :D
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 10:21:51 AM »
lol are you coming out from under the bed to watch today fish?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 07:12:48 PM »
It was a very flat crowd today except when Richo got the ball or offering "advice" to the inconsistent umps.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Passionfruit

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 07:15:48 PM »
You might find people have had enough.
Good luck getting record membership next year as there is no light at the end of the tunnel, thus people are staying away in droves.
The seats in the N section today were and third to half full

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 07:20:26 PM »
lol are you coming out from under the bed to watch today fish?
I just got home from the game and was about to crawl back under when I saw your post.
Good first quarter. A glimpse of what we can do.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Passionfruit

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 07:33:38 PM »
Good that we kicked 7 goals but we still didnt win the quarter

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 07:54:44 PM »
good read from Connolly.

Accurate assessment of where our club is ATM

Passionfruit

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 07:58:39 PM »
good read from Connolly.

Agree

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 09:23:12 PM »
good read from Connolly.

Ditto - fair and balanced

And Grant Thomas no longer writes for the Age btw  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)